X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by HX_Guy
    Yeah except that's not accurate. The Inverter only has a built in DC disconnect switch, no AC...even though the permit shows it. SolarEdge changed their systems somewhat recently, they used to have both AC and DC built in and the data sheets you find on Google still seems to show that.
    You are correct. I did some more looking and based on your pictures you only have the DC switch. Too bad. That DC/AC switch could be locked out and should have met the condition of having a AC disconnect at the inverter.

Comment

• HX_Guy
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Inspector just pulled up...here we go!

Comment

• HX_Guy
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

Failed again.

The installer put 3/4" conduit on the roof between the arrays when the fixed it...and the permit shows 1". They modified the permit to 3/4" only on the side of the house, not on the roof...that part still shows 1". So it failed.

Called the installer, he didn't answer.

Comment

• alienwulf
          • Jan 2014

Some how I thought the installer was going to be there before the inspector? He never even showed? He has been a total failure.

Comment

• HX_Guy
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by alienwulf
            Some how I thought the installer was going to be there before the inspector? He never even showed? He has been a total failure.
            No, he didn't have to be here for the inspection. Neither did I really.

Items are obviously very easy and quick to fix, will probably tackle them myself.

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

No, he didn't have to be here for the inspection. Neither did I really.

Items are obviously very easy and quick to fix, will probably tackle them myself.
              Too bad you already painted that conduit on the roof. Do you have a good pipe bender?

Comment

• Living Large
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2014

Failed again.

The installer put 3/4" conduit on the roof between the arrays when the fixed it...and the permit shows 1". They modified the permit to 3/4" only on the side of the house, not on the roof...that part still shows 1". So it failed.

Called the installer, he didn't answer.
                "Corrections inc."? Does this allow for bringing up additional ones next time? Will this cost less next time around, and be simpler, since no changes to the permit are needed?

At least you will know your system is installed correctly, eventually.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Apr 2014

Well they can always bring up more corrections if needed, but going by this inspection, they only check for items that they noted as needed corrected the previous time.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Well they can always bring up more corrections if needed, but going by this inspection, they only check for items that they noted as needed corrected the previous time.
                    Seems pretty inefficient. Why would the inspectors keep coming out to check only a portion of the project each time. Sounds like they are getting paid per trip or inspection.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                      Seems pretty inefficient. Why would the inspectors keep coming out to check only a portion of the project each time. Sounds like they are getting paid per trip or inspection.
                      Hmm, I think you may have misunderstood...or I wasn't very clear.

The corrections noted today were because of incorrect corrections to the corrections noted last time. That "Corrections inc." means "Corrections incorrect."

So the first time it failed, the inspector noted:

Wiring between arrays need to be in conduit.
                      Bond bushing required inside disconnect box.

Both of those were fixed, but incorrectly. The other 6 items were fixed and are ok and aside from these two remaining issues, the rest are good to go.

Comment

• SunEagle
                        Super Moderator
                        • Oct 2012

That's makes sense. It is more of a "punch list" of items that still need to be fixed.

Although some of the original items were technically "fixed" after the permit was modified. Like item #4 where she wanted the wires sizes to be changed to #2 & #4 AWG to meet the original permit drawings but now can stay as the #6 which was originally installed.

Comment

• Living Large
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Got it. Corrections Incorrect - I didn't read it that way.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

Fixed everything. Was up on the roof almost 5 hours again today. It's done. I'm done. It better freaking pass.

Started out by pulling out all the wires out of the 3/4" conduit. Had to cut off the connectors since I couldn't pull the wire out of the crimps.

I guess I can add conduit bending to my skill list. It's kind of tricky getting it just right, but not too bad.

Fed the wires through, put on new connectors and secured the new 1" conduit to the rails. Didn't paint it yet, figured it would be easier for the inspector to visually see it was changed out from ground level.

This was the other section the inspector said needed conduit, freaking wires going everywhere. (Don't mind the patched up tile, it'll do until I can get a replacement).

Rerouted the ground cable and ran everything through new conduit. Looks 10x better.

Then I went a little conduit crazy since I had some left over. There were a couple other spots that the inspector didn't notice, but I figured what the hell let me get those too.

Before:

After:

And two final spots.

Finally finished up by redoing the ground bushing connection inside the DC disconnect box, it was another item the inspector marked for correction today.

Before it had a #10 copper jumper and the inspector said the green ground needed to pass through there. I think that's really nitpicking, I don't see the different from a performance standpoint but whatever.

Before:

After:

That's it. Inspection is set for tomorrow. I'm praying the same lady comes back and can just look at the two items she noted and pass this damn thing.

Comment

• bcroe
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Jan 2012

Welcome to conduit bending, happens a lot here. Looks great, hope the inspector
                              thinks so. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Alisobob
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2014

WTF does the conduit size have to do with anything.... as long as the correct sized conductors can fit inside??

3/4" vs. 1"

...plhueeeze.

Comment

Working...