X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SleepingDragon
    • Mar 2015

Originally posted by silversaver
    He has 24 panels, but somehow the design graph only shows 23 panels.... I told him to call the installer later on. they pairing his LG280W with M215... I guess his W270 should be ok.
    I would have thought 280 watts panels should be better paired with m250...

Comment

• OftheSeven
      • Jan 2015

Bob, you run the A/C during the past few days?
      Wonder how it affects your numbers, especially if you run it during the peak times in your TOU plan.

Comment

• Alisobob
        Banned
        • Sep 2014

solar84.JPG

I was home on Tues during the day... set the thermostat to 72 when I got home at noon.

Finished the day, slightly over.

The spike in the evening was my kids, baking chocolate croissants.

Yummy!!!

This is a typical day, without running the A/C

solar60.JPG

Comment

• OftheSeven
          • Jan 2015

That's pretty good. Your TOU plan only has a 6 hour peak time?
          It was in the mid 90s here the past few days and my net metering isn't turned on yet

Didn't need it during the day until about 4PM, kicked in at 79 degrees, then dinner activity. Late night spike is car charging and a last a/c run for a little bit.

4_29 Usage.jpg

Comment

• Alisobob
            Banned
            • Sep 2014

As a "TEST".... I'll put both thermostats at 72 degrees tomorrow, and keep it cool for a 24 hour period, as see what the usage is....

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Alisobob
              As a "TEST".... I'll put both thermostats at 72 degrees tomorrow, and keep it cool for a 24 hour period, as see what the usage is....
              Suggest keeping an eye/record on outside ambient temps as well. If it's hot tomorrow, the A/C and therefore elec. usage will probably lag the outside temp. changes by a few hrs. or so. If not, you may well have a leaky house.

Comment

• Alisobob
                Banned
                • Sep 2014

temp.JPG

We'll see how it goes...

Comment

• Alisobob
                  Banned
                  • Sep 2014

solar89.JPG solar2.JPG

PV Watts..... almost on the button again.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Alisobob
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6547[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6548[/ATTACH]

PV Watts..... almost on the button again.
                    Which means the weather month just completed was similar to the TMY weather month PVWatts used to estimate output. Nothing more.

Using std. PVWatts defaults, my output was 1.3 % lower this April (866 kWh) than the PVWatts estimate. Last April it was about 5% higher (922 kWh) than PVWatts estimated (877 kWh).

This April's horizontal irradiance was about 7.2% less than last April's.

This April's output was about 6.5% % lower than last April's.

Ave. temps for the month on my roof were 63.3 deg. F. and 63.2 deg. F., 2014/2015 for all times averaged in 1 min. increments.

The ave. wind speed was higher this April (3.1 MPH) vs. last April (1.65 MPH) which may be why this year's output decline was not as large as this year's irradiance decrease - the array probably ran cooler due to higher wind velocity.

Add: Potential Sunpower owners take note - Bob's output for April was pretty much in line with what I've been saying for some time now: That in spite of a diff. in location and orientation, his non Sunpower array which is 1.24 times my Sunpower array, consistently manages to produce about 1.25 times or so more output, or, about equal output per installed kW. This is also in spite of my probably higher ambient temps. and likely clearer morning weather and a different TMY weather location. Not a smoking gun, but consistently more than anecdotal data that most decent systems produce about the same output - Sunpower and most every else's, making Sunpower grossly overpriced for most applications.
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 05-01-2015, 12:48 AM. Reason: Added add

Comment

• silversaver
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2013

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                      Which means the weather month just completed was similar to the TMY weather month PVWatts used to estimate output. Nothing more.

Using std. PVWatts defaults, my output was 1.3 % lower this April (866 kWh) than the PVWatts estimate. Last April it was about 5% higher (922 kWh) than PVWatts estimated (877 kWh).

This April's horizontal irradiance was about 7.2% less than last April's.

This April's output was about 6.5% % lower than last April's.

Ave. temps for the month on my roof were 63.3 deg. F. and 63.2 deg. F., 2014/2015 for all times averaged in 1 min. increments.

The ave. wind speed was higher this April (3.1 MPH) vs. last April (1.65 MPH) which may be why this year's output decline was not as large as this year's irradiance decrease - the array probably ran cooler due to higher wind velocity.

Add: Potential Sunpower owners take note - Bob's output for April was pretty much in line with what I've been saying for some time now: That in spite of a diff. in location and orientation, his non Sunpower array which is 1.24 times my Sunpower array, consistently manages to produce about 1.25 times or so more output, or, about equal output per installed kW. This is also in spite of my probably higher ambient temps. and likely clearer morning weather and a different TMY weather location. Not a smoking gun, but consistently more than anecdotal data that most decent systems produce about the same output - Sunpower and most every else's, making Sunpower grossly overpriced for most applications.
                      maybe we'll check again in 10yrs and see if SP worth the extra premium.... Hope my cheap Bosch panels will last that long....
                      Attached Files

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by silversaver
                        maybe we'll check again in 10yrs and see if SP worth the extra premium.... Hope my cheap Bosch panels will last that long....
                        At what you paid, you'll need to wait more than 10 years.

Comment

• control4userguy
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2014

^Never ends with you , does it.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by control4userguy
                            ^Never ends with you , does it.
                            If I'm being presumptuous here I apologize: Probably the stick in the eye to Sunpower part, huh ?

I welcome substantive, constructive criticism. I don't read either of those in your comment.

You don't like it, don't read it.

Take want you want. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• control4userguy
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2014

^The problem is wherever I go on this forum you are there banging away at one particular brand. How constructive is that? Perhaps if you had empirical data I'd lay-off. Maybe there are folks out there who absolutely need a bigger panel for a smaller footprint. I don't know, you don't know.

Comment

• russ
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by control4userguy
                                ^The problem is wherever I go on this forum you are there banging away at one particular brand. How constructive is that? Perhaps if you had empirical data I'd lay-off. Maybe there are folks out there who absolutely need a bigger panel for a smaller footprint. I don't know, you don't know.
                                Get a life - that a smaller footprint may control is usually stated along with complaints about the high price. You are whining about a non point.
                                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...