X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reasons to join pvoutput.org?

Why would I want to post my solar production data to pvoutput.org? Does it offer anything over what I can already get from the Solar Edge monitoring portal apart from better visibility to others?

* View consumption and production
    * Pretty graphs
    * Longer detailed history (I think)

Comment

Originally posted by gvl View Post
      Why would I want to post my solar production data to pvoutput.org? Does it offer anything over what I can already get from the Solar Edge monitoring portal apart from better visibility to others?
      While not completely altruistic, it offers an opportunity to share information about your output and perhaps improve and increase knowledge about real world performance of solar PV equipment. In that sense you can help counter some of the common B.S. that peddlers puke out about performance.

It seems as much about giving as receiving. Something of a rarity these days and perhaps a foreign concept to some.

Comment

Thanks. I get it and plan to join.

Comment

If you don't might sharing your personal info, then why not.

Comment

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
            If you don't might sharing your personal info, then why not.
            What personal info? I wouldn't consider publishing what the array generates as personal, and the only identifying info that is shared is a zip code. Some people choose to share net consumption data to help get at a gross consumption value, which is more difficult to track when solar is in the mix.

Some less altruistic reasons you might like PVO:

1) The insolation view. A clear-sky model of your array's orientation and location is used to project what it might produce on a clear day. By toggling to that view, you can quickly get a read on how much sun the array is seeing, and on clear days, if you are consistently having trouble hitting the estimate, it could be an indication that something is wrong.

2) SolarEdge specific - the daily energy generated as reported by PVOuput will be more accurate than the daily energy reported by SE.

3) SolarEdge specific - If you donate to PVO, you get access to a 5 min generation data. SolarEdge normally only gives 15 min data, unless you go into the owner reports and manually run the report.

4) Easy comparisons to other systems. Fins another on ein your rea with similar tilt and azimuth, and both of your systems should track to about the same numbers.
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
              What personal info? I wouldn't consider publishing what the array generates as personal, and the only identifying info that is shared is a zip code. Some people choose to share net consumption data to help get at a gross consumption value, which is more difficult to track when solar is in the mix.

Some less altruistic reasons you might like PVO:

1) The insolation view. A clear-sky model of your array's orientation and location is used to project what it might produce on a clear day. By toggling to that view, you can quickly get a read on how much sun the array is seeing, and on clear days, if you are consistently having trouble hitting the estimate, it could be an indication that something is wrong.

2) SolarEdge specific - the daily energy generated as reported by PVOuput will be more accurate than the daily energy reported by SE.

3) SolarEdge specific - If you donate to PVO, you get access to a 5 min generation data. SolarEdge normally only gives 15 min data, unless you go into the owner reports and manually run the report.

4) Easy comparisons to other systems. Fins another on ein your rea with similar tilt and azimuth, and both of your systems should track to about the same numbers.
              I meant the consumption part. Perhaps a no one home sign at front door.

Comment

I don't think it'd be easy for someone to tell from mine...
                My biggest consumer is the pool pump which will still run.
                The next biggest I think is the AC - which would still run (although possibly reduced)
                After that is the fridge and freezer I think - and those would definitely still run.
                There wouldn't be the TV and such - but those are probably lost in the noise.

Comment

But isnt the data coming from SolarEdge shouldn't they show you the same amount that is generated.

Comment

Originally posted by foo1bar View Post
                    * View consumption and production
                    * Pretty graphs
                    * Longer detailed history (I think)
                    * idle output alarms.
                    * Net calculations.
                    * Teams
                    * Extended Data Inputs, perhaps for major appliance monitoring, weather, water, gas, etc... giving you the ability to see the "whole picture" on one graph.

* Pretty good mobile apps available
                    * well documented set of API's
                    [I][url]http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=27957[/url][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by thashef View Post
                      But isnt the data coming from SolarEdge shouldn't they show you the same amount that is generated.
                      SolarEdge inverters appear to have two internal data sources, one of which is calibrated about 3% higher than the other. The daily energy reported by the inverter uses the higher number, the live power reported uses the lower number. PVOutput's uploader is using the live power, and averages created from it. As a result, on a clear day, the energy generated for the day reported by PVOutput will be about 3% less than the energy reported by the SE portal.

By a couple methods (revenue grade meter, gross consumption calculated from generation and net consumption), it is clear that the power value is the more accurate of the two.

Comment

SolarEdge inverters appear to have two internal data sources, one of which is calibrated about 3% higher than the other. The daily energy reported by the inverter uses the higher number, the live power reported uses the lower number. PVOutput's uploader is using the live power, and averages created from it. As a result, on a clear day, the energy generated for the day reported by PVOutput will be about 3% less than the energy reported by the SE portal.

By a couple methods (revenue grade meter, gross consumption calculated from generation and net consumption), it is clear that the power value is the more accurate of the two.
                        Any opinions on why the daily # seems to be higher ?

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
                          Any opinions on why the daily # seems to be higher ?
                          I wouldn't even call it an opinion... just wild speculation that they want their numbers to look higher to support a "solaredge is better" narrative. Whatever the reason, PVOutput offers an easy way to check how any system is performing relative to its local peers, and although very few systems have revenue grade reporting, the comparisons usually still have some value.

One lesson I've learned this month... it is incredible how different the sun exposure can be in locations only 10 mi apart. The marine layer effect is somewhat predictable, but there are a lot of other ways in which the cloud cover varied this month that were interesting to watch.

Comment

I wouldn't even call it an opinion... just wild speculation that they want their numbers to look higher to support a "solaredge is better" narrative. Whatever the reason, PVOutput offers an easy way to check how any system is performing relative to its local peers, and although very few systems have revenue grade reporting, the comparisons usually still have some value.

One lesson I've learned this month... it is incredible how different the sun exposure can be in locations only 10 mi apart. The marine layer effect is somewhat predictable, but there are a lot of other ways in which the cloud cover varied this month that were interesting to watch.
                            Understood. I kind of suspect most monitors/reporting devices from mfg.'s are optimistic to buttress/confirm/exceed already low estimates. Makes for happier customers even if it is a bit disingenuous. Until I find out otherwise, I'll follow the money and act accordingly.

Also understood on cloud layer/variability. I'm about 20 miles inland and about 1,500' el. w/ a real good view. It's fun to watch the marine layer as it rolls out in uneven ways in the A.M. and back in after dinner, depending on season/conditions. I'm usually clear by about 0800 solar time, except May/June when it's cloudy til 10, then sun.

Comment

Very good observation. It very well could be a tell tale sign of not being around and invite the bad guys in. PVOutput allows you to block consumption views. I was warned about it, and continue to advise all that join Team San Diego to block consumption views for this exact reason. There's also a feature called "trusted users" that allows the system owner to permit other PVOutput members to see their consumption and net readings and extended data. Its completely up to the system owner to allow who they want to see what.

Its an awesome platform, and very well put together. The owner/developer is quite responsive, and is always adding new capabilities.
                              [I][url]http://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=27957[/url][/I]

Comment

Working...
                              X