Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to produce more power than the panels are rated at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are your inverters multi string type? Have you exceeded the current input for a single string?
    2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Hi littleharbor2,

Yes, both inverters are multistring (2 MPPT)
      MPP working voltage range (UMPPworkmin - UMPPworkmax 75-600 V
      Max. working voltage (UDCworkmax) 750 V
      Max. input current (IDCmax) per DC input 13 A
      Number of DC inputs 2
      Max. output current (IACmax) 22 A
      Max. efficiency 97.4 %
      Running on a single phase european 230 AC V

And I must stress the fact that both inverters (plus a new one I also tested), that have been working perfectly for two years, with no change to any of their four strings

Comment

Originally posted by Spanish Flyer View Post
        Hi littleharbor2,

Yes, both inverters are multistring (2 MPPT)
        MPP working voltage range (UMPPworkmin - UMPPworkmax 75-600 V
        Max. working voltage (UDCworkmax) 750 V
        Max. input current (IDCmax) per DC input 13 A
        Number of DC inputs 2
        Max. output current (IACmax) 22 A
        Max. efficiency 97.4 %
        Running on a single phase european 230 AC V

And I must stress the fact that both inverters (plus a new one I also tested), that have been working perfectly for two years, with no change to any of their four strings
        Well, that's a mystery. Have you taken the ISC rating of the panels and totaled the full expected current for each string? Maybe you can reconfigure your panel wiring to lighten up the current on that one problem input.
        2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

Originally posted by Gead View Post
          Once again
          Thanks for all your answers. What you have said I have been able to observe on certain days when there was cloud cover then hazy cloud then thicker cloud then clear skies. The production bumps up from 600w To 2900w very quickly then back down again before becoming stable.
          I had an issue with the output circuit breaker on the inverter today, the switch was in the off position when I came in to check on the output. I opened the cover and put it back to the 'on position' and everything functions normally again. I have no idea why this happened , could it be that we were drawing too much power ? Several appliances were on , washing machine, dish washer, fridge . But this has been the case on other days at the same time(between 11: 30AM and 3PM ) with no consequence. Today is one of the days I described above, cloudy to hazy to clear sky and back again! so I' m thinking that the sudden variations may have something to do with it. I sent an SMS to the technician who just told me to do what I had already done, flip the with back on, Any user experience would be welcome to help understand the cause.
          Cheers
          Gead
          Definitely Cloud edge effect is you candidate for short spikes of production above the nominal rating.

My panels are 320W Silfab.(max power 32.88V x 9.74A, ISC 10.32A) they are installed full south at 20degree pitch in north California.

In the best spring summer days they will reach 300 watts (10A x 30 Volts).
          But during cloud edge effect (bright sunny days with passing clouds when the sun crosses the edge of the cloud), I have seen these panel reach 340Watts (30 V x 11.33A) or 110% of ISC
          Last edited by scrambler; 05-21-2023, 12:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X