X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HX_Guy
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Faulty AC Disconnect? You guys ever seen that happen?

Trying to trace why the inverter and meter are not getting power and it seems the problem is the AC Disconnect, though I can't for the life figure how this would go bad.

The top wires are coming from the main panel and I get a reading of 241v on the top two terminals. With the disconnect in the ON position, the bottom either reads 0V or fluctuates all over the places from 0...10...43...7. Seems all the disconnect should do is snap the bars into place when it's turned to the ON position, and the bars do snap in and visually look like they are making good contact.

Anyone ever run into this before?

• Amy@altE
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2014

Have you tried taking the power off and measuring across the switch with an ohm meter to see if it is making the connection?
    Solar Queen
    altE Store

Comment

• HX_Guy
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Amy@altE
      Have you tried taking the power off and measuring across the switch with an ohm meter to see if it is making the connection?
      I'll give that a try, thanks.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by HX_Guy
        I'll give that a try, thanks.
        Make sure the wires from both you solar inverter and the main panel are not energized when you take your resistance reading.

Comment

• control4userguy
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

That test may or may not be appropriate. I see two connections already that could be faulty. Are the conductors torqued properly at the lugs? Are the blades making contact and not through oxidation. That disconnect is not of higher-quality...

Comment

• sensij
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by control4userguy
            That test may or may not be appropriate. I see two connections already that could be faulty. Are the conductors torqued properly at the lugs? Are the blades making contact and not through oxidation. That disconnect is not of higher-quality...
            This disconnect is what was called out on the permit drawing, and while not industrial quality, it ought to be fine for this. The appearance in the posted picture matches the appearance in the catalog.

I agree that the connections do not look very good, and the grease on the blade is also worth questioning. Did it come already on the disconnect, or was it added by your installer?
            CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• HX_Guy
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2014

Thank you guys for the OHM test suggestion...IT'S ALIVE!!

I wasn't getting any continuity across the left side with the disconnect on. Took a close look at the top clamp was too spread apart, took a screwdriver and bent it a little and boom, continuity restored! Everything is up and running and making POWER!

Comment

• HX_Guy
                Solar Fanatic
                • Apr 2014

Originally posted by sensij
                This disconnect is what was called out on the permit drawing, and while not industrial quality, it ought to be fine for this. The appearance in the posted picture matches the appearance in the catalog.

I agree that the connections do not look very good, and the grease on the blade is also worth questioning. Did it come already on the disconnect, or was it added by your installer?
                The disconnect came with that grease.

Comment

• control4userguy
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2014

Originally posted by HX_Guy
                  Thank you guys for the OHM test suggestion...IT'S ALIVE!!

I wasn't getting any continuity across the left side with the disconnect on. Took a close look at the top clamp was too spread apart, took a screwdriver and bent it a little and boom, continuity restored! Everything is up and running and making POWER!
                  I see what you mean now that you mentioned it. Nice job troubleshooting.

Comment

• inetdog
                    Super Moderator
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by control4userguy
                    I see what you mean now that you mentioned it. Nice job troubleshooting.
                    By clamp are you talking about a wire termination or the contacts that mate with the blades of the knife switch disconnect?
                    If the switch contacts got spread apart, I would at least look carefully to make sure that when I bent them back the flat or curved contact surfaces are aligned just like the others and that the spring tension holding the contacts against the blades is close to that of the other line connection.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by inetdog
                      By clamp are you talking about a wire termination or the contacts that mate with the blades of the knife switch disconnect?
                      If the switch contacts got spread apart, I would at least look carefully to make sure that when I bent them back the flat or curved contact surfaces are aligned just like the others and that the spring tension holding the contacts against the blades is close to that of the other line connection.
                      Good idea. Chances are there is now more resistance on that left set of contacts.

If it was my installation I would just replace the switch with a new one. I would hate to see that whole system go up in smoke.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
                        Correct, the contact that made with the blades. The upper left contact was spread too far apart and the blade wasn't making good contact when it was switched on.

So just visually check it to make sure it looks the same as the others?

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Those spring blades that make the contacts, are deadly. The metal is good for 1 bend only, bend it again and it's on it's way to crack or fail. Get it on line as is, but order a replacement. When the contact is bad, it heats up and starts to oxidize and get hotter - but your PV will disconnect first and stop a fire, but it's not doing yourself any favors keeping it around.
                          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• HX_Guy
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
                            Those spring blades that make the contacts, are deadly. The metal is good for 1 bend only, bend it again and it's on it's way to crack or fail. Get it on line as is, but order a replacement. When the contact is bad, it heats up and starts to oxidize and get hotter - but your PV will disconnect first and stop a fire, but it's not doing yourself any favors keeping it around.
                            I figure it should have some sort of warranty? I'll get a hold of the manufacturer.

Comment

• Mb190e
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • May 2014

Originally posted by Mike90250
                              How does the AC disconnect "disconnect" if there's an issue without any fuses? Here's a picture of my AC disconnect.

Comment

Working...