• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SunPower System Question

I got a quote for a SunPower System with the following specs:

22 SunPower E19/245 Watt panels
    22 Enphase M250 micro inverters
    $24,000 ($4.45 per DC Watt) Before any incentives

Does any one know if these panels are dis-continued by SunPower? I don't see them listed on SunPower's website.

It looks like these panels are at least a couple of generations behind the X21 latest panels. Does their lower efficiency really come into effect compared to a similar sized X21 based system? Is the price good for these panels? Looking around for SunPower panels, the price seems to be on the better side.

Does any one have them installed? Are they working well?

I Appreciate any inputs you can provide.

Thanks!

Check out Costco with Grape Solar panels. There is a 5% discount going on now and I think your cost will be lower. You buy the panels on your AmEx card through Costco and they suggest an installer. My installer charges a flat rate of $1.5/W. They got the permits and everything. It was easy peasy.... I don't even work for Costco!

Comment

Originally posted by Ward L View Post
      Check out Costco with Grape Solar panels. There is a 5% discount going on now and I think your cost will be lower. You buy the panels on your AmEx card through Costco and they suggest an installer. My installer charges a flat rate of $1.5/W. They got the permits and everything. It was easy peasy.... I don't even work for Costco!
      Seriously, the price for that solar you got aint cheap if you ask me. I will not pay that price for a Grape solar panels.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post

Does any one know if these panels are dis-continued by SunPower? I don't see them listed on SunPower's website.

It looks like these panels are at least a couple of generations behind the X21 latest panels. Does their lower efficiency really come into effect compared to a similar sized X21 based system? Is the price good for these panels? Looking around for SunPower panels, the price seems to be on the better side.

Thanks!
        If you are going to get 245 watt panels and roof space is not a concern, I'd look to another top tier brand 250 watt panel. You should save about a dollar per watt. The price you were quoted is the price a system using the higher wattage SunPower panels would be.

Comment

For that price, I'll look for other alternatives. There's nothing wrong for the panel and they are nice product, but the price isn't nice at all. You are paying the price for 327W or a 245W? That's not a smart choice.

Why micro inverters? Shading? If so, I'll take other brand name as LG, Solarword, Kyocera or even Canadian solar.

slopoke has very good setup LG300W + M250 micro. I saw his system clip almost everyday

Comment

Dony pay that much for panels.

I understand the sales tactics used by Sunpower salesmen, don't waste your money on "top tier" panels. Stick with a decent imported solar panel you will see the same results. Why are you using Micro inverters, shading issues? You should be able to get a decent 5kw system with a string inverter for around $15K.

Comment

Originally posted by MadDog View Post

Thanks!
              As others have said, Sunpower's great stuff. Your money - your choice. Pay your money, take your choice. You want nice - you pay nice. Mercedes vs. Toyota. Either is a great grocery hauler. Same w/ solar panels, except in the case of the panels you're buying an appliance, not a lifestyle. Unless you're space limited, Sunpower gets you little more than bragging rights and a slimmer wallet, and MAYBE some extra warranty protection (the need of which is yet to be demonstrated) and whose alleged (not proven over time (yet)) lower performance degradation may very likely NOT be worth the 20% to 30% up front price premium.

There is a lot of public information that suggests, and IMO, more or less confirms that equally (electrical) sized systems in the same location, orientation and service produce about equal yearly output pretty much regardless of panel manufacturer. Sunpower puts out about the same as others - it just does so with a smaller footprint. thus the bogus "most efficient" claim. Most efficient area wise. Looks to me least efficient from a $$ efficiency standpoint. Pay your money, take your choice. FWIW, I'd rather spend my money on a reputable installer and getting my roof inspected and serviced if/as needed. Two probably much wiser investments and cheap insurance to boot.

Unless you have shade issues, Micro inverters tend to cost more and in the opinion of some offer more failure points. I'd guess the ability of monitoring individual panels may be nice but I'm bet will be rarely used after the novelty wears off.

As for prices, check the CSI database for system/panel mfg. price comparisons. You'll see Sunpower paneled systems cost a fair chunk more.

As for system comparison, check a website called PVoutput.org. Use the map and find systems close to you. If you're in luck, you'll find systems close to you. Root around some in there and you'll probably confirm for yourself the relative insensitivity of system performance as f(panel manufacturer).

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Comment

Maybe I'm Missing Something?

Originally posted by silversaver View Post
                Seriously, the price for that solar you got aint cheap if you ask me. I will not pay that price for a Grape solar panels.

The 10kW system cost $23,570 or $2.24/W ($2.41/W counting sales tax) and the install is another $15,000 or $1.50/W. The after sales tax is $3.91/W. If you include extra 3% off my AmEx card with Costco, the cost is down to $3.84/W installed. It may not be the cheapest price, but it is a decent price. What would you pay and where would you buy them?

Comment

Originally posted by Ward L View Post
                  The 10kW system cost $23,570 or $2.24/W ($2.41/W counting sales tax) and the install is another $15,000 or $1.50/W. The after sales tax is $3.91/W. If you include extra 3% off my AmEx card with Costco, the cost is down to $3.84/W installed. It may not be the cheapest price, but it is a decent price. What would you pay and where would you buy them?
                  I will not buy Grape Solar unless that are super cheap. You can get a Solarword 275W +Enphase M250 or LG290 + M250 at lower price if you find your own installer. I did find a installer at my area (SoCal) at much lower price. (I did try this route by finding my own installer but gave up on the idea later)

Like I said, read and shop. I guess it is already too late since you bought the system already.

Comment

I really don't see why it should cost $1.50/W to install a solar power system. Our team of 3 installers can complete a 10kw system in a day.

Comment

Working...
                    X