X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ppzhao
    • Oct 2013

Small solar powered battery plug?

Hi, I see a lot of solar powered Christmas lights in stores. Is there a way to buy just the solar powered battery itself with a "normal" plug attached to it? This way I can plug in any small decoration lights I want on my porch, throughout the year celebrating different holidays?

If that type of thing doesn't exist, is there a plug/converter I can buy to turn something like this into a "normal" plug that's barely strong enough to power whatever LED light I decide to plug into it?

Thanks everyone for the help.
    --Paul.
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

Yes you can
    You will need about $500 worth of batteries inverter charge controller and solar panel.
    Still interested?
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• ppzhao
      • Oct 2013

Wow, that sucks. Why does the solar powered Christmas lights cost $20, but if I want to use that technology and plug something else into it, it would cost me $500?

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ppzhao
        Wow, that sucks. Why does the solar powered Christmas lights cost $20, but if I want to use that technology and plug something else into it, it would cost me $500?
        The cost is in the batteries, solar panel, battery charger and inverter. The lights are nothing but the dressing.

Comment

• ppzhao
          • Oct 2013

Yeah, but the $20 solar powered Christmas lights comes with all those things, right? It's able to convert solar power into electricity, store enough it long enough to last through the night, AND have the dressing of the lights to go with it. Why can't I just get the first parts for similar cost that comes with a normal plug instead, and plug my own lights into it somehow?

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Yeah, but the $20 solar powered Christmas lights comes with all those things, right? It's able to convert solar power into electricity, store enough it long enough to last through the night, AND have the dressing of the lights to go with it. Why can't I just get the first parts for similar cost that comes with a normal plug instead, and plug my own lights into it somehow?
            Because you need panels, charge controller and batteries to make it work.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• ppzhao
              • Oct 2013

Sorry, I'm kinda new to solar energy. But doesn't the $20 gadgets also contain all those things you just described? And it costs $20 together, why is it that if I want to buy a subset of the item, it costs $500? Is it purely the cost of convert the gadget into a "normal jack"?

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Wait. You saying that you have purchased a string of LED Christmas lights that already comes with some type of solar panel and battery system to light them up at night.

Now you want to use that same solar panel / battery system to power a different string of lights say Orange for Halloween?

You would have to determine how many watts are in that string of Christmas lights and what voltage they run on. Then you would need to get a string of lights with the same wattage and voltage rating.

Depending on how the Christmas lights are wired you should be able to cut the wires and then make some type of "plug connection" termination that will allow you to unplug one set of lights and plug in a different set of lights.

Probably some stuff from Radio Shack will do it but the hard part is determining the wattage and voltage rating of the existing string of LED lights and then purchasing an identical replacement set.

That Amazon link you posted is for a solar panel that will generate 2.5 watts at 12 volts. You would be able to light up something that runs on 12 volt DC that is rated 2.5 watts for as long as the sun shines. Or use that panel to charge a 12volt battery which would then run your 12v DC lights.
                Last edited by SunEagle; 10-28-2013, 02:13 PM. Reason: added amazon link comment

Comment

• ppzhao
                  • Oct 2013

Thanks SunEagle. I haven't bought the Christmas lights yet, but yes, they do have their own solar panel and everything for $20ish. Here's an example. http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek®-Solar-.../dp/B005HBWZD2

I was hoping they'd sell just the panel and a plug so I can plug in my own different themed lights throughout the year. Guess those products don't exist.

Comment

• SunEagle
                    Super Moderator
                    • Oct 2012

Thanks SunEagle. I haven't bought the Christmas lights yet, but yes, they do have their own solar panel and everything for $20ish. Here's an example. http://www.amazon.com/AGPtek®-Solar-.../dp/B005HBWZD2

I was hoping they'd sell just the panel and a plug so I can plug in my own different themed lights throughout the year. Guess those products don't exist.
                    The tough part is making all of the different light strings the same so that you could plug and play. It is still possible to create your own plug but finding lighting with the same wattage and voltage may be difficult.

Also if you checked on the people that rated that item most found it would not keep the lights on very long. That could be due to the placement of the solar panel not getting enough sunlight or the poor quality of the system.

As a couple of us stated before. You could build your own solar / battery system for different types of LED light strings but it will end up costing your a few hundred by the time you are done.

Comment

• ppzhao
                      • Oct 2013

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it. I guess I'll give up on this idea for now. You guys are awesome.

Comment

Working...