X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by HX_Guy
    Wow classy man, way to kill ck someone when they are down. You feel better about yourself now? Smh.
    Without kicking someone when they're down - we've all been there - This situation seems to have a lot of the hallmarks of what can happen if a lot of stuff goes south at the same time.

Trying to turn this into something positive and instructive for the future, and for others reading this forum, general comments can be useful if put forth in the spirit of constructive criticism.

FWIW, some thoughts meant in a constructive nature for all:

Sometimes, the joy of getting a "deal", or hammering the vendor for a price is quickly forgotten if the system is troublesome. Sometimes an extra $.20/Watt or so up front is worth it, but not without a lot of useful information gathering, homework, thought and tough, but good faith and honest negotiating.

A system with perceived or obvious problems up front will not spontaneously correct itself. Sometimes errors/flaws compound one another with the result being bigger than the sum of the problems.

Due diligence and communication perhaps up to the point of sitting on the roof and watching the work being done is no guarantee of a good job, but won't hurt either. I know - it's a PITA and that's why you paid extra for a good vendor - to avoid the hassles. Reality, like it or not, often requires more attention and involvement. Get and stay involved. Keep communication open, frequent and clear. Take and keep the initiative on that aspect and all aspects of the project.

Caveat Emptor.

In this situation, I'd try to work it out with the vendor. Before that, and as others have suggested, get the building dept. involved. I'd also begin thinking about retaining legal counsel. Check out Alisobob's link and comments from others on this thread.

Correcting deficiencies takes time, effort and money. This situation may be a good example of why it's better to spend a bit more time and effort up front and increase the odds of saving a lot of all 3 down the road.

Sermonette is over for the day.

Comment

• Alisobob
      Banned
      • Sep 2014

I've reccomended my vendor to a few people. I never say they will be the cheapest... I describe them as providing a good value..... with excellent workmanship.

There is a huge difference.

Dont fall in love with the idea of chasing the lowest price...

Comment

• Ian S
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        Without kicking someone when they're down - we've all been there - This situation seems to have a lot of the hallmarks of what can happen if a lot of stuff goes south at the same time.

Trying to turn this into something positive and instructive for the future, and for others reading this forum, general comments can be useful if put forth in the spirit of constructive criticism.

FWIW, some thoughts meant in a constructive nature for all:

Sometimes, the joy of getting a "deal", or hammering the vendor for a price is quickly forgotten if the system is troublesome. Sometimes an extra $.20/Watt or so up front is worth it, but not without a lot of useful information gathering, homework, thought and tough, but good faith and honest negotiating.

A system with perceived or obvious problems up front will not spontaneously correct itself. Sometimes errors/flaws compound one another with the result being bigger than the sum of the problems.

Due diligence and communication perhaps up to the point of sitting on the roof and watching the work being done is no guarantee of a good job, but won't hurt either. I know - it's a PITA and that's why you paid extra for a good vendor - to avoid the hassles. Reality, like it or not, often requires more attention and involvement. Get and stay involved. Keep communication open, frequent and clear. Take and keep the initiative on that aspect and all aspects of the project.

Caveat Emptor.

In this situation, I'd try to work it out with the vendor. Before that, and as others have suggested, get the building dept. involved. I'd also begin thinking about retaining legal counsel. Check out Alisobob's link and comments from others on this thread.

Correcting deficiencies takes time, effort and money. This situation may be a good example of why it's better to spend a bit more time and effort up front and increase the odds of saving a lot of all 3 down the road.

Sermonette is over for the day.
        Based on how the roof attachments have been made and the contractor's protestations that everything will be fine, I'm skeptical that it could be worked out with that contractor. I do agree that talking to the building inspector and providing him with documented deficiencies is critical. The problem I see is who is going to want to come in and finish the job? Yikes!

Comment

• sdold
          • Jun 2014

Wow classy man, way to kill ck someone when they are down. You feel better about yourself now? Smh.
          At least feel good about yourself for catching this now and doing something about it. What bothers me most about this thread is knowing there are "contractors" out there who take advantage of people that don't know what to look for and end up with much bigger problems down the road.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Now you act surprised and upset - you were warned but you knew best - live with it.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Alisobob
              Banned
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by russ
              Now you act surprised and upset - you were warned but you knew best - live with it.
              prediction.JPG

Friggin' Nostradamus.......

Comment

• Ian S
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by russ
                Gee, Russ, good thing you weren't the prodigal son's father!

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Alisobob
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]5335[/ATTACH]

Friggin' Nostradamus.......
                  russ isn't god like he is just clairvoyant.

Comment

• Amy@altE
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2014

The roof might be salvageable by going back and installing QuickMount flashing, http://www.quickmountpv.com/products...ile-mount.html . That is IF he is actually attaching the lags to something solid under the roof, which based on your description is doubtful. I would not allow this "installer" back on your roof.
                    Solar Queen
                    altE Store

Comment

• HX_Guy
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Amy@altE
                      The roof might be salvageable by going back and installing QuickMount flashing, http://www.quickmountpv.com/products...ile-mount.html . That is IF he is actually attaching the lags to something solid under the roof, which based on your description is doubtful. I would not allow this "installer" back on your roof.
                      The biggest problem with the roof is that the mounting points are wrong. It's the wrong layout, not what we wanted or agreed on or was on the permit.
                      They mounted the panels way too high and left no fire setback, which is a local code requirement. So those racks need to be taken down and redone, meaning there will be holes left over that need to be addressed.

Comment

• Amy@altE
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2014

Good point, I forgot about the fire setback. A smell a lawyer in the near future.
                        Solar Queen
                        altE Store

Comment

• Bikerscum
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jul 2014

I have to agree that beating the guy up is in poor form.

To the OP... keep us posted as to how this all develops. A great learning opportunity here for everyone.

Good luck.
                          6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• Alisobob
                            Banned
                            • Sep 2014

So those racks need to be taken down and redone, meaning there will be holes left over that need to be addressed.
                            7 (2).jpg

Those dont look hard to deal with for a proper roofer... then swap out the tile.. done.

I'm curious what the substrate under the tiles is??

I have similar tiles, but they lay on plain ol' tar paper.

Comment

• HX_Guy
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Apr 2014

I think its tar paper as well, does it look like it could be something else?

Comment

• Alisobob
                                Banned
                                • Sep 2014

My underlayment of "TarPaper" looks like thick , black ,paper. What you have looks like it has some kind of aggregate in it, like a composite shingle.

Any roofers out there to chime in?

Comment

Working...