4.32Kw System in San Diego just Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.32Kw System in San Diego just Installed

We where all set to install our 4.32Kw system, the wife wanted LG270 all black panels for the looks.
    The install usually take about 3 days to complete and they had the panels in our back yard before putting it up.
    I took a look at the panels and they where LG280s, so we called our installer to find out whats going on.
    He said someone messed up, and we have our options of waiting a few days to get the 270s or just installing the 280s.
    The wife wanted the panels up asap so we just had them put up the 280s. So in the end we got 280s for the 270s price.

What we paid: $15177 for 16 LG270s and Solar Edge SE5000 Inverter. Comes out to be about $3.51 per Watt.
    Not the greatest price, but our installation cost was much higher due to the length of our roof.
    We also got a quote for sunpower at about $4.75 per Watt and it didn't make sense to us.

This was a few month ago, and now after referring some friends recently, our installer got some deals on the Sunpower 320s.
    One got a quote for 27161 for 6.72 Kw System on Sunpower 320s and Solar Edge stuff. That's only $4.04 per Watt for Sunpower.
    We probably would have gone with Sunpower if they had that kind of deal back then.
    Overall we are still happy with our system.

One of our other friends got 14 LG300s at $3.63/Watt from them.
    Attached Files

Originally posted by thethingx View Post
    We where all set to install our 4.32Kw system, the wife wanted LG270 all black panels for the looks.
    The install usually take about 3 days to complete and they had the panels in our back yard before putting it up.
    I took a look at the panels and they where LG280s, so we called our installer to find out whats going on.
    He said someone messed up, and we have our options of waiting a few days to get the 270s or just installing the 280s.
    The wife wanted the panels up asap so we just had them put up the 280s. So in the end we got 280s for the 270s price.

What we paid: $15177 for 16 LG270s and Solar Edge SE5000 Inverter. Comes out to be about $3.51 per Watt.
    Not the greatest price, but our installation cost was much higher due to the length of our roof.
    We also got a quote for sunpower at about $4.75 per Watt and it didn't make sense to us.

This was a few month ago, and now after referring some friends recently, our installer got some deals on the Sunpower 320s.
    One got a quote for 27161 for 6.72 Kw System on Sunpower 320s and Solar Edge stuff. That's only $4.04 per Watt for Sunpower.
    We probably would have gone with Sunpower if they had that kind of deal back then.
    Overall we are still happy with our system.
    You have a more cost effective system that will have about equal production per installed DC kW. Looks like you were not cramped for space. What you missed out on is bragging rights.

Comment

Looks nice, thanks for sharing. If you would have seriously considered that Sunpower proposal, I think you were lucky it wasn't available at the time. What you got looks like a much better deal to me.

Did they fix the flashing on the conduit entry into the attic before closing the tile back up? The downhill side of the flashing would normally be above the paper, not below it.

I hope you will consider joining PVOutout.org and sharing your generation data on Team San Diego. The data collected there is an awesome resource for monitoring your system's health and helping others to learn how to size their array.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
        Looks nice, thanks for sharing. If you would have seriously considered that Sunpower proposal, I think you were lucky it wasn't available at the time. What you got looks like a much better deal to me.

Did they fix the flashing on the conduit entry into the attic before closing the tile back up? The downhill side of the flashing would normally be above the paper, not below it.

I hope you will consider joining PVOutout.org and sharing your generation data on Team San Diego. The data collected there is an awesome resource for monitoring your system's health and helping others to learn how to size their array.
        I don't know about the conduit entry, everything is double flashed. My installer provides a 10 year warranty, so if anything goes wrong I'll be on their ass.
        I'll look into PVoutput, but I'm lazy hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
          You have a more cost effective system that will have about equal production per installed DC kW. Looks like you were not cramped for space. What you missed out on is bragging rights.
          True, the wife just really like the warranty for sunpower.

Comment

Originally posted by thethingx View Post
            True, the wife just really like the warranty for sunpower.
            One way to think of the S.P. warranty is like built in warranty insurance you don't get to turn down. For all the claimed, but as yet mostly unexercised superior warranty benefits, it has been my experience that most folks who speak the loudest and most often about superior warranty usually know the least about why the S.P. warranty may be overkill and make about as much sense as being insurance poor.

And another thing: If their product is supposed to be so damn good, why (if their claim of "best "warranty is to be taken with as much faith as their claims of superior or "best" product) is such a superior warranty needed in the first place ?

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

$4.04/W for a 6.72KW system doesn't mean you will get the same $/W for your smaller 4.32KW system with longer roof. Also they wouldn't necessarily make the same mistake again. So be happy that you got a surprise bonus and a clean installation and enjoy the savings . Congrats!
              16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

Looks great, I'm in Carlsbad and planning a similar installation, would you mind PM'ing your installer? I'm getting the run-around from many of the board favorite installers, keeping around a certain number, which you have apparently reached, with a similar-sized system. Would love to get some facts instead of prideful resentment from installers claiming "they're the best", thats why I should pay more. . . .

Comment

We had a communication problem with the solar edge monitor system. Our installer was pretty responsive to fix it. It took a week because they had to order a new card, and it worked fine after that. The solar was producing power the whole time, just the monitoring system would go off line for a few days and come back for a few days.

Comment

Hey Thing - would you please PM the installer that you went with? Thanks in advance!

Comment

I, too, would appreciate the name of the installer, please!

Comment

Working...
                      X