• Show
Clear All
  • WattsUp
    • Nov 2011

All solved

Originally posted by russ
    Glad to hear of your success!
    Thanks, Russ.

A courtesy post to close the loop and report that I now have a working PV system again.

All panels removed, tested, and reiinstalled. One string was all present and correct continuity-wise but two connectors on the other string (the one that was open circuit) were found to be broken as a result of poor installation (long, free-hanging, wiring runs, in at least one case with a connector under tension in in the middle, banging on the roofing tiles).

As a result of a thorough electrician I also learned why since the first time the system got wet it has reported "earth leakage" in the Sunnybeam log every time it rains; the DC tails run vertically down behind a gutter downpipe, each tail enclosed in a length of plastic conduit. At the bottom of the conduit is a plastic box common to both, the DC circuit then continuing out of it horizontally round the corner of the house and on to the externally-hung inverter. I had always assumed that the box was used simply as an effective way of bending stiff cable through 90 degrees.

Wrong!

Rain had been running down the conduit and collecting in the box. Given 600v DC and a fair whack of current I am amazed that there had not been a flash and a bang.

Now fixed too. No logfile errors and strong generation.

Thanks again for all the pointers along the way,
    WattsUp

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

That's a mess, must have taken some resources to clean up. Hopefully not to be repeated
      soon. I spent some serious time "improving" my outdoor setup to hopefully keep out the
      bugs & moisture as much as possible. Gland feed throughs, silicon caulking, duct tape,
      extra covers, etc. Cable management too, hopefully nothing flapping. Time will tell. Bruce

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

That has to be the poorest wiring I have seen in a while.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...