X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • First Round of Quotes in San Diego

    I wanted to share my first round of solar quotes for input. I haven't started negotiating yet. My home is in San Diego and my roof space can only accommodate 14 panels. Roof material is concrete S tile. Company C actually got on the roof, took measurements, and checked for shading. I'm told that shading would be minimal and only occur for a few hours in the morning on 2 or 3 panels. None of the prices posted include an electrical service panel upgrade, which I'm shopping independently of solar.

    Your comments, advice, and questions are greatly appreciated.


    [B]Company A[/B]
    4.27KW
    Panels: 14 x LG305
    Inverter: Solar Edge SE3800
    Total price pre-tax credit: $15,457 [B]($3.62/watt)[/B]
    *** Price Increases to $16,657 [B]($3.90/watt[/B]) with 3 roof vents replaced with low profile vents
    --------------------------------------------
    [B]Company B[/B]
    4.2kW
    Panels: 14 x LG300
    Inverter: APS America YC500A Microinverter
    Total price pre-tax credit: $16,716 [B]($3.98/watt)[/B]
    ------------------------------------------------
    [B]Company C[/B]
    4.27KW
    Panels: 14 x LG305
    Inverter: SunnyBoy SB4000TL-US-22
    Total price pre-tax credit: $18,498 [B]($4.33/watt)[/B]
    ***Includes 3 vents replaced with low profile vents plus two layers of new roofing paper under the solar array.
    -------------------------------------------------
    [B]Company D[/B]
    4.27KW
    Panels: 14 x LG305
    Inverter: SunnyBoy 3800TL-US-22
    Total price pre-tax credit: $18,600 [B]($4.36/watt)[/B]
    -------------------------------------------------
    [B]Company E[/B]
    4.58KW
    Panels: 14 x Sunpower E20/327
    Inverter: SunnyBoy SB5000TL-US-22
    Total price pre-tax credit: $22,890 [B]($5.00/watt)[/B]

    Thanks,
    Jeff

  • #2
    I bet those vent replacements were to reduce shading. Or was some other reason quoted?

    With a string inverter, having shade on even one panel hurts output from the whole string.
    which makes me wonder about company C a bit.

    Vis a vis shading, if you're comfortable getting up on the roof, consider going up to
    look at the shading in person. I learned a lot that way (mostly that I have enough shading
    before 10am and after 4pm that microinverters / solaredge optimizers are probably a good idea).

    I don't know roofs, but I wonder why company C was proposing tarpaper under the array?

    Comment


    • #3
      Why do you think you need a panel upgrade? A 3800 W inverter requires a 20 A breaker. .. fine for a 100 A panel.

      Company A's proposal looks best so far.

      Edit: i see you have another thread discussing your centerfed panel. Bummer. If you stay with 100 A service, that might make the upgrade process less painful, especially if you have an underground feed.
      CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
        I bet those vent replacements were to reduce shading. Or was some other reason quoted?
        Vent replacement was required for space reasons to allow for additional panels.


        Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
        I don't know roofs, but I wonder why company C was proposing tarpaper under the array?
        Company C's standard practice is to essentially give you a nearly new roof under the solar array by removing roof tiles and old tar paper and installing new tar paper and the original tiles. The guy says he's never had an issue with roof leaks. Considering my roof is 20 years old (and all the problems my neighbors have experienced), I think it's a good idea.

        Comment


        • #5
          1.) The annual output/installed Watt will be about the same for all systems, including the S.P.

          2.) Company C may be doing what's a good idea on roof service, but have you/they determined the paper needs replacing ? If so, get everyone to quote it or better yet, get a roofer and your own pricing. Solar vendors will likely sub that out to the lowest bidder they usually work with. Roof service is not the place to scrape the bottom of the barrel on price/quality. Rolling it in with the solar work muddles the pricing and decision making. I'd ask the vendors who quoted roof work to break it out where quoted and also get separate vendors of your choosing to quote/perhaps do the roof work. More PITA, but again - roofs are not to be trifled with, treated as an afterthought or an annoyance.

          3.) More on roofs: Some vendors want to replace the tile under the roof with composition shingles. I can't find anything in the code about not doing that, however, I'd strongly suggest you do not consider or allow it. Code allowed or not, it's a bad idea. It will create the potential for a sump on your roof, and a long term problem generating situation with benefits for only the installer and a boatload of planted problems for the homeowner down the road.

          4.) On roof vents, I believe the S.D. county code requires that vents not be covered by or be w/in 6" of arrays. I'd check that out. Code allowable or not, low profile for shading mitigation is one thing, low profile to avoid moving a vent is not a good idea and problematic for both vent operation and the PV array.

          5.) Have you run PVWatts with system losses ~ 10% to verify estimated long term output ?

          6.) FWIW, co. A seems to offer a decent fit, although $1K + for 3 vents looks a bit steep. All the pricing seems a bit high. The array may be a bit small, but not so small that it would jack the price ~ 10+ %. Maybe the roof tile is spiking the price a bit, although it's concrete not clay.

          7.) All the quotes have the fire setbacks accounted for ? Just checking.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by sensij View Post
            Why do you think you need a panel upgrade? A 3800 W inverter requires a 20 A breaker. .. fine for a 100 A panel.

            Company A's proposal looks best so far.
            Here's the story on needing the new panel. Basically, my panel is center fed and we're unable to determine the panel's maximum rating.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jsquared22 View Post
              Considering my roof is 20 years old (and all the problems my neighbors have experienced), I think it's a good idea.
              Its a [B]REAL GOOD[/B] idea.....

              My installer did the exact same thing.... and it appeared to had been un-needed until they pulled up the last area, and found the original roof installer had "hodge- podged" together that papered area with a bunch of cut off's and random strips.

              It wasent leaking, but it wasen't done right either.


              Have you seen the forecast for the very strong El Nino season thats brewing??

              NO WAY would I install solar on a 20 year old roof, without repapering.

              PLUS, it qualifies as part of the install, so take the fed. tax credit on that too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jsquared22 View Post
                I wanted to share my first round of solar quotes for input. I haven't started negotiating yet. My home is in San Diego and my roof space can only accommodate 14 panels. Roof material is concrete S tile. Company C actually got on the roof, took measurements, and checked for shading. I'm told that shading would be minimal and only occur for a few hours in the morning on 2 or 3 panels. None of the prices posted include an electrical service panel upgrade, which I'm shopping independently of solar.

                Your comments, advice, and questions are greatly appreciated.


                [B]Company A[/B]
                4.27KW
                Panels: 14 x LG305
                Inverter: Solar Edge SE3800
                Total price pre-tax credit: $15,457 [B]($3.62/watt)[/B]
                *** Price Increases to $16,657 [B]($3.90/watt[/B]) with 3 roof vents replaced with low profile vents
                This sounds the best with good brands for both panel and inverter. To make room for more panels, I also replaced 3-4 vents with low profile ones. I had a picture of it in my old thread, link. It's interesting to see the price vary that much between installers.
                16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Company C

                  If I'm not mistaken company C got on the roof and checked the condition then made a recommendation and included it in their bid. It seems fair to either ask them to remove the roofing cost or better yet have your other options include it. I think with the roof company A and C will be within a few hundred dollars or so. 14 panels should be about 250-300 sq feet of roof and you will likely want to redo the entire section of roof from top to bottom where the panels sit. Also one companies familiarity with roof issues may be the swing vote needed to make the right choice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Quote

                    My company Sunpower solar panels are manufactured in the US and hold the world record for the highest efficiency solar panels. The patented Sunpower Maxeon technology absorbs more sunlight and looks incredible on the roof. The built in thick connectors and solid copper backing makes it impervious to corrosion..and that's guaranteed!We WOULD LOVE TO GIVE YOU A QUOTE.

                    This is what I would consider trolling for leads. Not particularly welcome when you come right out and ask.
                    And your very first line is a lie.
                    The company is based in the US but all cells are made in the Philippines and most assembly occurs offshore as well
                    Last edited by Naptown; 06-30-2015, 03:33 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by oliverchuck7@yahoo View Post
                      My company Sunpower solar panels are manufactured in the US and hold the world record for the highest efficiency solar panels. The patented Sunpower Maxeon technology absorbs more sunlight and looks incredible on the roof. The built in thick connectors and solid copper backing makes it impervious to corrosion..and that's guaranteed!We WOULD LOVE TO GIVE YOU A QUOTE.
                      Hello OliverChuck and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

                      The forum welcomes people who are in the solar industry, however you must play by the rules, NO trawling for leads here. No free advertising either, I know some others stretch that point but some long term members have earned that right you sir have not, as yet. Cheers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If you wont install them for $3.50 a watt.... who cares?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by oliverchuck7@yahoo View Post
                          My company Sunpower solar panels are manufactured in the US and hold the world record for the highest efficiency solar panels. The patented Sunpower Maxeon technology absorbs more sunlight and looks incredible on the roof. The built in thick connectors and solid copper backing makes it impervious to corrosion..and that's guaranteed!We WOULD LOVE TO GIVE YOU A QUOTE.
                          For the sake of keeping facts correct and not degeneratin g into peddler hype and twisted truth : That highest efficiency refers to an AREA efficiency, not output efficiency. Kind of like having a small water tank with a high recovery rate that you get to pay 20% more for. Not much use in most situations.

                          Also, while there is some S.P. manufacturing in the U.S. The cells are mostly made in the Philippines and Malasia, with other mfg. facilities in South Africa and other places outside the U.S. The U.S. mfg. component is relatively small.

                          I believe the highest eff. panel is a multi layer affair boasting about 47% eff. - not practical at this time but in any case, it ain't Sunpower.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by jsquared22 View Post
                            Here's the story on needing the new panel. Basically, my panel is center fed and we're unable to determine the panel's maximum rating.
                            IF your POCO allows the use of line side (supply side) taps directly to the incoming service wires before the main breaker, then that would be an alternative to installing a new panel. The NEC allows it, but since it is on their side of the service disconnecting means some POCOs will not allow it.
                            SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by solar pete View Post
                              Hello OliverChuck and welcome to Solar Panel Talk.

                              The forum welcomes people who are in the solar industry, however you must play by the rules, NO trawling for leads here. No free advertising either, I know some others stretch that point but some long term members have earned that right you sir have not, as yet. Cheers.
                              In the experience of our members, Sunpower sells only to dealers/installers, not directly to homeowners. You might find a Sunpower dealer who will sell panels for DIY installation, but I think that would violate their contract with Sunpower.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X