Cheapest racking for sloped, shingled roof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheapest racking for sloped, shingled roof

What are the cheapest ($/W or $/panel) racking solutions out there? I have configured a system with SnapNRack for an 8x3 array of Canadian Solar panels. The racking cost is comes out to $.23/W.

Gamechange Racking has a solution for "standing seam" roofing for <$.05/W (no rails) and <$.10/W (with rails). http://www.gamechangeracking.com/#!standing-seam/c1yj

However, my roof has asphalt shingles. Here's the SnapNRack parts list.

Code:
    Part no.   Description                                                 Count  Unit cost  Cost
    015-09826  SNAPNRACK, STANDARD RAIL SET, 162IN, BLACK, 6 PC            2      $474.00    $948.00
    242-04013  SNAPNRACK ASSEMBLY RAIL SPLICE, STANDARD, BLACK             6      $6.36      $38.16
    242-02128  SNAPNRACK ASSEMBLY, MID CLAMP, 1.31 - 1.77IN, CLEAR         42     $1.35      $56.70
    242-02215  SNAPNRACK ASSEMBLY, UNIVERSAL END CLAMP WAVE, REV 2         12     $3.88      $46.56
    232-01023  SNAPNRACK RAIL END CAP, STANDARD, BLACK                     12     $1.73      $20.76
    242-92050  SNAPNRACK KIT, L FOOT W-BASE, COMPOSITION FLASHING, CLEAR   42     $9.26      $388.92
    051-03415  LAY-IN LUG TIN/COPPER UL OUTDOOR - C00497289 - CL5          36     $3.50      $126.00
    242-92090  SNAPNRACK, MICRO INVERTER ATTACHMENT KIT                    24     $2.00      $48.00

Quite often the "cheapest" is the most expensive as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

To narrow your search down, start with systems that have "integrated grounding" like IronRidge. Better, faster, cheaper then the old lay-in lug method. Check with your building dept to see if they require the mounting system to be a "manufactured" system. (lot of building departments want someone else to be liable if anything goes wrong) The manufactured systems all charge a hefty price for the engineering they put into their fancy "easy to assemble" systems.
      If they will allow you to DIY a system, use standard 2x2x1/8" structural aluminum angle available from any aluminum supplier along with IronRidge's grounding clamps and save yourself about half the cost. On shingle roofs, we even make our own L-feet from 3x3x3/16" angle and have a much sturdier mount than the little wobbly ones they sell. Oh - and don't use regular lag screws - they are generally made from crap steel. The big-box stores in your area should have some kind of engineered building screw like SPAX or Simpson that are much better.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by 100percentRE View Post
        What are the cheapest ($/W or $/panel) racking solutions out there?
        IMO you pay for a good mounting system now, or pay for dealing with leaks in your roof later.
        So while I understand you don't want to over-spend, you do need to make sure you're not going to regret it 2 or 10 years later.

Now of the good racking systems available, what's the cheapest?
        I don't know.
        I looked at Ironridge XR10 and Mounting Systems Alpha+, and went with ironridge.
        They were very close in price.

I did spend more on the quickmount PV E-mounts, rather than some of the other options.
        IMO they look to be well designed and are therefore worth the money as they're the thing protecting your roof/house from water getting in.
        I bought them from renvu - that was the least expensive place I found for them. There are other suppliers and prices change, so I'd encourage you to shop around.

If I was doing > 4' spans, XR100 would have been about the same price, or maybe cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
          To narrow your search down, start with systems that have "integrated grounding" like IronRidge. Better, faster, cheaper then the old lay-in lug method. Check with your building dept to see if they require the mounting system to be a "manufactured" system. (lot of building departments want someone else to be liable if anything goes wrong) The manufactured systems all charge a hefty price for the engineering they put into their fancy "easy to assemble" systems.
          If they will allow you to DIY a system, use standard 2x2x1/8" structural aluminum angle available from any aluminum supplier along with IronRidge's grounding clamps and save yourself about half the cost. On shingle roofs, we even make our own L-feet from 3x3x3/16" angle and have a much sturdier mount than the little wobbly ones they sell. Oh - and don't use regular lag screws - they are generally made from crap steel. The big-box stores in your area should have some kind of engineered building screw like SPAX or Simpson that are much better.
          I think I want to do this DIY system. Any chance you could provide any more detail or a photo of how to lay this out? I'm a solar novice and don't understand. Has OP or anyone else done this? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ees1618 View Post

I think I want to do this DIY system. Any chance you could provide any more detail or a photo of how to lay this out? I'm a solar novice and don't understand. Has OP or anyone else done this? Thanks!
            If you're serious about IronRidge, check out their website or contact them. Just be sure to check how you'll attach all your cosmetically compromised panels as discussed in prior posts/threads.
            Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X