X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 71SoCal
    • May 2015

SDG&E Renewable Meter Adapter (RMA)

I called SDG&E the other day to ask more about the Renewable Meter Adapter device. Recall that it's a supply-side tap that allows for a PV input.

It turns out that they have yet to install a single one of these devices...period. It's a pilot program that was supposed to begin installing devices as of Feb 2015. The rep told me that they've got over 200 orders backlogged, and now they're hoping to begin installs in Aug 2015. The rep wanted me to know that there is no certainty with the Aug 2015 date. So that's a bummer. Not sure what to do now. I'm considering adding the device to my single line electrical sheet just to get my permit approved. I could then move forward, installing the system and just hope for the best. If the RMA program doesn't get off the ground, my fall-back plan would be to upgrade my service panel.

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Electrician should still be able to do a line side tap without that device.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• inetdog
        Super Moderator
        • May 2012

Originally posted by ButchDeal
        Electrician should still be able to do a line side tap without that device.
        Should be, in terms of knowledge and skills, but POCO has control of the line side of the service disconnect and can refuse to permit line side taps even when they conform to the NEC.
        A good number of cities and POCOs do not allow line side taps in general, and this POCO would have the power to require that their meter adapter be used.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• etlipman
          • Jan 2016

71SoCal - what did you end up doing? I am going to put in some effort to permitting some projects with this product as well connectder.com
          Probably impossible in SDG&E territory since they already offer their RMA product, I doubt I'll get any SDG&E connected jurisdiction to approve the ConnectDER for use. But it was developed with DOE money, so maybe the local gov will give it a shot.

Comment

Working...