X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kleach
    • Jul 2015

Best option for New England solar?

I am trying to choose between two options, both come with install and SolarEdge DC Optimizer - 25 year warranty and a SolarEdge Inverter - 12 Year, extendable warranty. Also rails etc.. (UniRac)

1. 35 x SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW - 280 watt, black panels @39,200 (before tax credit)
    2. 38 x Trina 260 Watt - Black on White @ $37,050 (before tax credit)

I know the color difference in the frame color (black vs silver) and the panel types..
    Trina panel is a Multicrystaline panel and the SolarWorld panel is Monocrystaline.

Is there any strong opinion? I think it boils down to the quality of the company and if they will be around in 20+ years? right?

Also, my state of Rhode Island has LOTS of snow and some hurricanes. So I would like a panel that can deal with 3 feet of snow on it..
    Both systems are designed to be just under 10KW because the current state tariff program offers the largest benefit under that size.
    Let me know if I am WAY off on pricing also..

Thanks for the help.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by kleach
    I am trying to choose between two options, both come with install and SolarEdge DC Optimizer - 25 year warranty and a SolarEdge Inverter - 12 Year, extendable warranty. Also rails etc.. (UniRac)

1. 35 x SolarWorld Sunmodule Plus SW - 280 watt, black panels @39,200 (before tax credit)
    2. 38 x Trina 260 Watt - Black on White @ $37,050 (before tax credit)

I know the color difference in the frame color (black vs silver) and the panel types..
    Trina panel is a Multicrystaline panel and the SolarWorld panel is Monocrystaline.

Is there any strong opinion? I think it boils down to the quality of the company and if they will be around in 20+ years? right?

Also, my state of Rhode Island has LOTS of snow and some hurricanes. So I would like a panel that can deal with 3 feet of snow on it..
    Both systems are designed to be just under 10KW because the current state tariff program offers the largest benefit under that size.
    Let me know if I am WAY off on pricing also..

Thanks for the help.
    FWIW, I'd place more importance on vendor quality, reputation, their probability of being around in the future and how efficient the level of communication than the relatively minor ($0.25/Watt) diff. in price. Some think Trina & SolarWorld will be around, some not.

Comment

• organic farmer
      Solar Fanatic
      • Dec 2013

Ask the installer if he has installed both options before, ask to speak with the home owners of those homes.
      4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• peakbagger
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2010

I assume you have looked at the specification sheets and looked if either panel has a higher snow load rating?. If you are concerned with snow load and wind load, its not the difficult to have the installer add an additional rail. Three rails under the panel is going cost a bit more but really beef up the loading.

Comment

Working...