Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need your help please....planning on installing my own solar

Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here. Last time I was smacked into reality on being so rushed to go with crazy companies like SunPower, Solar City etc... I have since stood back re-examined everything, learned a little more and am now back to ask questions. Please feel free to ask me to clarify things cause I can blab on and on.

This time I've decided to install everything on my own with my brother in law and if the electrical portion gets to be to much, then I will contract it out.

So here's what I'm looking to do:

We just bought a Nissan Leaf. The county I live in will be sending me a $3,000 check and California will send me another $2,500 check just for buying a EV. So I told the wife let's re-invest this money right back into the home and start our solar panel journey So the total rebates I have is $5,500. I plan on throwing another $1,000 in there for a total of $6,500 to start building a system.

I've been working with both www.wholesalesolar.com & www.gogreensolar.com. Not sure what everyone is saying about these 2 companies but so far gogreensolar.com is much more professional and friendlier. I've been blown off by wholesalesolar.com 3 times already and maybe it's because of the little I'm looking to spend right off the bat ....who knows.

I don't want to build the entire system now, but I'd rather start and then every other month or so add to it until I get to what is required.

Below is my usage with PG&E in Central California, I'm currently on the E-1 rate with Tiers 1-4 but have now requested the EVA rate which is time of use for electric vehicle charges which shows that I would have save $245 over the year compared to the year before:

*12,559kWh per year/1046.58kWh per month average
    *Cost per year - $2,913.99 / $242.89 per month average

Zip Code is: 95336

So I've started the process (getting quotes) to get my 125 amp breaker panel upgraded to a 200amp box first. This does not come out of my solar budge since I'm having to upgrade to get a new 30amp circuit for my Nissan Leaf.

So my house is built in 2001 and is a one story home at 2,000 sq. feet. I have Flat Cement tiles that interlock and my roof is at an approx 20 degree pitch with most of the it facing south. I've watched videos on who to safely remove the tiles and how to install Quick Hooks by Quickmount PV and I think I'm ok with it. Below are the measurements of my roof:

Roof measurements: 26'w x 17'h at the biggest portion where the current pool solar is located and will be removed with the space below the pool solar being another 14'ft. x 8'ft. That counts for 3.5' ft off the right side edge and from the top.

To the of left of the left most vent where there is nothing on the south roof and coming 3.5' ft. From the left edge, the measurements are 9' ft. x 6'ft.
    Then there is a Space left over from the above has about 5'ft x 4'ft and thats with 3.5'ft from the left edge.

Soooooo the million dollar question is: Go or No Go with $6,000 budget? I want to put together a top notch "best bang for your buck" system that will come close if not cover 100% of my electric useage as I build on. I realize that I won't get much for $6k but can it at least get me up and running to where I can slowly add on and is that recommended. Slowly meaning build it out completely over the next 2 -3 years.

I'm still waiting on the quote from gogreensolar.com they carry many brands of panels etc..but they want me to go with the new LG 300w panel with Enphase M250 units. The people at wholesalesolar.com are wanting to sell me the SolarWorld panels or the Astronergy panels...with SolarEdge Optimizers if that makes sense.

So what is the best way...optimizers or enphase micro-inverters....yes I've read up on it but it's not easy and would like someone here to tell me. Also any recommendations on panels for the size of roof that I have, I wanted to get something that has a good reputation and also puts out a good amount of wattage to cover my needs for my roof size.

Thank you all for your help and hopefully I can start getting somewhere, if I forget anything or something doesn't make sense, please ask me to clarify.

PS - As always if there is anyone that lives near Manteca, CA and is willing to help, I can return the favor and either help you with your install or do computer work for you as that is my profession

As you said, $6000 isn't going to get you much but you should be able to start it out.

From what I've read, an Enphase setup will be cheaper for a smaller system while SolarEdge is cheaper once the systems get to a certain size. That's because with SolarEdge you need to buy an central inverter which can be a big hit on the budget, and if you plan to expand the system as you go, then you need to get a big inverter to start out.

The SolarEdge system will also take a bit more planning to tie into with future panels though shouldn't be too bad, still Enphase will be easier I believe.

By the way, look at Renvu.com as well for the parts you need, they had the best pricing I found.

Comment

Originally posted by mihzyd777 View Post
      Hi Everyone,

It's been a while since I've been here. Last time I was smacked into reality on being so rushed to go with crazy companies like SunPower, Solar City etc... I have since stood back re-examined everything, learned a little more and am now back to ask questions. Please feel free to ask me to clarify things cause I can blab on and on.

This time I've decided to install everything on my own with my brother in law and if the electrical portion gets to be to much, then I will contract it out.

So here's what I'm looking to do:

We just bought a Nissan Leaf. The county I live in will be sending me a $3,000 check and California will send me another $2,500 check just for buying a EV. So I told the wife let's re-invest this money right back into the home and start our solar panel journey So the total rebates I have is $5,500. I plan on throwing another $1,000 in there for a total of $6,500 to start building a system.

I've been working with both www.wholesalesolar.com & www.gogreensolar.com. Not sure what everyone is saying about these 2 companies but so far gogreensolar.com is much more professional and friendlier. I've been blown off by wholesalesolar.com 3 times already and maybe it's because of the little I'm looking to spend right off the bat ....who knows.

I don't want to build the entire system now, but I'd rather start and then every other month or so add to it until I get to what is required.

Below is my usage with PG&E in Central California, I'm currently on the E-1 rate with Tiers 1-4 but have now requested the EVA rate which is time of use for electric vehicle charges which shows that I would have save $245 over the year compared to the year before:

*12,559kWh per year/1046.58kWh per month average
      *Cost per year - $2,913.99 / $242.89 per month average

Zip Code is: 95336

So I've started the process (getting quotes) to get my 125 amp breaker panel upgraded to a 200amp box first. This does not come out of my solar budge since I'm having to upgrade to get a new 30amp circuit for my Nissan Leaf.

So my house is built in 2001 and is a one story home at 2,000 sq. feet. I have Flat Cement tiles that interlock and my roof is at an approx 20 degree pitch with most of the it facing south. I've watched videos on who to safely remove the tiles and how to install Quick Hooks by Quickmount PV and I think I'm ok with it. Below are the measurements of my roof:

Roof measurements: 26'w x 17'h at the biggest portion where the current pool solar is located and will be removed with the space below the pool solar being another 14'ft. x 8'ft. That counts for 3.5' ft off the right side edge and from the top.

To the of left of the left most vent where there is nothing on the south roof and coming 3.5' ft. From the left edge, the measurements are 9' ft. x 6'ft.
      Then there is a Space left over from the above has about 5'ft x 4'ft and thats with 3.5'ft from the left edge.

Soooooo the million dollar question is: Go or No Go with $6,000 budget? I want to put together a top notch "best bang for your buck" system that will come close if not cover 100% of my electric useage as I build on. I realize that I won't get much for $6k but can it at least get me up and running to where I can slowly add on and is that recommended. Slowly meaning build it out completely over the next 2 -3 years.

I'm still waiting on the quote from gogreensolar.com they carry many brands of panels etc..but they want me to go with the new LG 300w panel with Enphase M250 units. The people at wholesalesolar.com are wanting to sell me the SolarWorld panels or the Astronergy panels...with SolarEdge Optimizers if that makes sense.

So what is the best way...optimizers or enphase micro-inverters....yes I've read up on it but it's not easy and would like someone here to tell me. Also any recommendations on panels for the size of roof that I have, I wanted to get something that has a good reputation and also puts out a good amount of wattage to cover my needs for my roof size.

Thank you all for your help and hopefully I can start getting somewhere, if I forget anything or something doesn't make sense, please ask me to clarify.

PS - As always if there is anyone that lives near Manteca, CA and is willing to help, I can return the favor and either help you with your install or do computer work for you as that is my profession
      Looks like you've done your homework. So far, so good. Welcome back to the show.

Since you ask:

1.) Only opinions/suggestions from here on from me. Your money/choice/life.
      Short/bottom line opinion only: After you cut your use as much further as you choose, skip the DIY, go w/a 7-8kW string system installed by a reputable vendor for somewhere between $24K and $32K, depending on size. You'll pay more than DIY but w/ less hassle and a recourse if things go south. Just opinion.
      Either way, DIY or vendor, before you start with either, keep in mind that AB 327 mandated changes will continue to change the electrical rate landscape for the near/mid/long term future in ways not completely clear at this time. Stay flexible and informed. Get familiar w/ your electric rates. PITA, but worth it, and anyway necessary to make more informed decisions.
      Also, before you start, get your roof inspected/serviced as necessary. Solar lasts a long time. Do your best to ensure the roof under/around it will too. Cheap insurance. You won't be sorry.

2.) There may be hidden costs in incremental system build. Extra design, permitting, inspections, non $$ PITA stuff, etc. Also, the risk of unavailability of identical equipment in the future.

3.) Some think micros less practical than string. If you have not already done so, check it out. Incremental build still possible w/ string, maybe just not quite as "incremental". If micros, think about how you will arrange the panels to be able to access all of them for service if necessary w/ min. of hassle/disruption/removal of adjacent panels. Think ahead.

4.) If you drive it 12,000 miles/yr. the Leaf will add probably something like ~~ 4,000 kWhrs./yr. to your annual usage, perhaps bumping it up to ~~ 16,000 to 17,000 kWhrs./yr.

5.) Learn your electric rate structure options (TOU, other) and the impact of changing your current billing method to something else from how you are currently billed.

6.) Other non economic goals aside for a second, depending on POCO electrical costs and system costs, it may not be cost effective to offset your entire electric bill w/solar. If you're on tiered rates, a first approximation at most cost effective size would offset all but the tier 1 & 2, or whatever the lowest cost stuff is. For the CA IOU POCO's those lower tiers currently amount to about 3,500-5,000 kWhrs./yr., meaning you may want to think about generating, sooner or later, about 12,000 to 13,000 kWhrs./yr. Check # 1 above about rate savvy.

7.) Running PVWatts w/a .84 derate factor or so and your zip/tilt/az. can approximate long term system performance. Plug in the #'s and adjust the system size until output is 12,500 or so kWhrs./yr. or whatever size you choose. If you go incremental DIY, design the whole ultimate system up front and plan the incremental additions as part of the design.

8.) If you go DIY, don't ignore building codes/depts. The Building dept. in most areas can be a good source of info and a good resource. Besides, to paraphrase what LBJ said, they're better inside the tent with you pissin' out than the other way around.

9.) Depending on shading/tilt/azimuth and how sunny you are, I'd WAG that a 7 to 8 kW system w/ a LEAF added to the load might be a first approx. for a cost effective size.

10.) Check the CSI database. It is a very powerful tool. Depending on your POCO, funding for state rebates has probably expired, but allowing a waiting list may still put new jobs on the database. Either way, some rough guidance on costs may be available. At this time, in So. CA at least, vendor installed systems are running about $3.50 -$3.90/Watt to the vendor before tax credits for decent, non Sunpower systems installed by reputable vendors. Do the math on installed cost. I've no idea what an incremental DIY cost might be. Pay your money, take your choice.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks guys for the reply and the excellent insight! You always scare me when people say I should contract it out vs. DIY lol.

Has anyone here installed there own large system and how much of a cost savings was it ? Is it worth it?

The guys at www.wholesalesolar.com told me I should start with the Solaredge kit that comes with 10 panels and grow from there, but again that would be almost $3k out of my budget. I guess I could wait, but have been wanting this for so long. Also with my limited roof space facing south, what wattage and brand panels would you all recommend?

Thanks!

--Mod Note: No clickable links to sales sites please. It is not respectful to our sponsor(s). Links to specific product pages may or may not be OK and mention of a supplier without linking is also often OK.
        Last edited by inetdog; 07-02-2014, 04:19 PM. Reason: deactivated HTML link

Comment

Only advice I am going to give is make absolutely sure you understand, as stated above, your building codes AND electrical codes. Some places allow for homeowners to do their own electrical work and simply have it signed off by a certified electrician, some don't - make sure you know which is yours.

Comment

Working...
          X