Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feedback on Proposal 4.7 kW Sunpower Black with Solaredge SE 5000 (HELP!) San Diego

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feedback on Proposal 4.7 kW Sunpower Black with Solaredge SE 5000 (HELP!) San Diego

Hi All,
    So new to the solar world and got a proposal for 4.7 kW SunPower Black Panels (x 14) with the Solaredge inverter for $ 23,637 (pre-tax credit) with 16546 post tax credit. Is this a good deal? Or can I get a better deal in San Diego. I do love the look of all black panels because the panels will be in the front of the house. I thought this was a good deal, until reading this panel. Thoughts and opinions?

Holy cow, I have no idea what they charge for those black panels but that quote is $5/watt. $5 a watt!

Comment

Originally posted by tatumjonj View Post
      Holy cow, I have no idea what they charge for those black panels but that quote is $5/watt. $5 a watt!
      Yeah, So I thought that was a good deal before reading this forum. But this company seems really reputable. Any thoughts on reputable companies in San Diego? PM me please.

Comment

I live in Temecula, but there are many members here in the SD area. I'm sure one of them will be along with some information shortly.

Comment

There are a lot of reputable companies that will sell you equipment equally fit for purpose for a lot less than $5.00/Watt. It just won't be Sunpower. If you have nothing unusual with no electrical panel upgrades, paying much more than $3.50/Watt, MAYBE a bit more for the relatively small system you are considering, is leaving money on the table. It's a free country, and Sunpower is good stuff, but 5 bucks a Watt is a lot extra for little if any additional annual output. Kind of like buying a Mercedes as a grocery hauler when a Ford is as fit for the task.

Solar panels and PV systems are a commodity like water heaters and garage doors, not a lifestyle.

Look for solar vendors who are and have been licensed electrical contractors for at least 10 years, who have a professional reputation and have sold solar equipment for at least 5 years. Among other advantages, they will likely have the better probability of being aware of the value of a satisfied customer and how that can affect their business, and of being around in the future if needed. They do exist and want your business. So do the "Larry with a ladder" types. Choose your vendor wisely and carefully. That choice is probably as important as the equipment as long as its reputable stuff. See posts here for some comments on equipment brands.

You're after quality work and quality equipment at a tough but fairly negotiated price.

Get more quotes.

Also, get your roof inspected and serviced if necessary. Cheap insurance, often overlooked or ignored. Seems like an expensive PITA, and it is, but worth it.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
            There are a lot of reputable companies that will sell you equipment equally fit for purpose for a lot less than $5.00/Watt. It just won't be Sunpower. If you have nothing unusual with no electrical panel upgrades, paying much more than $3.50/Watt, MAYBE a bit more for the relatively small system you are considering, is leaving money on the table. It's a free country, and Sunpower is good stuff, but 5 bucks a Watt is a lot extra for little if any additional annual output. Kind of like buying a Mercedes as a grocery hauler when a Ford is as fit for the task.

Solar panels and PV systems are a commodity like water heaters and garage doors, not a lifestyle.

Look for solar vendors who are and have been licensed electrical contractors for at least 10 years, who have a professional reputation and have sold solar equipment for at least 5 years. Among other advantages, they will likely have the better probability of being aware of the value of a satisfied customer and how that can affect their business, and of being around in the future if needed. They do exist and want your business. So do the "Larry with a ladder" types. Choose your vendor wisely and carefully. That choice is probably as important as the equipment as long as its reputable stuff. See posts here for some comments on equipment brands.

You're after quality work and quality equipment at a tough but fairly negotiated price.

Get more quotes.

Also, get your roof inspected and serviced if necessary. Cheap insurance, often overlooked or ignored. Seems like an expensive PITA, and it is, but worth it.

Welcome to the neighborhood.
            Thank you for that well thought out response. I seriously thought that was a good price. The home is less than 4 years old, so it should be good. Will take your advice and negotiate fairly.

Comment

Check your PM

Comment

Originally posted by chargers View Post
                Thank you for that well thought out response. I seriously thought that was a good price. The home is less than 4 years old, so it should be good. Will take your advice and negotiate fairly.
                You're welcome.

Even considering Sunpower, it's a higher price than others have paid by 10%, and you can do a lot better on cost effectiveness with other equipment.

Comment

My neighbor three doors down has Sunpower panels. I honestly stopped noticing about 3 days after he had it installed. It looks good, but it's not worth a premium to me. What was worth a premium was having my wires run in wall (no conduit on my house) and having my service upgraded, neither of which he did.

Comment

Originally posted by tatumjonj View Post
                    My neighbor three doors down has Sunpower panels. I honestly stopped noticing about 3 days after he had it installed. It looks good, but it's not worth a premium to me. What was worth a premium was having my wires run in wall (no conduit on my house) and having my service upgraded, neither of which he did.
                    True.

Comment

If you're limited by roof space and has to go with SP, I'd understand. Otherwise, there're better choices that will save you a bundle with similar performance. The LG 300 and 305 are very popular here in SD. You can get them for about $3.5-3.7/W. One level lower, Canadian solar, Solarworld or Trina will save you some more. Even if you had to get SP, $5/W still sounds expansive. I suggest you call a few more installers.
                      16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                        You're welcome.

Even considering Sunpower, it's a higher price than others have paid by 10%, and you can do a lot better on cost effectiveness with other equipment.
                        I guess they sold me on the 25 year warranty with sunpower.

Comment

Originally posted by chargers View Post
                          I guess they sold me on the 25 year warranty with sunpower.
                          1.) NOMB, but I suspect there is a pretty high probability you will not be where the panels will be located for 25 years. Also, and with no promises given, it seems that a lot, or most of the few warranty calls that do occur, including S.P. equipment BTW, happen shortly after install.

2.) Like "performance guarantees", warranties are mostly there as marketing tools as you found out by being "sold on the 25 year warranty". Read the fine print on the warranty, or any warranty for that matter.

BTW: If the stuff is so good, why is such an alleged "better" warranty needed in the first place ?

3.) For a lot less than what you'll save up front by not buying S.P, you can take the somewhat extraordinary step of buying a few spare panels of what you will have installed, and expect to have them get pretty dusty for a long time before you need one and incur the cost of a service call to replace a failed panel.

4.) I bet folks who buy S.P. for a perceived warranty advantage have some of the same outlook on life as those who are insurance poor. One big goal in all this solar panels on roofs business is to have fit for purpose equipment that lasts as long as reasonably estimated, at a sharp price, that doesn't rely on warranty coverage to help you sleep at night.

The best and most cost effective way to achieve that goal is to buy fit for purpose equipment from a good and established vendor. That's your best shot at trouble free operation. If still worried, buy an extended warranty if it suits your needs. IMO, extended warranties are mostly a scam, but I bet that route, as cost ineffective as it is, will still be less expensive than the S.P. up front price premium, and if purchased through the installer, maybe increase the probability of the installer being a bit more mindful of quality and attention to detail.

Comment

I figure if I'm still here 20 years from now and I have to replace both of my inverters once out of warranty and say five panels, that's probably less than $5000 at today's prices. I can live with $5000 maximum maintenance costs spread over 20 years as that's likely a worst case scenario. Spending upfront for a warranty that will likely outlive it's usefulness doesn't make financial sense to me. If you're really worried about it, put $250/year away for projected future maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by j.p.m. View Post
                              there are a lot of reputable companies that will sell you equipment equally fit for purpose for a lot less than $5.00/watt. It just won't be sunpower. If you have nothing unusual with no electrical panel upgrades, paying much more than $3.50/watt, maybe a bit more for the relatively small system you are considering, is leaving money on the table.
                              JPM - you certainly are active on the boards and have come with some very prudent advice. I can't PM directly yet (<10 posts) but would you be willing to answer a few questions for me? Please PM and thank you in advance!

Comment

Working...
                              X