X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExtremeAcres
    • May 2010

I need 35W of constant power... how would YOU do it ?

HI guy7s ...noob here... Look ...I know I cant come in here and have someone give me the majic formula to learn solar...

I know I need to spend lots of time perusing and reading posts on this forum ... I'm a do it yourselfer ...and have been very successful with many cool projects. I know I have to do my homework.

I've been fascinated with the idea of solar power for many years.... and now I have a true project that gives me a reason to dive in .

I only found this site last nite...so I havent really read any substantial stuff yet ... and I know next to nothing ... but If Im gonna do a ton of reading to get a grasp on this subject...I might as well at least be targeting the direction of specifically what I need.

I need to set up an off the grid system ...to power a 35W pond pump ...24 hours a day...

what should I start reading about ... PV cells ?... inverter or converters ? ... batteries ? generally what amounts of each of these will I need ? so where should I start reading ...what would be GOOD keywords for me to gosearch at this site ? ("off the grid systems "...or more specific like "pond pumps" or DIY Builds ? )

also the reason I ask for help in the right direction ...is Im still on dial up ...so navigating ANY website is extra slow for me ...so any shortcuts help me dramatically.... doing research on dial up is SO frikkin "last century"...

thanks for any ideas as to the best place for me to start...
  • Sunking
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2010

Real easy and straight forward.

Recommended Design Practice of Off Grid Solar PV Systems

The design process is a fairly simple and straight forward that doesn
    MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Actually, if you have grid power, it's really hard to beat it for cost efficency. 10 cents KW for grind, about 70cents for solar.. So follow the scheme that sunking laid out, and you will know better, what the expense is. I can't improve on his verbage.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...