X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • venvis2001
    • Mar 2013

Getting my panels delivered tomorrow

All,
    I am getting all my panels tomorrow. Racking/other stuff already in my garage. I plan to start my install in a week or so! Will post some pictures as I proceed.

Comment

• w00dy
      • Jul 2015

Looking forward to seeing your install - as I have thought about attempting DIY if I can't get pricing where I feel it makes "cents"

Comment

• venvis2001
        • Mar 2013

Started my install this weekend

I have started the installation of my solar this week. So far, finished up the hooks on the tile roof & laid the rails. Will post some pictures shortly.

Earlier I thought i will run the conduit thru' my attic. When I went inside the attic, I realized I don't have good access to take the conduit out from attic to my outside wall (too many ducts on the way & very difficult access to reach the end of the house wall). So, I plan to run the emt conduit on top of the roof.
        The good news is that I don't have to put a hole thru' my roof for conduit penetration. but I have to support the EMT conduit on top of the roof (say about 4 inches above the roof).
        Does anyone have recommendation on how to support EMT conduits on the concrete tile roof?
        I will look thru' the forum for any old threads & pictures as well.

Thanks,

Comment

• Naptown
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2011

Use the same rack hooks you used for the panels. Should work
          NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• Amy@altE
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2014

EcoFasten makes tile roof conduit hooks. http://www.ecofastensolar.com/store/...6#.VgW023-COrU
            Solar Queen
            altE Store

Comment

• inetdog
              Super Moderator
              • May 2012

A height of 4" should be your minimum if you have options.
              The NEC requires derating the ampacity of conductors inside a roof conduit by a lot more than just the ambient temperature would require. If you are close to the normal ambient capacity of your conductors and do not want to have to go up a size or two, the correction gets smaller the higher you get off the roof.
              Your local inspector may or may not notice, but it is best to comply in advance to avoid problems.
              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• venvis2001
                • Mar 2013

Installed the tile hook first couple of weeks ago

TileHook1.jpgHere are some of the pictures of my installs.

Comment

• venvis2001
                  • Mar 2013

More images from my install

TileHook2.jpg

Comment

• venvis2001
                    • Mar 2013

Some more images from my install so far.

RailsOnRoof_mv.JPG
                    GettingReadyJbox1.jpg
                    ConduitRun1.jpg
                    Branch1MicroInverters1.jpg
                    ConduitsNearRails1.jpg
                    InstallingRails1.jpg
                    InstallingRails1.jpg
                    InstallingRails1.jpg

Comment

• venvis2001
                      • Mar 2013

My install so far & a question

All,
                      I have now completed installing the rails, microinverters, cables, conduits & have run the wires. Connected the Jboxes near the rails.
                      Thanks for your suggestions on Jboxes (I used a bigger one so that I can easily connect wires & will be easier in future if I have to open it again!). I also used conduit clamps (about 2 to 3 inches height only, screwed them to the tile roof, I have to drill, use concrete adhesive & use screw to hold strong). I saw the same type of install in my neighbor's roof (done by the solar company) & hence I just followed the same style!

Now, I have these wires running down to my service panel.

My question is on the sequence now:
                      1) Should I connect the 4 wires (L1, L2, Neutral & Ground) to the breaker (new breaker put in the service panel) first & then start installing the panels, hook them up to the micro-invertor? If I do this, as I install panel & connect to Micro invertor, it will start generating/sending power. I will turn the breaker off when I do this so that power generated does not go to the Grid.
                      OR
                      I should first install panel, connect them to micro inverter. In this case, when I come to connect the L1, L2, N & G to breaker in the service panel, it will be live (unless I work after sunset).
                      Which one is the recommended sequence?
                      I want to know the sequence before I call a licensed electrician to connect my L1, L2, N & G to the breaker in service panel. I also have another question: Wondering if I can do this connection myself because the city did not say it has to be done by electrician?
                      I plan on installing the panels this weekend & request for City & PG&E inspections soon after.

Appreciate your pointers. Thanks,

Comment

• sensij
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by venvis2001
                        My question is on the sequence now:
                        1) Should I connect the 4 wires (L1, L2, Neutral & Ground) to the breaker (new breaker put in the service panel) first & then start installing the panels, hook them up to the micro-invertor? If I do this, as I install panel & connect to Micro invertor, it will start generating/sending power. I will turn the breaker off when I do this so that power generated does not go to the Grid.
                        OR
                        I should first install panel, connect them to micro inverter. In this case, when I come to connect the L1, L2, N & G to breaker in the service panel, it will be live (unless I work after sunset).
                        Which one is the recommended sequence?
                        The microinverter output will not be "live" if the grid is not connected. This is a required feature of all grid-tied inverters in the US. The microinverter input (coming from the panels) will be live, but probably less than 48 Vdc. As long as the breaker is off, either sequence you suggested looks OK. I think connecting all of the panels first and then making the final connection to the breaker in the main service panel is a bit more mistake proof.

Of course, always assume the conductors are live when you are actually working with them...

As an aside, and please don't take this the wrong way... it amazes me that someone performing a self-install doesn't know this already.
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• venvis2001
                          • Mar 2013

Started putting up panels on the roof this weekend

sensij,
                          my bad that I forgot the basics - that grid-tied inverters don't supply power to grid when it does not detect the grid connection. I remember reading about it... thanks for your answers. I am starting to put up the panels on the roof this weekend. I finished setting up the conduits/final fittings into the service panels (only connection remaining is breaker & connecting L1, L2, Ground & neutral wires).
                          It was pain to drill a hole for the 3/4 inch conduit body entry into the stucco wall, I used a good concrete hole saw & it did the work (took about 5 minutes on & off drilling). I opened a small square hole inside my garage (opposite just above the service panel) so that I have better access to the wires/conduit fitting coming in).
                          I hope to finish all the installations by Sunday this week & schedule the inspections (city first & then PG&E)..
                          Excited about the whole project...Will post more pictures.

thx,

Comment

• venvis2001
                            • Mar 2013

My system up & running now..

Hi all,
                            I completed the installs about a week ago & got the City Inspection & PG&E completed. Now its up & running since Oct 16th. So far system is performing as expected, generating about 20Kw per day if it is fully sunny. Peak power is about 3.1kw (since I have two arrays with different orientation, I don't expect the peak to match what is on my design).
                            I was surprised that the city inspector went up the roof to look at my panels, j-boxes & grounding.. Good news is that I have done things OK & he was happy with the way I had installed.
                            Thanks everyone for the pointers & guidance!

Will post some pictures soon.

Comment

• sdold
                              • Jun 2014

Originally posted by venvis2001
                              ...up & running since Oct 16th. So far system is performing as expected
                              Sounds great! Yeah, post some pictures if you can, and congratulations, I bet it's a pretty good feeling.

Comment

• Deep_blue
                                • Oct 2015

Congrats. Cash in the pocket.

Comment

Working...