Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC Generator?

Any recommendations on a DC Generator?

I'm installing solar with batteries. There is a battery program in my state where they pay for themselves in about 10 years. Having the batteries will allow me to downsize the generator.

Other than Generac's PWRGenerator, I couldn't find any DC generators for the home. Any ideas?

Kohler also makes one: https://kohlerpower.com/en/residenti...s/product/6vsg

Comment

Originally posted by richmke View Post
      I'm installing solar with batteries. There is a battery program in my state where they pay for themselves in about 10 years. Having the batteries will allow me to downsize the generator.
      It should be noted that any hybrid-inverter solar system will be able to accept an AC input for charging the battery. Some inverters have two inputs, one generator and one grid; others have one that you use a transfer switch with.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
        It should be noted that any hybrid-inverter solar system will be able to accept an AC input for charging the battery. Some inverters have two inputs, one generator and one grid; others have one that you use a transfer switch with.
        To clarify I believe most quality hybrid inverters have an internal transfer switch which is used to keep from back feeding the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by extrafu View Post
          Thanks. I was looking for that. I found a older Kohler, but it was discontinued.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            To clarify I believe most quality hybrid inverters have an internal transfer switch which is used to keep from back feeding the grid.
            Agreed. With a "standard" hybrid inverter (one grid input) you need a second transfer switch if you also want to use a generator. For inverters with two inputs (like the old SW series or the Sol-Ark) then you don't; those inverters have a second internal transfer switch so the switchover between grid and generator happens automatically.

Comment

Working...
            X