Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RockOn
    • Aug 2023

Hybrid grid/solar system for home

Thanks in advance folks for any comments.
    Learning solar for both my house and my boat.

Hybrid grid and solar for my house BUT NOT tied to grid...

Goal is to actively learn and in doing so cut a little off my electricity bill so here are the guidelines:
    - 240v circuits will stay on grid power off the 200amp main panel
    - 120v circuits will all be able to be on grid or solar through (2) 10 circuit transfer switches

Will try to run all non-240v circuits with my solar panels and batteries to see how much load I do end up with and if needed keep some on grid unless power outage.
    Will obvious not be using any window air conditioners or the like either.

Attached is diagram but here is some info:
    - (16) 325 watt panels in 2 (8) panel arrays - so each string is 368v, 2600 watts, 10.9 amps
    - (2) 10 circuit Reliance Transfer Switches for the 120v circuits (15 and 20 amp)
    - (2) 3000watt 48v or 24v Hybrid MPPT controller/inverters
    - (4) 48v 100ah LiFePo batteries or (4) 24V 200 batteries (20,480 watts)

I know panel array size not matching Inverter is breaking one rule if thumb, but would think based on battery bank size that this will be ok as both MPPT will feed a single bank.
    I plan to use neutral/grounding scheme on page 2 as I may not run AC IN to the MPPTs and just leave them stand alone just connected to charge from solar.

Attached Files
  • RockOn
    • Aug 2023

Bumping... Thx

Comment

• lockem
      • Mar 2024

IMO, neutral should stay paired with (physically close to) the feed wires. The purpose of doing that is to avoid creating magnetic fields that can heat up metal near the wires when there are unbalanced loads (e.g. 120VAC anything). It is not obvious how to achieve that with the 2 pole Reliance Pro switch getting power from two different circuits; you need a 3 pole switch so that you can switch neutral together with the power. An alternative would be to run the two wires that go directly to the Reliance Pro through the inverter charger so that they are paired with the neutral for the inverter charger, but then you need enough room for those wires to snake through. Yet another alternative would be to run only 120VAC through each reliance pro, using one contact for hot and the other for neutral.

In my current main panel I have a heat pump connected to a 40A circuit breaker. Although average current is only 25A, the compressor draws a whopping 180A starting current, and yet the breaker does not trip. The lights blink...

Having 6000W worth of inverter attached to your 5200W solar array can be useful depending on the power factor and the VA versus W rating of the inverter and the efficiency of the inverter.
      Last edited by lockem; 03-12-2024, 04:54 AM.

Comment

Working...