Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Non-hybrid grid-tie system setup help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-hybrid grid-tie system setup help...

I was recently given twenty, brand new, 100W solar panels as a gift and need some advice on how to implement them. I am working on a SHTF underground shelter that will have a ventend battery bank later but for now I want to use these panels in a (hopefully) simple grid-tie configuration for my home. The panel specs are as follows:

Pmax- 100W
    Vmp- 38.5V Voc- 54.2C
    lmp- 2.67A lsc- 3.14A

What is the most efficient way to grid-tie these panels, and what equipment should I use? I'm assuming I can't just wire these parrallel to create a 2000W/55A/38.5V DC supply and just connect it to a DC/AC converter and plug it into an outlet in my home and expect my meter to run backwards.

If anyone can suggest products/model numbers or something close it would really help. My wife was like "Sell them and keep the money" until she browsed youtube for a night while I was at work and I come home to breakfast and "Honey, how soon can you install those solar panels to save us money on our electric bill? This is a great summer project to keep you busy and out of the house..." (-__-) I have been thrown into this solar movement and have no idea what I am doing.

Originally posted by Silent_Homicide View Post
    I was recently given twenty, brand new, 100W solar panels as a gift and need some advice on how to implement them. I am working on a SHTF underground shelter that will have a ventend battery bank later but for now I want to use these panels in a (hopefully) simple grid-tie configuration for my home. The panel specs are as follows:

Pmax- 100W
    Vmp- 38.5V Voc- 54.2C
    lmp- 2.67A lsc- 3.14A

What is the most efficient way to grid-tie these panels, and what equipment should I use? I'm assuming I can't just wire these parrallel to create a 2000W/55A/38.5V DC supply and just connect it to a DC/AC converter and plug it into an outlet in my home and expect my meter to run backwards.

If anyone can suggest products/model numbers or something close it would really help. My wife was like "Sell them and keep the money" until she browsed youtube for a night while I was at work and I come home to breakfast and "Honey, how soon can you install those solar panels to save us money on our electric bill? This is a great summer project to keep you busy and out of the house..." (-__-) I have been thrown into this solar movement and have no idea what I am doing.
    First off forget about using one of them "plug into an outlet" type inverter. They are dangerous because they fail and catch fire as well as being illegal to use in the US. There are a number of Grid Tie Inverters that are acceptable but it all depends on where you live and how much sun you will get to determine which equipment to install. I would suggest you read some of the stickies concerning "grid tie systems". They will give you some answers as to what is needed to get a system installed. Then come back and you can ask specific questions.

One factor that seems to create some push-back by new people is the fact you will need an licensed electrician to pull permits and make the wiring connections to the grid. If you don't the chances are about 110% that the Utility will not let you do so.

Comment

Quote, "a SHTF underground shelter"

Have fun wasting your time!
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        Quote, "a SHTF underground shelter"

Have fun wasting your time!
        I wasn't even going to go there. I just thought I would warn him from thinking about using one of those plug in inverters.

Comment

Personally I do not bother with Preppers.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
            Well before he hides in his hole he might be installing a grid tie system. Thought I could at least prevent a tragedy and stop someone from using one of those crappy inverter.

I don't think I would really want to survive in a world after the "merde hits the rotating oscillator".

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Preppers come in all sorts. Some go to extremes and think they can build a bunker and outlast nature or social catastrophe, others like me just prep as a way of natural lifestyle. Much of my life has been 'backwoods' style in the mountains or living in hurricane country and I naturally prepare for months ahead, live a low watt life and can go with or without grid fairly well even without solar. It's just common sense for a country bumpkin to be prepared.
              The new prepper style of city folk... hahahaha... reminds me of 'new age' people back in the 70s. What a fad. Focusing on just a bit of possible reality while ignoring common sense and their everyday lifestyle of consumption and ego.

Comment

Nothing wrong with being a Country Bumpkin and self efficient.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

My wife was like "Sell them and keep the money"
                  That's what I would do if you have grid available. When you get into batteries and everything else required to be off grid you'll see why.

When we did survival training all those years of "playing" in the forest really paid off.

We went out for 2 weeks and you know some of us actually gained weight

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaSun View Post
                    others like me just prep as a way of natural lifestyle.
                    The Mormons are preppers in that regard - in that manner I don't disagree at all.

Just when people are going to save the world by living on top a mountain or save themselves by having an underground bunker it gets into silly time.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
                      First off forget about using one of them "plug into an outlet" type inverter. They are dangerous because they fail and catch fire as well as being illegal to use in the US. There are a number of Grid Tie Inverters that are acceptable but it all depends on where you live and how much sun you will get to determine which equipment to install. I would suggest you read some of the stickies concerning "grid tie systems". They will give you some answers as to what is needed to get a system installed. Then come back and you can ask specific questions.

One factor that seems to create some push-back by new people is the fact you will need an licensed electrician to pull permits and make the wiring connections to the grid. If you don't the chances are about 110% that the Utility will not let you do so.

I've read a few and looks like i will just have to contact my provider for guidance on code approved equipment. At least the TVA will pay me for extra power sent back.

As far as prepping goes; i just like to be prepared for when a tornado tears apart my home, or if lightning strikes and my home burns down. I will have a temporary shelter with food, filtered water, filtered air and all i need to survive for 6-8 months. It means I don't have to pay for a hotel or depend on others to support me. Gives me a place to put all my weapons when the feds come to grab them or when something like the boston bombing happens and they start kicking in our doors. I have an underground shelter that can't be seen from the sky (unless FLIR is used to read heat signatures that can be seen through the ground) and isn't noticable to anyone on the ground. My wife and I are safe... Unlike all those who will have to live in the FEMA Camps.

Comment

I've read a few and looks like i will just have to contact my provider for guidance on code approved equipment. At least the TVA will pay me for extra power sent back.

As far as prepping goes; i just like to be prepared for when a tornado tears apart my home, or if lightning strikes and my home burns down. I will have a temporary shelter with food, filtered water, filtered air and all i need to survive for 6-8 months. It means I don't have to pay for a hotel or depend on others to support me. Gives me a place to put all my weapons when the feds come to grab them or when something like the boston bombing happens and they start kicking in our doors. I have an underground shelter that can't be seen from the sky (unless FLIR is used to read heat signatures that can be seen through the ground) and isn't noticable to anyone on the ground. My wife and I are safe... Unlike all those who will have to live in the FEMA Camps.
                        I understand your thoughts concerning of being prepared. I also have to worry about hurricanes and the loss of power for extend period of time. Having multiple sources of electricity generation gives me multiple levels of coverage to keep food storage and other essentials safe. Having an underground shelter is a little hard when you live with a high water table so a safe room is the best I can do.

As for any political fall out. There are some things that no amount of money and time can truly prepare for so I will have to just have to do the best I can if the wind changes. Good luck with your project and I pray that you will not need it for anything other than a natural disaster.

Comment

Working...
                        X