X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • araghava
    • Sep 2014

Orientation to optimize for EV-A plan in San Francisco Bay area

Hi,

I'm going to have panels installed next week. I have an electric car and am on the EV-A plan. Peak rates are from 2:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Has anyone tried to optimize for this by orientating their panels somewhat west of south. If so could you share your orientation and tilt angles.

Thanks.

Ananth
  • Bikerscum
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by araghava
    Hi,

I'm going to have panels installed next week. I have an electric car and am on the EV-A plan. Peak rates are from 2:00 pm to 9:00 pm. Has anyone tried to optimize for this by orientating their panels somewhat west of south. If so could you share your orientation and tilt angles.

Thanks.

Ananth
    If you're having panels installed next week, isn't your permit/design already set?
    6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• subdriver97
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Hi,

Thanks.

Ananth
      You haven't provided much information so folks are going to have a difficult time helping you.

If this is a roof mount:
      - what is the orientation of your roofing surfaces?
      - can all the panels fit on a single orientation? if not, come many can face which direction?

Or is this a ground mount?

Comment

• control4userguy
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2014

Yeah, well, regardless of where you are with permitting, just plug in your needed azimuth and tilt into PVWatts until you feel like you need to make a change. For me, it didn't matter on tilt as I watch annual production and not daily. As far as compass orientation, well, that might be limited by your roof. You didn't say what kind of install you are planning though. My westies carry-on production a little longer in the day than my neighbor's all-south system but so what? My consumption overrides production that time of late afternoon by a factor of three or more.

Comment

• control4userguy
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2014

I don't know diddly about EV-A but why would you want to be charging during that peak period anyway?

Comment

• araghava
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by subdriver97
            You haven't provided much information so folks are going to have a difficult time helping you.

If this is a roof mount:
            - what is the orientation of your roofing surfaces?
            - can all the panels fit on a single orientation? if not, come many can face which direction?

Or is this a ground mount?
            1. I'll be getting the permit this week.
            2. Roof mount. House faces west. Roof has no obstacles in either south or west directions.
            3. The original design was to have the panels in 2 rows facing directly south. However i'm thinking at having them maybe facing south west might maximize my output during peak hours. (2 -> 9pm)

Comment

• araghava
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by control4userguy
              I don't know diddly about EV-A but why would you want to be charging during that peak period anyway?
              I want to maximize output during peak hours. I charge at night during off peak.
              The idea is to generate maximum electricity during peak hours since in summer i get paid 40c/kwh during those times.

Comment

• control4userguy
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

^I see.

Comment

• control4userguy
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2014

2. Roof mount. House faces west. Roof has no obstacles in either south or west directions.
                  3. The original design was to have the panels in 2 rows facing directly south. However i'm thinking at having them maybe facing south west might maximize my output during peak hours. (2 -> 9pm)
                  Run the numbers and get that answer. That's what I did.

Comment

• araghava
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by control4userguy
                    Run the numbers and get that answer. That's what I did.
                    Running the numbers in PVWATT doesn't really answer the question. When i plug in 225 degree (SW) i get slight lower overall production. However what i need to know is how much more i'll produce during the peak hours.

Comment

• Bikerscum
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2014

I want to maximize output during peak hours. I charge at night during off peak.
                      The idea is to generate maximum electricity during peak hours since in summer i get paid 40c/kwh during those times.
                      Here is some real time info in the SF Bay area...

Go to here... public page of my online motitoring

Choose the layout tab up top. At the top left click the arrowhead that says show playback. Choose the weekly option just above that. Drag the red cursor slowly across 11/27.... that day had little or no cloud cover from about noon on.

The four horizontal panels at the bottom are 2 each east & west, the rest are all facing south. You can see in 15 minute increments the output from west vs south. Use only the top row of south panels for comparison, the others may get some shading late from dormers on the roof.

My guess is you'll find little if any advantage to west facing panels.

Have fun.
                      6k LG 300, 16S, 2E, 2W, Solaredge P400s and SE5000

Comment

• araghava
                        • Sep 2014

PVWATTs allow you to download monthly and hourly estimates for production. This can be used to compare different orientations.

Comment

• subdriver97
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

What is the azimuth (compass direction) of the south and west facing directions of your roof?

Comment

• subdriver97
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Nov 2014

Running the numbers in PVWATT doesn't really answer the question. When i plug in 225 degree (SW) i get slight lower overall production. However what i need to know is how much more i'll produce during the peak hours.
                            I don't understand how you will get an orientation of 225/SW if your home is facing west. Is there a roofing surface that faces 225? You're options for a roof mount are essentially limited to the directions in which your roofing surfaces face. If you provide your street address it would probably resolve a lot of confusion. (Then folks can get a look at your roof on google maps.)

Comment

• subdriver97
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Nov 2014

PVWATTs allow you to download monthly and hourly estimates for production. This can be used to compare different orientations.
                              So did you figure it out? I'm curious to know what you used for input and what you got for results.

Comment

Working...