X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sohail
    • Mar 2013

Need Installer recommendations for Bay Area (San Jose, CA) Plus some questions

Hi,

After reading the forums, I am reaching the following conclusions and would like recommendation for an Installer/Distributor. I live in San Jose, CA. Some conclusions:
    * Would like to go with professional installation to minimize hassle, hickups and professional handholding to deal with PG&E.
    * Thinking of SunPower panels (E20 or E21) - High efficiency, 25-year warranty, etc
    * Roof mount, etc
    * Thinking of Micro-Inverters - So I can scale incrementally
    * Initial install 5KWH - 7KWH system
    * No batteries, etc - Use PG&E for surplus
    * Open to either Purchase-upfront (likely) or Lease

A few questions:
    * What local (Bay Area) Installer/distributor would you recommend for best cost and quality of work ?
    * What is the Gross or Net $$$ per Watt I should expect with SunPower and Bay Area Installers ?
    * What Inverters/Micro-Inverters would you recommend ?
    * Is Purchase-upfront always the best choice ?
    * How long typically before the Installer schedules an Install ?
    * How long is the whole process ?

Thanks a million!
  • Naptown
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2011

The e20 and e21( what will be called the x panel)s are not compatable with microinverters.
    You would need to go down to a 240 AC panel if you want Sunpower.
    NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• sohail
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Naptown
      The e20 and e21( what will be called the x panel)s are not compatable with microinverters.
      You would need to go down to a 240 AC panel if you want Sunpower.
      Understood Thanks. Any other comments Anyone ?

Comment

• raydias
        • Mar 2011

I can't remember the Magazine (might have been Photon) but there is a non profit group in Santa Clara county called SunWork that might interest you.
        SunWork Renewable Energy Projects is a nonprofit solar installer. We make small solar affordable for customers with low electric bills with help from volunteers
        --Ray
        8xSV-X-195-LV - 22.80 Voc - 18.30 Vmp - 10.66 Imp - 11.55 Isc
        2xUL Solar 85w - 21.9 Voc - 17.9 Vmp - 4.84 Imp - 5.17 Isc
        1xUL Solar 120w - 21.9 Voc - 18.1 Vmp - 6.6 Imp - 6.8 Isc
        7xHF 15w - 23.57 Voc - 17.5 Vmp - 0.86 Imp - 1.15 Isc
        MorningStar MPPT 60 Charge Controller
        Midnite Classic 150 Charge Controller
        700ah used Gel batteries
        Xantrex PROWatts 600 PSW Inverter
        HF 1000/2000 MSW Watt Inverter

Comment

• Hyacinth
          • May 2013

Would also like some info on recommended installers in the South Bay that others have used.

Comment

• cyph
            • Apr 2013

The non profit will only install small systems that cover tier 3-5. They will not zero out your bill. Sohail check your PM for info on my installer.

Comment

• rx100
              • Jun 2013

Originally posted by cyph
              The non profit will only install small systems that cover tier 3-5. They will not zero out your bill. Sohail check your PM for info on my installer.
              Sohail, Did you decide n one? Could you please share what you've gathered sofar?

I'm in the market looking out for a 5KW system. So far I've received quote from Sunwork

REC 255W panel + Sunnyboy 5000 for 9.5K after tax credit and 10.5 for Enphase.

Comment

Working...