X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mikenmar
    • May 2015

Originally posted by russ
    The power company couldn't care about your solar system - the amount produced is meaningless to them - the lost income is of no consequence at all. Don't screw yourself because you mistakenly think the power companies are bad guys.
    Lost income is of no consequence to them?? You've got to be kidding.

PG&E proposes far-reaching changes for solar power:

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Better check again, the books are stacked against you. Peak hours used to end at 5 or 6 pm (1990's) Recently, the utilities pushed them till 9pm.
      Your solar harvest will generally fall off at 3pm, or earlier, so don't expect much of your peak offset for that 1 hour, to flywheel you till 9pm!
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• mikenmar
        • May 2015

For the two days it's been in operation, I've been getting net excess production as late as 5 pm or so.

Second, prior to 2 pm, I'm still getting partial peak pricing from Monday to Friday. Most of my day usage is on the weekends, and I set my car to charge on off-peak hours.

But I'm not trying to brag, I'm mainly trying to get confirmation for whether I properly understand their net metering pricing policy.

Comment

• sensij
          Solar Fanatic
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by mikenmar
          For the two days it's been in operation, I've been getting net excess production as late as 5 pm or so.

Second, prior to 2 pm, I'm still getting partial peak pricing from Monday to Friday. Most of my day usage is on the weekends, and I set my car to charge on off-peak hours.

But I'm not trying to brag, I'm mainly trying to get confirmation for whether I properly understand their net metering pricing policy.
          You understand correctly. Sdge still has 12-6pm peak on their tou plan, and with my system this time of year, i only need to produce around 60% of what i consume to achieve 100% bill offset. The credits during the day pay for a lot of ev charging at night.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

T.O.U. can be used do reduce a bill and also has the capability to reduce initial system size in the way Sensij has done and as he reports. Until recently, that initial size reduction capability has sort of gone unnoticed. Those reductions under T.O.U. seem most effective when existing usage patterns either already have a larger portion of use at times other than "peak" or if/when users choose to adjust their lifestyle/usage patterns to shift usage away from peak times........................ The POCO's, not being stupid, and probably playing heads' up ball, anticipate this as well as beginning to perhaps see some time shifting of peak times of demand as confirmation.....................That's probably one of several reasons why T.O.U. peak times are shifting to the later hours of the day. That shift has picked up steam in the recent past and will probably be subject to continual attempts at flexibility in response to changing influences on usage and pricing....................... I'd not be surprised at efforts to delink what a generator on T.O.U. pays for power from what that generator gets as revenue from the POCO for power generated during similar time periods. Watch for it.

Comment

• mikenmar
              • May 2015

Originally posted by sensij
              You understand correctly. Sdge still has 12-6pm peak on their tou plan, and with my system this time of year, i only need to produce around 60% of what i consume to achieve 100% bill offset. The credits during the day pay for a lot of ev charging at night.
              Excellent! But I wonder whether my installer took this into account when they estimated the size of my system. I sent them a spreadsheet with a year of usage data broken down by the hour, but I don't know that they made use of it. I kind of doubt it... I think they just sized it to match total usage.

Oh well, as JPM indicates, the utilities are going to change the pricing in the future anyway. In fact PG&E just shifted the pricing of their tiers to charge the lower tiers MORE and the higher tiers LESS -- which makes NO sense from the standpoint of promoting efficiency -- but the PUC let 'em do it anyway... Bah.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2013

Excellent! But I wonder whether my installer took this into account when they estimated the size of my system. I sent them a spreadsheet with a year of usage data broken down by the hour, but I don't know that they made use of it. I kind of doubt it... I think they just sized it to match total usage. Oh well, as JPM indicates, the utilities are going to change the pricing in the future anyway. In fact PG&E just shifted the pricing of their tiers to charge the lower tiers MORE and the higher tiers LESS -- which makes NO sense from the standpoint of promoting efficiency -- but the PUC let 'em do it anyway... Bah.
                On what the installer did, hard to say, but my money's on the installer doing what will help justify, correctly or not, whatever will help sell the largest array possible............................... The pricing shifts you note are the result of AB 327 legislation and its mandated results passed about 18 or so months ago............................ For readers of this thread who have not yet purchased: Note that being informed about how much electricity you use, how you pay for it, and what options you have that can be the most cost effective ways to reduce an electric bill can pay big dividends.......................................

Comment

• mikenmar
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                  On what the installer did, hard to say, but my money's on the installer doing what will help justify, correctly or not, whatever will help sell the largest array possible...............................
                  I have to say that's not true, actually. They originally wanted to sell me only 13 panels, and I pushed for 14 because I was thinking I ought to cover more of my total usage. At the time, I wasn't thinking about how the TOU pricing would work out.

However, my primary motivation is to reduce my grid consumption for environmental purposes. The amount of money we're talking about is comparatively unimportant to me.

Comment

• mikenmar
                    • May 2015

For readers of this thread who have not yet purchased: Note that being informed about how much electricity you use, how you pay for it, and what options you have that can be the most cost effective ways to reduce an electric bill can pay big dividends.......................................
                    I will add this: Echoing what another poster said above, PG&E makes it so confusing that it would be nearly impossible for the average consumer to figure this stuff out on their own. I don't know if that is the intention, but it certainly is the effect.

I have multiple advance degrees in technical fields, as well as a law degree. It took me several hours to parse PG&E's TOU and net metering documents, and I'm still not sure I understand completely.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

I will add this: Echoing what another poster said above, PG&E makes it so confusing that it would be nearly impossible for the average consumer to figure this stuff out on their own. I don't know if that is the intention, but it certainly is the effect. I have multiple advance degrees in technical fields, as well as a law degree. It took me several hours to parse PG&E's TOU and net metering documents, and I'm still not sure I understand completely.
                      On the confusion: Agreed. It's a real PITA, but it can be and has been done by several folks, including posters to this forum, usually for their own POCO's, but sometimes for other POCOs as well............................... While somewhat understanding why a POCO may see no benefit to providing assistance or a clear path to help users make sense of any rate tariff, I believe I understand the frustration and confusion of users trying to make intelligent choices. I'd only offer that it is possible. Whether it's cost effective to figure out rate tariffs and decide which is the most cost effective in any particular situation is a separate subject and something of a matter of opinion................... I've often thought that something like an aftermarket may exist for software to help users make sense of the various messes.

Comment

• truav8r
                        • Jul 2015

I'd not be surprised at efforts to delink what a generator on T.O.U. pays for power from what that generator gets as revenue from the POCO for power generated during similar time periods. Watch for it.
                        Unfortunately, that's exactly what National Grid in Upstate NY does. During off-peak times of the day/year, solar power generation is credited at the off-peak rate, as you would expect. But during peak times of the day, National Grid predetermines how much solar generation will be credited toward peak/shoulder peak/off-peak rates. Surprise surprise! Whodathunk the POCO would stack the deck in their favor
                        9.38kW SP tinyurl.com/ReidySunnyPortal

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by truav8r
                          Unfortunately, that's exactly what National Grid in Upstate NY does. During off-peak times of the day/year, solar power generation is credited at the off-peak rate, as you would expect. But during peak times of the day, National Grid predetermines how much solar generation will be credited toward peak/shoulder peak/off-peak rates. Surprise surprise! Whodathunk the POCO would stack the deck in their favor
                          It's just business. I'd not want to run an enterprise where I had to pay the same price I sold my product for. While not a big fan of POCOs, I try to remember they are in business to make money. Their behavior is not a surprise to me. It's Capitalism.

Comment

Working...