X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

SolarEdge + Zigbee

The more experienced installers here may already know this, but for those who don't...

When using the Zigbee wireless communication with a SolarEdge inverter, the initial pairing needs to be done with the gateway in close proximity to the inverter. Like, super close. I had mine plugged in about 15 ft and one wall away from the inverter, and it wouldn't pair. I needed to plug it into a laptop and bring it outside next to the inverter before they would see each other. A SolarEdge tech was very helpful, and he also said that when the gateway is plugged into the computer via USB, its antenna should be removed, since the laptop may not provide enough power for it to function properly.

Once paired, the Zigbee signal is much stronger and the gateway can be located anywhere within the advertised Zigbee range.

Anyway, my inverter location may work with a hardwired ethernet connection better than I had originally thought, so I might have a Zigbee gateway + slave card for sale, if anyone needs one.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx
  • Amy@altE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Thanks Sensij, I just passed that along to our techs here.
    Solar Queen
    altE Store

Comment

• ericf1
      • Oct 2014

My pairing was done just as it sits now, gateway plugged into my router approximately 40' from the inverter/slave and through 2 walls.

It has lost comms twice. First time I had to reset the inverter, second time it re-connected the next morning. No production data was lost.
      24xLG300N+SE7600 [url]http://tiny.cc/n7ucvx[/url]

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

Interesting. It might be because I already had the Rainforest Eagle running on Zigbee, or because it is right next to the Wifi. In any case, the tech knew exactly what I should do when I told him it wouldn't pair, so it must be a common problem.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• ericf1
          • Oct 2014

My installer mentioned that Zigbee Gateway/Slave issues are pretty common. Eventually, I will run a cat5/6 to the inverter.

It would have been nice if the Solaredge Gateway could also link to my PoCo meter.

Comment

• thejq
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2014

It's probably the interference from your other devices. Mine paired from two opposite corners of a 2 story house. It has been very reliable ever since. At the same distance, my WiFi receiver (for the EV charger) and router is right at the border. I had to angle the WiFi external antenna exactly to make it reliable. So I know Zigbee has better reach than WiFi.
            16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by thejq
              It's probably the interference from your other devices. Mine paired from two opposite corners of a 2 story house. It has been very reliable ever since. At the same distance, my WiFi receiver (for the EV charger) and router is right at the border. I had to angle the WiFi external antenna exactly to make it reliable. So I know Zigbee has better reach than WiFi.
              Other sources of interference are door and window sensors used in a wireless home security system as well as wireless security cameras. You need to know which channel those items are set to and make sure they are different then the one used for the Zigbee data signal.

Comment

• Bikerscum
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2014

Mine paired fine from across the garage, down a hall & through 2 walls.

Good to know tho if I ever have a problem.
                6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• awhite
                  • Jan 2015

I have the zigbee, it refused to pair for some reason, so plan B was to use a tplink wi-fi range extender that also has a ethernet port. Much easier. It plugs into an extension cord near the inverter. I tried a power over ethernet adapter but it was still kinda wonky so went with the wi-fi range extender with an ethernet port.

Comment

• lkstaack
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

I don't suppose Zigbee uploads energy consumption data to PVWatts? Do I need another monitoring system like TED for PVWatts to track energy use along with PV production?
                    LG280/SE6000/[url]http://tinyurl.com/pav2bn8[/url]

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by lkstaack
                      I don't suppose Zigbee uploads energy consumption data to PVWatts? Do I need another monitoring system like TED for PVWatts to track energy use along with PV production?
                      PVWatts is an estimating tool for PV systems, not a performance or usage monitor. It uses historic irradiance (and NOT average values, BTW) to estimate long term possible system output, mostly for preliminary design purposes.

Comment

• insaneoctane
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • May 2012

My money is that he was referring to pvoutput.org, I know I have made that mistake before.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by insaneoctane
                          My money is that he was referring to pvoutput.org, I know I have made that mistake before.
                          Get the nails out & hang me up. You can use the same wrist holes as before. Saves time drilling the pilot holes.

Comment

• ericf1
                            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by lkstaack
                            I assume you mean PVOutput? The Solaredge Zigbee Gateway only sends production data to the Solaredge Monitoring Portal. PVOutput can access and display that data. It would be nice if the SE Gateway could access my SDG&E smart meter (which is also Zigbee enabled) to provide this capability. Probably just needs a firmware update to do this, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Comment

• lkstaack
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by insaneoctane
                              Yes, you are right.

Originally posted by ericf1
                              I assume you mean PVOutput? The Solaredge Zigbee Gateway only sends production data to the Solaredge Monitoring Portal. PVOutput can access and display that data. It would be nice if the SE Gateway could access my SDG&E smart meter (which is also Zigbee enabled) to provide this capability. Probably just needs a firmware update to do this, but I doubt it will ever happen.
                              Thanks, that's what I wanted to know. Would you happen to know of an inexpensive power consumption gateway?
                              LG280/SE6000/[url]http://tinyurl.com/pav2bn8[/url]

Comment

Working...