X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• huge
    replied
    I had a similar decision to make. I'm happy I went with solaredge and a backup generator so I can power everything that I need whenever I need it, but I would probably have gone with SMA if I didn't have shade.

Edit: Actually, I miscalculated. In the summer, I would get 8 hours of at least 2kw production, so it might not be a bad feature to have in the summer.
    Last edited by huge; 07-10-2016, 07:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ButchDeal
    commented on 's reply
    This has been discussed to death here. Your comments are a bit misleading on both accounts. The solarEdge comes by default with 12 year warranty for example ( it is upgradable to 20 or 25 years for small fee). The SPS only provides power when manually switched into SPS mode ( disabling other functions), and only if sufficient solar power available. SolarEdge can be upgraded to bimodal as well...

• glitchsys
    replied
    I know I'm late to the party but I'm putting this here for future googlers researching SMA vs Solar Edge. Here's something I LOVE about the TL-US series from SMA. They offer the Secure Power Supply (SPS) option. Essentially it's an outlet wired directly to the panel and the TL-US can provide 1500W of power to that single outlet even during a grid outage. I always hated the idea of losing power if I had solar and the local power company had a power outage. You would then need an off-grid system, something that had batteries and added a higher level of complexity and maintenance to your setup. However just using this SMA TL-US inverter, you can have 1500W of power during a power outage. Enough to charge your cell phone/laptop/UPS's or maybe run a small window A.C unit or provide power to your fridge.

If you (the original poster) had the option of two 5000TL-US units, you'd get two 1500W outlets. With the SE unit you wouldn't have this option and if your utility company has a power outage during the day, you'd be down and out.

However I do like the advanced per-panel monitoring capabilities of the SE, I think you'd need those power optimizers though. I like that you can mix and match panels and I like the 12yr warranty on the SolarEdge (25yr warranty on their Power Optimizers, which enhance the overall system) vs the 10yr warranty on the SMA. Wow, tough choice. I assume you've already made it though considering the age of this thread.

I do know SMA is very very popular and has many good reviews across many websites.
    Last edited by glitchsys; 07-07-2016, 08:35 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sensij
    replied
    Originally posted by nova
    Can you elaborate on that?
    2014 NEC requirement. Fortunately, CA is still 2011 NEC, but it is coming...

Leave a comment:

• nova
    replied
    Originally posted by inetdog
    If the SMA inverter is mounted more than ten feet from the edge of the array you will need to factor in the significant cost of a DC combiner panel that includes Rapid Shutdown technology. .
    Can you elaborate on that?

Leave a comment:

• M.solar
    replied
    Originally posted by lkstaack
    I was faced with a simular choice. SMA is among the most reliable inverters anywhere.

SE provides the potential for increased output at the risk of multiple points of failure. It also provides the capability of mixing PV panels if you can't find an identical replacement.

I chose SE for the reasons above. I am able to get maximum output during periods of early morning shade, get full output from each panel, and I can monitor each panel. I'll have to wait and see how reliable it is.
    Thanks, I'm leaning towards SE for the same reasons.

Leave a comment:

• lkstaack
    replied
    Originally posted by M.solar
    Does solaredge provide a worthwhile difference with partial shading over using a SMA inverter? I'm between two companies right now and one uses solaredge and the other will not due to solaredge not being in the business as long as SMA. Pricing is similar.
    I was faced with a simular choice. SMA is among the most reliable inverters anywhere.

SE provides the potential for increased output at the risk of multiple points of failure. It also provides the capability of mixing PV panels if you can't find an identical replacement.

I chose SE for the reasons above. I am able to get maximum output during periods of early morning shade, get full output from each panel, and I can monitor each panel. I'll have to wait and see how reliable it is.

Leave a comment:

• M.solar
    replied
    Does solaredge provide a worthwhile difference with partial shading over using a SMA inverter? I'm between two companies right now and one uses solaredge and the other will not due to solaredge not being in the business as long as SMA. Pricing is similar.

Leave a comment:

• ericf1
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadh
    If solar edge would come out with emergency power on their inverter I'd be sold right now.
    I imagine the emergency outlet has got to be on SE's list of features to incorporate. It seems they already have the ability to dynamically adjust the PV power production at the panel level to match a load, so there is zero feed-in to the utility. I think this could be adapted to provide "emergency power" that would only be limited by what power is available from the array. Another possible application is off-grid arrays with battery systems, to limit array output when the battery bank is fully charged.

Leave a comment:

• nomadh
    replied
    Originally posted by solar pete
    Hi All,

I for one would be going with 2 x SB5000 you get two power outlets in the event of a black out, and I believe SMA lengthy business history is precisely why they should be considered. Solar Edge might be ok but no one can tell you of an example of one that has been working for 15 + years, I can with SMA.
    I think I agree here with having the 2 sma's. having 2 1500 watt emergency outlets sounds great.
    If you have no shading issues Id go sunnyboy but it looks like you might have a more complex system with some shade issues.
    I know I do. Currently I'm stuck in between these 2 currently myself. If solar edge would come out with emergency power on their inverter I'd be sold right now. Do you care about the offline power of the sunnyboy?
    If not then solar edge seems killer tech. Solar edge has power opt modules available in euorope that can be applied to a sunnyboy SMA system but we can't get them here.

Leave a comment:

• s_man
    replied
    it does have a certain attraction to it.
    I have not heard from anyone who has actually been in a situation to use it, but it seems well engineered for its purpose.
    You do have to figure in the cost of the additional wiring to install the receptacle and switch and cords to get power from there to wherever you need it.
    I would not try connecting it to my regular house wiring with a transfer switch since it just does not have the load capacity to be particular useful that way.
    I see, not that easy money then . One more question for the contractors. Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by s_man
    Thanks for your input! I kinda like the SMA secured power outlet in case of disaster.
    it does have a certain attraction to it.
    I have not heard from anyone who has actually been in a situation to use it, but it seems well engineered for its purpose.
    You do have to figure in the cost of the additional wiring to install the receptacle and switch and cords to get power from there to wherever you need it.
    I would not try connecting it to my regular house wiring with a transfer switch since it just does not have the load capacity to be particularly useful that way.
    Last edited by inetdog; 04-10-2015, 07:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

• s_man
    replied
    The most convincing argument applies only to people in areas that have already adopted the 2014 NEC and so have to satisfy the Rapid Shutdown requirement on the DC side.
    If the SMA inverter is mounted more than ten feet from the edge of the array you will need to factor in the significant cost of a DC combiner panel that includes Rapid Shutdown technology. Such as the Midnite Solar Birdhouse at over $500.
    Thanks for your input! I kinda like the SMA secured power outlet in case of disaster.

Leave a comment:

• inetdog
    replied
    Originally posted by s_man
    I am debating between the SMA and the SolarEdge too. Seem SMA has advantage of the Secure Power Outlet and long term track record. SolarEdge has advantage of individual panel monitoring vs whole system monitoring, and may be a bit more efficient (but more chances of failure with the optimizers?). Do I miss anything more convincing?
    The most convincing argument applies only to people in areas that have already adopted the 2014 NEC and so have to satisfy the Rapid Shutdown requirement on the DC side.
    If the SMA inverter is mounted more than ten feet from the edge of the array you will need to factor in the significant cost of a DC combiner panel that includes Rapid Shutdown technology. Such as the Midnite Solar Birdhouse at over $500.

Leave a comment:

• s_man
    replied
    Originally posted by HX_Guy
    What does she like about that company vs the one offering SolarEdge? I can help do some convincing maybe.
    I am debating between the SMA and the SolarEdge too. Seem SMA has advantage of the Secure Power Outlet and long term track record. SolarEdge has advantage of individual panel monitoring vs whole system monitoring, and may be a bit more efficient (but more chances of failure with the optimizers?). Do I miss anything more convincing?

Leave a comment:

Working...