X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • labear
    • Aug 2016

Thank you for your reply foo1bar,
    The conduit run I was referring to would be inside of framing, not on roof.
    As for roof, I was hoping the only conduit I would need would be between roofs (3~4 foot max)... and for this I would for sure use metal.
    I agree w/ your suggestion to use electrician though I'm having troubles finding one in my area (small town ~1200 folks) which has any Solar Experience, or wishes to provide that sort of service.
    As for inpectors; I am doing my own Electrical on my new home and as such I do expect to be discussing many issues w/ county inspectors before beginning that aspect and of course the Solar project.
    thank you

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

With SolarEdge you can do up to 25 panels per string (if that is not too much power). Should be able to do it in just 2 strings and not need a combiner at all.
      Also be aware that these are "transformerless" inverters and both the DC conductors are non-grounded so a combiner would have to have switching on both the plus and minus conductors.....
      Last edited by solarix; 09-10-2016, 10:58 AM.
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• emartin00
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by solarix
        With SolarEdge you can do up to 25 panels per string (if that is not too much power). Should be able to do it in just 2 strings.
        Also be aware that these are "transformerless" inverters and both the DC conductors are non-grounded so a combiner would have to have switching on both the plus and minus conductors.....
        Yup. Wiley has a dual fuse version of the ACE box for them. ACE-3C-DF comes with all 6 fuses preinstalled.

Comment

• labear
          • Aug 2016

Thank u all for your added input.
          Re combiner boxes for Solar Edge: I assume the last reply (emartin00) is aware that Solar Edge uses panel optimizers?
          Does this change anything?
          And could'nt other fused combiner boxes like Midnight Solar or Solar Power Combiners (model LCSC-PW) work just the same. They even have MC4 connectors?

Thanks guys

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by labear
            Thank u all for your added input.
            Re combiner boxes for Solar Edge: I assume the last reply (emartin00) is aware that Solar Edge uses panel optimizers?
            Does this change anything?
            And could'nt other fused combiner boxes like Midnight Solar or Solar Power Combiners (model LCSC-PW) work just the same. They even have MC4 connectors?

Thanks guys
            You don't need a combiner or fuses for solarEdge
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• labear
              • Aug 2016

Hi ButchDeal,
              So assuming the SE optimizer(s) are linked/connected by cable-sets which are provided by Wholesale Solar (which they say are part of there package Im getting) then all I'd need is a place, such as a junction box on-at, or near the electrical roof jack to connect the 2 strings to my 10 awg cable-sets (which are also provided in the package I'm purchasing) which connect to the SE inverter?

So no fuses needed at all for SE connections from Panels w/ SE optimizers to the SE inverter?

thanks

Comment

• ButchDeal
                ButchDeal commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes just a junction box to transition each string.
            • labear
              • Aug 2016

Thank you ButchDeal - can you recommend a Pass-through box which I can use a "junction box" on roof (attached to my electrical roof jack), and which has MC4 connectors?

Comment

• loobosh
                • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal

The solaredge inverter does not have two PORTS. It has to connections on an input bus. Two strings do not need a combiner with Solaredge, infact three strings doesn't require a combiner with solaredge. They have white papers on this but other than the SE10000 and SE11400 ( which have 3 inputs) the inverters only have two wire connections. So if you are not using the larger inverters, you would need a way to combine at least two strings.
                Hi can I combine 2 strings at the roof and number 6 awg 2 wires to the inverter. Inverter 7600 hd has 2 inputs are they independent or can I run 10,000 watts to 1 terminal. Or do I have to run 4 wires down to inverter.
                Last edited by loobosh; 01-09-2019, 01:46 PM.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Originally posted by loobosh

Hi can I combine 2 strings at the roof and number 6 awg 2 wires to the inverter. Inverter 7600 hd has 2 inputs are they independent or can I run 10,000 watts to 1 terminal. Or do I have to run 4 wires down to inverter.
                  you can combine on the roof if you want. The terminals in the SE7600 are directly attached to each other.
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• loobosh
                    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by ButchDeal

you can combine on the roof if you want. The terminals in the SE7600 are directly attached to each other.
                    Ok thanks could not find it in the manuals.

Comment

Working...