X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oilerlord
    • Mar 2015

SunPower Positive Grounding with Micro Inverters

Hello everyone,

I'm again looking at inverter options to use with my used SPR-225-U panels. I bought them cheap, but the positive grounding is limiting my inverter choices. I can use Sunny Boy's string inverters - as long as they are the transformer -12 versions. I'm also planning arrays that face SE and SW - so the single MPPT of the SB3000-US-12 necessitates the expense of an additional inverter for the other arrays. So, I'm again exploring the use of micro inverters.

I bought 42 panels and would like to install all of them if possible. I'd like to install the arrays as follows:

SW garage roof - 16 panels
    SW wall - 9 panels
    SW Top of house - 9 panels
    SE front of house - 9 panels

The installer that I'm discussing the project with is suggesting:

1 x SB3800-12 inverter
    2 x SB3000-12 inverters

Has anyone used ABB/Power One micro inverters with these 72-cell, 48 volt, positive ground panels? I'll contact ABB, but I'm wondering if anyone else has used micro inverters or optimizers (like Tigo Energy) with these panels. Enphase isn't an option because I need something able to handle up to 55 volts in extreme cold temperatures. Thank you for your time.
    oilerlord's 9.23kW Plant
  • oilerlord
    • Mar 2015

Just a quick update...in the (unlikely) event anyone else is considering ABB micros with older SunPower positively grounded modules, I received a reply from ABB. Their micro inverters are positively grounded by design and are 100 percent compatible with SunPower SPR-225's. That's good news for me.
    oilerlord's 9.23kW Plant

Comment

• Joseph.Unden
      • Feb 2022

What inverter/s did you end up going with? I have pos. ground panels and my inverter is on the brink. I need some ideas for an inverter or micro inverters.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...