X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding to existing system, price???

I had a 7.83kW system installed in July 2014 at $3.99/w all in. Because I was so happy with the system, I had the company recently come back out and bid again for a 2.2 kW upgrade They came back at a price of $5.35/w installed. Needless to say I was shocked. I do understand that it is a smaller system, but I was expecting somewhere near my first system's price. I explained my thoughts on why it could be lower, but their reply was that with permitting, design, labor... they need to charge that for the smaller systems. I am unsure how to proceed. I like the company, they did a first class install, and I would like to upgrade our system, but that is a tough pill to swallow. Any thoughts on having a decent case for a lower install price?

Thanks, Brad in WA

Sadly, with a small system, there is less leeway to dilute the "hard" costs (permits, engineering, travel times) so your $/watt goes down.
    That's why it is so hard to expand a system
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Then is it safe to say go bigger than you if you think you might increase usage down the line - like if you ate planning on vertebrae anelectric vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by appleman View Post
        I would like to upgrade our system
        The problem is what you see as an "upgrade" is really a whole new system. There's not much from the first system that they can re-use; and a smaller system is going to have higher per-watt costs.

That said....you may want to shop this around to a few other installers. This is a very dynamic market, and you may be able to get a better price.
        16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

If you plan to reuse or share some of the existing equipment eg. inverter, wiring or conduit etc., you probably don't have much choice but use the original installer otherwise warranty could be a problem. If you're suspicious of the price, just ask for a break down and see if it makes sense.
          16xLG300N1C+SE6000[url]http://tiny.cc/ojmxyx[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by thejq View Post
            If you plan to reuse or share some of the existing equipment eg. inverter, wiring or conduit etc., you probably don't have much choice but use the original installer otherwise warranty could be a problem. If you're suspicious of the price, just ask for a break down and see if it makes sense.
            You are unlikely to be able to "reuse" anything from the original install. In fact it may even make the interconnect more complicated not less. You are far better off to install as much as possible initially rather than upgrade latter.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
              You are far better off to install as much as possible initially rather than upgrade latter.
              Or if you think you may ever want to add panels, plan ahead and oversize some items from the start.

That's the route I took...bigger inverter than probably needed and since it's SolarEdge, I can very easily add panels and just plug them into the string without needing to redo any wiring, changing the inverter or the backfeed breaker.

Comment

Originally posted by HX_Guy View Post
                Or if you think you may ever want to add panels, plan ahead and oversize some items from the start.

That's the route I took...bigger inverter than probably needed and since it's SolarEdge, I can very easily add panels and just plug them into the string without needing to redo any wiring, changing the inverter or the backfeed breaker.
                your case were special. I'll not recommend anyone follow your steps. Most of people prefer simple solar installation withour unnecessary dramas.

for most of solar owners, we do have warranty from our installer. Any modification to existing system void the warranty.

OP,

You are adding a 2.2kW system, that is like shopping for a brand new system. It cost me $2,017 to add 2 more panels (490W) to my existing system without any modification.

Comment

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
                  It cost me $2,017 to add 2 more panels (490W) to my existing system without any modification.
                  How...in...the...world...

That's crazy expensive...but I guess once you start thinking about it, it was probably ~$1000 in material and the installer isn't going to work for free sooo...

I gotta say I'm glad I learned the things I did. I may actually be adding another 6 panels to my system (1830W) and I estimate a total cost of around $2,500.

Comment

That's crazy expensive...but I guess once you start thinking about it, it was probably ~$1000 in material and the installer isn't going to work for free sooo...

I gotta say I'm glad I learned the things I did. I may actually be adding another 6 panels to my system (1830W) and I estimate a total cost of around $2,500.
                    I guess every states are different. Here in Socal with SCE, you can only go up less than 10% of your existing solar size or max up to 1kW without re-applying net metering.

I know the money isn't worth spent with only 2 panels addition, but I have no choice because of the bad system design by installer. SMA TL6000US-12 indeed a great inverter but 2012 design. the min voltage required is 345v. With my array setup, when temp reach 39C, the voltage will drop below 345V cause performace drop. not to mention about degration of panels from time to time. adding 1 panel to each array is a MUST.

Comment

Two reasons that cost is so low. One you will do the work yourself and two you did pretty much all the work on your original installation. Most people may meet one but not both of those reasons.

I would also check with your POCO or Permitting department before adding that 1830watts just to make sure you are not exceeding any restriction or expansion limits.

Comment

Yes, I do understand the fact that it is basically a brand new separate system. My 2 inverters are maxed out. Rather than hang a third one, I asked about removing and replacing with a larger one to handle the existing load and the added panels, that's what was quoted. I could add a smaller third, and maybe that option would be less costly.

While the cost seems high, I do not think they are out of line. I did not think I would be in this boat wanting to add to the system, so here is my advice: I you ever think you might want to upgrade in the future, plan for it during your system design. While the initial cost may be a touch higher, it will be significantly less than redesigning in the future.

Brad

Comment

Originally posted by appleman View Post
                          Yes, I do understand the fact that it is basically a brand new separate system. My 2 inverters are maxed out. Rather than hang a third one, I asked about removing and replacing with a larger one to handle the existing load and the added panels, that's what was quoted. I could add a smaller third, and maybe that option would be less costly.

While the cost seems high, I do not think they are out of line. I did not think I would be in this boat wanting to add to the system, so here is my advice: I you ever think you might want to upgrade in the future, plan for it during your system design. While the initial cost may be a touch higher, it will be significantly less than redesigning in the future.

Brad
                          If you might want to upgrade in the future, do it NOW. Even if you do the planing on feature upgrade, your original installer will still take a hit on you regardless. It is business.

Comment

Working...
                          X