Have DTE + 2019 BOLT + SolarEdge solar panels what is best backup to support blackout

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kraftwerk
    • Jul 2023

Have DTE + 2019 BOLT + SolarEdge solar panels what is best backup to support blackout

I Have Michigan DTE as my electric+gas provider
    I have a 2019 BOLT
    I have SolarEdge solar panels 4kW solar photovoltaic Roof mounted array (which may be expanded to accommodate charging of Bolt)

what is the best backup to support during a blackout?

Tesla powerwalls? How many?
    can I use my bolt to charge the battery backup or the TESLA powerwall?

does anyone have a recommended setup or company?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.
  • Mike 134
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2022

Do you have many blackouts and critical loads that would justify the HUGE expense of batteries?
    If not a generator preferably propane so there is little maintenance.

Comment

• McRat
      • Aug 2017

AFAIK The Ford Lightning is the only EV that is sold preconfigured as a whole house backup system.
      The KIA/Hyundai's, are to a lessor degree.

IIRC, the Bolt doesn't even have an actual Camp Mode with significant 120v power like the Rivian.

Read this thread to start. https://www.chevybolt.org/threads/ca...22/post-218850

But Mike is right, low cost whole house generators are the way to go. If you hook up the automatic transfer switch, the solar can augment the power and reduce fuel use.

Comment

• kraftwerk
        • Jul 2023

thanks Mike and McRat your posts are very helpful ))))))))))))))))))))))))

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by McRat
          ......... If you hook up the automatic transfer switch, the solar can augment the power and reduce fuel use.
          GT solar will stop working when the grid is down. I do not know of any generators that can be configured to fool the GT inverter so that it will produce energy when the grid is down. The concept is called AC coupling and it uses a hybrid inverter to satisfying the GT inverters tests in such a way that the GT inverter will fire up and modulate itself according to the loads which the hybrid inverter sees. The process is complicated and requires a certain capacity of batteries to act like the grid and buffer the GT output as the loads vary.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

As others have written, and a no brainer for a lot of reasons, get an ICE powered generator, preferably propane fueled, and if for emergencies only, size it for emergency loads, no A/C or other non-essential loads.
            Better, cheaper faster and besides being more reliable and serviceable, a lot less hassle than batteries.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Some time in the previous century, I came to the same conclusion as
              the others above. I spent $400 on an electric start, gasoline fueled
              gen set. Maintenance and ongoing costs are essentially zero, it has
              only been used 4 times to take care of the fridge, furnace, and sump
              pump. It always works, batteries and solar do not. Bruce Roe

Comment

• McRat
                • Aug 2017

Originally posted by Ampster
                GT solar will stop working when the grid is down. I do not know of any generators that can be configured to fool the GT inverter so that it will produce energy when the grid is down. The concept is called AC coupling and it uses a hybrid inverter to satisfying the GT inverters tests in such a way that the GT inverter will fire up and modulate itself according to the loads which the hybrid inverter sees. The process is complicated and requires a certain capacity of batteries to act like the grid and buffer the GT output as the loads vary.
                Good point. I have never tried it. I know my solar will shut down on a Voltage Too High and Anti-Islanding if the grid power is too flaky. Then it will restart, then spend 3 minutes analyzing the AC power grid before kicking on, rinse repeat indefinitely.

So for the original poster, kraftwerk, the solar might not augment the generator output.

Comment

• solardreamer
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

Originally posted by McRat

So for the original poster, kraftwerk, the solar might not augment the generator output.
                  Worse than that. Depending on the excess solar power going to the generator, it can damage the generator.

Comment

• azdave
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by bcroe
                    Some time in the previous century, I came to the same conclusion as
                    the others above. I spent $400 on an electric start, gasoline fueled
                    gen set. Maintenance and ongoing costs are essentially zero, it has
                    only been used 4 times to take care of the fridge, furnace, and sump
                    pump. It always works, batteries and solar do not. Bruce Roe
                    That generator is probably holding its value nicely too. Not so for used batteries and supporting equipment.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...