X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkalos
    • Jul 2015

Are A Shade Greener any good?

Hi guys, I've just signed up to enquire about a free installation on the link below. I'm pretty sure my property is in a decent spot and should be eligible. The site says that A Shade Greener are a BBC Watchdog approved company so I'm hopeful - anyone care to share their experience if any?

thanks in advance

The owners of this Forum prefer posters to not put direct links to their competitors. Thanks for your understanding.
    Last edited by SunEagle; 07-27-2015, 09:54 AM. Reason: removed advertisement link to a solar equip website
  • Raul
    Solar Fanatic
    • May 2015

A shade greener are operating in UK only . They rent your roof for a fixed period and owe the equipment , cash in the FIT. You get free electricity for the duration of contract but, if you want to sell you're stuffed. Be very carefull. It's like wonga ;

Comment

• Mykel
      • Jul 2015

Correct Reply

Hi,

I work for A Shade Greener and would like to clear things up a bit.

We only operate in England and Wales. Our service is completely free and the home owner benefits from all the electricity generated, halving their electricity bills. We get paid the FIT which allows us to offer this for free.

Selling a home is no problem, the solar panels just stay with the home. I'm not sure what the reference to Wonga is in the first reply :s

Hope this helps.

Comment

• harrison962
        harrison962 commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi,
        Really hoping you can help with my query we are in the process of moving house this Friday! We need to know who a shade greener are accredited by and insured by -can't get through by email or phone. Many thanks
    • J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Mykel
      Hi,

I work for A Shade Greener and would like to clear things up a bit.

We only operate in England and Wales. Our service is completely free and the home owner benefits from all the electricity generated, halving their electricity bills. We get paid the FIT which allows us to offer this for free.

Selling a home is no problem, the solar panels just stay with the home. I'm not sure what the reference to Wonga is in the first reply :s

Hope this helps.
      And if the owner wants to sell to someone who, for whatever reason, doesn't want to take advantage of your kind and generous offer ? Or, what does that do to the marketability of the hose in terms of decreasing the # of potential buyers. Or other considerations. Sounds a lot like a U.S. PPA to me.

Comment

• Raul
        Solar Fanatic
        • May 2015

Well , a shade greener are not the only one they do this type of bussines. I came across this very problem , and my brother inlaw took over 2 and half years to sell and that's in NV London where is a huge demand for properties. Let alone the hassle he had to go thru with roof repairs near and under array .
        This is the truth I'm afraid . If you not planing on moving for the length of the contract than it may be ok.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Raul
          Well , a shade greener are not the only one they do this type of bussines. I came across this very problem , and my brother inlaw took over 2 and half years to sell and that's in NV London where is a huge demand for properties. Let alone the hassle he had to go thru with roof repairs near and under array .
          This is the truth I'm afraid . If you not planing on moving for the length of the contract than it may be ok.

Caveat Emptor.

Comment

• Mykel
            • Jul 2015

Selling With Solar

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            And if the owner wants to sell to someone who, for whatever reason, doesn't want to take advantage of your kind and generous offer ? Or, what does that do to the marketability of the hose in terms of decreasing the # of potential buyers. Or other considerations. Sounds a lot like a U.S. PPA to me.
            We have not had an issue with our customers selling their homes. Many of the concerns surrounding the sale of homes with solar panels on are based purely on speculation or on articles asserting that the author would not buy them.

A survey by ING Direct showed solar panels to be the most desired home improvement for those looking to buy.

Originally posted by Raul
            Your brother-in-law may have experienced issues but this will not be one of our systems. Issues arise not from the presence of the solar panels but the lease, many firms did not consider the selling of properties when they created their lease and that lead to issues with mortgage providers.

Fortunately it is something we considered and that is why properties with our solar panels on do NOT cause issue when selling.

The issues you have both raised regarding the demand for solar panels has no foundation. Though there are many articles out there that scaremonger they offer nothing in the way of evidence, they only assert opinion.

To support our claim we have real evidence.

- We have installed over 55,000 solar panels systems
            - We're installing over 400 every week
            - Over 1,000 of those installed properties have been sold
            - We have had over 1,000,000 applications for our free solar panels

The demand is there and the evidence shows this.

Hope this addresses some concerns

Comment

• Thomps971
              Thomps971 commented
              Editing a comment
              Mine have had issues due to lease
          • SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

We have not had an issue with our customers selling their homes. Many of the concerns surrounding the sale of homes with solar panels on are based purely on speculation or on articles asserting that the author would not buy them.

A survey by ING Direct showed solar panels to be the most desired home improvement for those looking to buy.

Your brother-in-law may have experienced issues but this will not be one of our systems. Issues arise not from the presence of the solar panels but the lease, many firms did not consider the selling of properties when they created their lease and that lead to issues with mortgage providers.

Fortunately it is something we considered and that is why properties with our solar panels on do NOT cause issue when selling.

The issues you have both raised regarding the demand for solar panels has no foundation. Though there are many articles out there that scaremonger they offer nothing in the way of evidence, they only assert opinion.

To support our claim we have real evidence.

- We have installed over 55,000 solar panels systems
            - We're installing over 400 every week
            - Over 1,000 of those installed properties have been sold
            - We have had over 1,000,000 applications for our free solar panels

The demand is there and the evidence shows this.

Hope this addresses some concerns
            While your data sounds encouraging I would hazard to say that the feelings about solar panels improving a home's value are not the same all over the world and more to the point here in the US where for some an existing pv system is more of a liability then an improvement.

Different cultures have different levels of appreciation and specifically what is important to their home and lifestyle.

Comment

• Mykel
              • Jul 2015

Originally posted by SunEagle
              While your data sounds encouraging I would hazard to say that the feelings about solar panels improving a home's value are not the same all over the world and more to the point here in the US where for some an existing pv system is more of a liability then an improvement.

Different cultures have different levels of appreciation and specifically what is important to their home and lifestyle.
              Unfortunately we don't have any data for the US, we only cover England and Wales.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Unfortunately we don't have any data for the US, we only cover England and Wales.
                I understand. I just wanted to let anyone else reading this thread that opinions concerning a solar pv system's value is different around the world.

It looks like it is desired in the UK but not so much hear in the USA.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

And, at the end of the analysis, a thing is worth exactly no more and no less than someone is willing to pay.

Comment

• Raul
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

Yes the tax payer and those who can't afford solar even for free if they rent and don't owe the property . That's a fact .

Comment

• harrison962
                      • Jul 2016

Hi,
                      We are due to move house this Friday! ! The solicitors say they have tried contacting a shade greener but can get no response regarding who they are accredited by and who their insurers are- we have enjoyed our panels but need this info and fast - can anyone please help ? We have left countless emails and phone messages to no avail.

Comment

• Raul
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2015

Try send a message to the member that claims he works for the company and he will receive a email notification; try company house or the MCS , they have to be atleast MCS accredited and they may be on the REA, ppl at rea are great help and can guide you on the right direction.

Comment

• Thomps971
                          • Aug 2016

I'm in a mess with my panels I've lost 3 previous sales and 4 is to withdraw offer due to lease panels, I've begged the company to remove lease as promised they would in sale pitch if it caused any problems, my solicitor is also in contact with them, we await out come hopefully the right one if not I'll be the first to start a court action against miss sold solar panels. I won't name company just yet as would not be fair. I stand to lose my life savings on the deposit that's no refundable. I will update name once I feel they have cost me and my family our life savings.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...