X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gvl
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2015

They both can't be right at the same time of course. The right way to do it is to calculate all loads to make a determination if you can live comfortably with a reduced breaker.

Also while unlikely your city may not allow putting solar on such panels, something you can check into.

Comment

• lkstaack
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LLN
      Same here, I have received a three quotes so far, one said my electrical panel was fine (we had a major remodel and upgraded to a 200A panel 6 months ago, but it's a center fed panel), the second company said we needed a RMA (Renewable meter adapter) from SDG&E that cost $1400. The third company said that we needed a brand new electrical panel for $2000.
      I googled center fed main panels and why people use them, and received a bunch of hits explaining that PV installers hate them. I kind-of, sort-of understand why you can't go above 100% with PV on them, but why do people install center fed panels in the first place?
      LG280/SE6000/[url]http://tinyurl.com/pav2bn8[/url]

Comment

• gvl
        Solar Fanatic
        • Mar 2015

Originally posted by lkstaack
        I googled center fed main panels and why people use them, and received a bunch of hits explaining that PV installers hate them. I kind-of, sort-of understand why you can't go above 100% with PV on them, but why do people install center fed panels in the first place?
        Because they don't think about solar at that time? Other than limitations for solar there is nothing wrong with them.

Comment

• lkstaack
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by gvl
          Because they don't think about solar at that time? Other than limitations for solar there is nothing wrong with them.
          There must be some advantage to center fed over top fed, right?

Comment

• gvl
            Solar Fanatic
            • Mar 2015

Probably price.

Comment

• solarsoon
              • May 2015

company you used....

Hi subdriver. We are beginning to get bids from solar installers and I would really appreciate a pm with the company you went with. All of the information you provided is extremely helpful. Thank you very much!

Comment

• bcroe
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2012

Center Feed Advantage?

I would expect, they figure with each side half as long and carrying half the load, the bus
                bars might use a lot less metal while still handling the current and maintaining a certain
                maximum voltage drop. Our belt-and-suspenders solar guidelines allow no such assumptions;
                but rather that the whole capacity of the main breaker could be drawn (or driven) from one side.
                Bruce Roe

Comment

• jsquared22
                  • May 2014

subdriver97, Thank you for sharing your solar information. I found it very helpful. Would you please PM me your contractor's information?

Thanks!

Comment

• Chuck92673
                    • May 2015

Hey Subdriver !

I enjoyed vicariously experiencing your thoughts and the detailed documentation of your experience,
                    your selection / thought process, in line pricing and install - esp photos ! Great job !

I am in San Clemente CA. If you are still monitoring, I am collecting a few vendor names to contact shortly to obtain an onsite
                    evaluation and quote for a 5-6 DC kW system - am also leaning toward Solar Edge / Optimizers + LG. My roof has partial shade
                    due to a 160 degrees southern orientation, and am expecting SE inverters / optimizers may be a good choice....

Plus not unexpectedly, I think it likely I will need an upgrade to a 200 amp panel while I'm at it !

Would appreiate a PM with your installer info.

Thanks !

Chuck

Comment

• subdriver97
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Nov 2014

One additional item of feedback on my vendor. If you're read through the thread you'll know that my vendor insisted on a panel upgrade. Also there was a modification to the panel layout design. Since the installation I noticed that one of my neighbors didn't do a panel upgrade even though I can count the panels and see that he has the approx same size system... it's possible that he went with a smaller inverter or micro-inverters, but that means he has no room for system expansion.. Another neighbor has his roof packed with panels from edge to edge of the roofline which I know is definitely not per code. What I'm trying to say, is that it's possible to get systems that don't strictly follow code... it's really what you can get the inspector to sign off on... I like that my vendor didn't do this even though there's proof that others have, they did it right.

Comment

• inetdog
                        Super Moderator
                        • May 2012

Originally posted by subdriver97
                        One additional item of feedback on my vendor. If you're read through the thread you'll know that my vendor insisted on a panel upgrade. Also there was a modification to the panel layout design. Since the installation I noticed that one of my neighbors didn't do a panel upgrade even though I can count the panels and see that he has the approx same size system... it's possible that he went with a smaller inverter or micro-inverters, but that means he has no room for system expansion.. Another neighbor has his roof packed with panels from edge to edge of the roofline which I know is definitely not per code. What I'm trying to say, is that it's possible to get systems that don't strictly follow code... it's really what you can get the inspector to sign off on... I like that my vendor didn't do this even though there's proof that others have, they did it right.
                        It is possible in some areas to get a variance from the roof access rules (especially if the panels are on only one side of the roof peak of a common attic space.) Some installers may be more comfortable with the process involved than others (or may have "connections".

As for the panel upgrade, there are ways of getting the largest possible backfeed current for an existing panel (in particular showing that the 200A panel contains a 225A bus or the 100A panel contains a 125A bus.) Or many areas and POCOs will allow the PV to be connected upstream of the main breaker. Again, some installers are more comfortable with this kind of installation and more willing to do it instead of a panel upgrade.

In short, you may be seeing violations, or you may not. It is hard to tell from a distance.
                        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• subdriver97
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2014

Originally posted by inetdog
                          It is possible in some areas to get a variance from the roof access rules (especially if the panels are on only one side of the roof peak of a common attic space.) Some installers may be more comfortable with the process involved than others (or may have "connections".

As for the panel upgrade, there are ways of getting the largest possible backfeed current for an existing panel (in particular showing that the 200A panel contains a 225A bus or the 100A panel contains a 125A bus.) Or many areas and POCOs will allow the PV to be connected upstream of the main breaker. Again, some installers are more comfortable with this kind of installation and more willing to do it instead of a panel upgrade.

In short, you may be seeing violations, or you may not. It is hard to tell from a distance.
                          I suppose anything is possible, as far as I know, in 5San Diego City that you have to have a certain minimum distance from the apex of the roof... I'm not aware of any allowance for panels on one side of the roof peak of a common attic space... which is actually how my panels are mounted...

Believe me, I tried every which way to figure out if I could use my existing panel (you can read it in this thread)... the neighbor that didn't do a panel upgrade is literally 2 houses over and has the exact same model track home I have and has the same number of panels (no idea about the inverter specs) I really can't see how they got around this... but again anything is possible but that sort of isn't the point of my post...

Comment

• Willaby
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2015

Hi - can I get the name of your installer too? (you should charge a buck for each time you've provided this),
                            thanks

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Willaby
                              ... (you should charge a buck for each time you've provided this),
                              thanks
                              That is not allowed by Forum policies. (I know it was not a serious suggestion.)
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• lkstaack
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Willaby
                                Hi - can I get the name of your installer too? (you should charge a buck for each time you've provided this),
                                thanks
                                Caveat Emptor. I used the same installer and wasn't as pleased. YMMV.

Comment

Working...