X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Venice
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by gvl
    I got another quote from the same installer for a similar 34xLG300=10.2kW DC system.
    I live in West LA with limited roof space so I'm also considering the LG300. Got a quote for SP of $5.5 Kw so I'm looking for alternatives. Can you pm me installer contact?

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Venice
      I live in West LA with limited roof space so I'm also considering the LG300. Got a quote for SP of $5.5 Kw so I'm looking for alternatives. Can you pm me installer contact?
      Sounds about $2.00/Watt higher than other decent stuff.

Comment

• gvl
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2015

I'm up and running! Less than 6 weeks from contract signing. The inverter isn't set up for monitoring yet. Today is cloudy but in direct sunlight I'm reading 10200W real time AC output and it correlates with the utility meter display. Not too bad for a 9kW DC array, is this even real? Looks like one optimizer is glitching, the correct number of optimizers 30 was briefly displayed but now down to 29, something for my installer to look into.

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

My 3.1 kW array was getting clipped by my 3 kW inverter for a solid 10 min straight just a little bit ago; direct sun in a cloudy sky can definitely lead to irradiance higher than the STC conditions which are used to determine the headline DC rating. Don't expect to see that on a clear day though... maximum AC output closer to 8000 W is likely to be more typical.

Another forum member recently had a glitching optimizer too, and although the communication with it was not functional, it was still contributing to the overall system power.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by sensij
            My 3.1 kW array was getting clipped by my 3 kW inverter for a solid 10 min straight just a little bit ago; direct sun in a cloudy sky can definitely lead to irradiance higher than the STC conditions which are used to determine the headline DC rating. Don't expect to see that on a clear day though... maximum AC output closer to 8000 W is likely to be more typical.

Another forum member recently had a glitching optimizer too, and although the communication with it was not functional, it was still contributing to the overall system power.
            FYI, & FWIW High instantaneous Global horiz. at my location was 1227 W/m^2, for a few min. about 1115 hrs., P.D.T. and past 1150 W/m^2 several times so far today.

Comment

• gvl
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2015

Originally posted by sensij

Thanks, this makes sense. Today is a relatively cool day as well, higher temps will surely help to keep the output down.

Did they have to get up on the roof with a voltmeter to confirm the glitchy optimizer was putting power out?

Comment

• gvl
                Solar Fanatic
                • Mar 2015

The optimizer came back, probably best to wait until the monitoring system is in place before making any conclusions.

Comment

• gvl
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2015

The glitchy optimizer has been mostly out all this time. Pretty much clear sky today and direct hit, 70F ambient, I'm seeing 7600-7700W output, I was expecting more like 8000W. Looks like the optimizer is shot?

Upd: just saw 7900W, so maybe not...

Comment

• gvl
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2015

Interesting, the sun is not reaching the panels for about 30mins already but there is still about 300 watt AC being generated, probably reflection from the atmosphere.

Comment

• gvl
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2015

Finally have monitoring up and running. The glitchy optimizer is definitely out of it is mind even when it comes online, it is the end of day and all panels trickle in at 7-8W each, the bad optimizer is happily reporting 33W real time and 4kWh generation for today, and it was offline during main production hours. My installer will be here next week to troubleshoot.

Comment

• SunOaks
                        • Jul 2015

Originally posted by gvl
                        I used a local solar company, they are not big but are in this business for 3+ years, very responsive, I signed the contract a week ago and the panels are done today. I can PM you more details if you're interested. Negative on the variable speed pool pump, based on my estimates 9kW should be barely enough to 0-out my current bill on TOU/net-metering, the old pump is staying for now as a ballast that I can through out should my production drop over time or usage increase. Yes, I know this is not the smartest approach, but it works for me.

EDIT: PM sent
                        Hi gvl. I'm brand new on this forum and just getting started with the quotation process -- trying to vet the numerous outfits in the San Fernando Valley. Do you mind sharing your installer's info? Also, are you happy with the quality of the work that was performed?

Comment

• solardesire
                          • Jul 2015

[QUOTE=gvl;149720]Well, the panels were installed today. Final inspection and PTO pending. Ended up going with 9kW total at $3.17/watt. LG300s with a SE 10k inverter, P400 optimizers. It took 1 day for 7 people. I'm not a big fan of 1 day projects like this but I think it went reasonably well, but only time will tell of course.

I live in San Fernando Valley and have a EV, which drive at least 70 miles a day. Seriously thinking go solar, but all quotes we have so far is not anywhere competitive to yours. Can you PM me the installer info? Are you satisfied with their work?

thanks,
                          Solardesire

Comment

• gvl
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by solardesire

I live in San Fernando Valley and have a EV, which drive at least 70 miles a day. Seriously thinking go solar, but all quotes we have so far is not anywhere competitive to yours. Can you PM me the installer info? Are you satisfied with their work?

thanks,
                            Solardesire
                            PM sent, yes, I'm satisfied - no issues so far.

Comment

• bwhite505
                              • Jul 2015

gvl,

Would you please PM the installer info. I cannot PM yet. If they come to Bakersfield I would definitely like to see what they offer. Nothing in that price range locally.

Comment

• gvl
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by bwhite505
                                gvl,

Would you please PM the installer info. I cannot PM yet. If they come to Bakersfield I would definitely like to see what they offer. Nothing in that price range locally.
                                PM sent. I spoke with one of the guys who worked on the install and he mentioned they do remote projects and Bakersfield came up as an example. Not sure if such a project would cost more as the crew is paid by the hour, sounds like it might.

Comment

Working...