Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sol-Ark Owners what's your Web data update time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sol-Ark Owners what's your Web data update time?

Just got my Sol-Ark 12K system somewhat up and running but still have some hardware issues and settings issues to work out. This is my first time playing with Powerview and I am already a bit frustrated at how long it takes to update the data on my Browser or the App. Currently it seems to be anywhere from 5-10 minutes! I had expected 5 Minutes but 10 is kind of crazy, I am wondering if it just misses an update during certain times?

The last thing that is a bit frustrating is that neither the Web page or the App seem to Auto refresh the screen even when new data comes in. I have to manually refresh it. I was hoping to have a tablet mounted in the kitchen that would constantly display the status. I can do work around with third party tools for Auto refreshing the webpage, I just find it odd that it does not do that on it's own!

Also noticed that it draws 20W from the battery even when the battery is not in use! This is a Grid tied system so I did not expect a draw from the battery.
    I got the battery up from 25% to 50% before the PV power dropped off, so I have not set any "time of use" yet. PV Power was flipped on at 4:30 PM and I was very happy that on a completely over cast day I was getting 3KW from the 10.2 KW array. Can't wait to see what she will do tomorrow, although we are expecting bad weather so it might be two days from now that I get a day of clear skies and can see the full output at peak times.

No Sol-Ark owners left on the Forum?

Comment

Originally posted by robbyg View Post
      No Sol-Ark owners left on the Forum?
      Not that I know. There are several good discussions over at Will Prowse's forum.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

Not that I know. There are several good discussions over at Will Prowse's forum.
        Seems like everything is happening over there. Only a pity that they don't cater to big systems but mostly 12V stuff.

Comment

Big systems? There are some 64 cell 48 volt systems over there. Thats over 50 kWhs.

If you are looking for insight into Pb this is the place to be. That being said, I recently got some good technical advice on this forum regarding a GT system and the NEC rules regarding backfeed. It helped me navigate the decision variables with my electrician.

Comment

Big systems? There are some 64 cell 48 volt systems over there. Thats over 50 kWhs.

Yes sure there is some but even Will admits that he is really into low end budget type DIY systems. 99% of the posts and videos involve the finding the lowest priced panels, Inverters and batteries that still work ok. Lots of good info on that site and lots of posts but not many that cater to expensive gear or expensive 48V battery setups.
            Last edited by robbyg; 08-26-2021, 01:43 PM.

Comment

Yes sure there is some but even Will admits that he is really into low end budget type DIY systems. 99% of the posts and videos involve the finding the lowest priced panels, Inverters and batteries that still work ok. Lots of good info on that site and lots of posts but not many that cater to expensive gear or expensive 48V battery setups.
              I don't pay attention to 99% of the posts on most forums. My interest is Grid tied Hybrid inverters with LFP batteries. That is a narrow niche but between three or four forums I find enough knowledge for my needs.
              Did you try your question over there? I know at least three Sol Ark users that are fairly active there. So far this has been a two person dialogue and I am a Skybox user so I can't help.
              Last edited by Ampster; 08-27-2021, 12:01 AM.

Comment

I don't pay attention to 99% of the posts on most forums. My interest is Grid tied Hybrid inverters with LFP batteries. That is a narrow niche but between three or four forums I find enough knowledge for my needs.
                Did you try your question over there? I know at least three Sol Ark users that are fairly active there. So far this has been a two person dialogue and I am a Skybox user so I can't help.
                Thanks for the help, It's a pity this place is not more active. I guess most people who buy high end equipment really don't feel a need to get on a forum once their system is setup and running properly. The DIY stuff is always a constant tinkering project, so it really does generate a lot more interest on the forums.

Comment

Thanks for the help, It's a pity this place is not more active. I guess most people who buy high end equipment really don't feel a need to get on a forum once their system is setup and running.....
                  This forum exists as a lead generating device for the forum owner. We are merely content providers.

That being said, I did get some very useful input from this forum as I was navigating the PGE labyrinth regarding a main service panel upgrade. My electrician is not well versed on the intricacies of the calculation of backfeeding a service panel. Based on input received here I concluded to increase my main panel panel to provide flexibility for Phase Two which will include a 6kW hybrid inverter and 42kWh of batteries to support prioritizing the system for self consumption while grid tied. Plus that will give me some resiliency to get through the frequent power outages we experience in this location.
                  Last edited by Ampster; 08-31-2021, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Just got my Sol-Ark 12K system somewhat up and running but still have some hardware issues and settings issues to work out. This is my first time playing with Powerview and I am already a bit frustrated at how long it takes to update the data on my Browser or the App. Currently it seems to be anywhere from 5-10 minutes! I had expected 5 Minutes but 10 is kind of crazy, I am wondering if it just misses an update during certain times?

The last thing that is a bit frustrating is that neither the Web page or the App seem to Auto refresh the screen even when new data comes in. I have to manually refresh it. I was hoping to have a tablet mounted in the kitchen that would constantly display the status. I can do work around with third party tools for Auto refreshing the webpage, I just find it odd that it does not do that on it's own!

Also noticed that it draws 20W from the battery even when the battery is not in use! This is a Grid tied system so I did not expect a draw from the battery.
                    I got the battery up from 25% to 50% before the PV power dropped off, so I have not set any "time of use" yet. PV Power was flipped on at 4:30 PM and I was very happy that on a completely over cast day I was getting 3KW from the 10.2 KW array. Can't wait to see what she will do tomorrow, although we are expecting bad weather so it might be two days from now that I get a day of clear skies and can see the full output at peak times.
                    Not a Solark but a Deye owner and see the same issue with the app.
                    Purchased software and Ri from SolarAssistant and working like a dream update in real time.

Comment

Originally posted by wanabee solar View Post

Not a Solark but a Deye owner and see the same issue with the app.
                      Purchased software and Ri from SolarAssistant and working like a dream update in real time.
                      Thanks, I wish that software worked with the Sol-Ark. I know it says Sol-Ark compatible on his website but when I emailed him he did not seem so certain, he said try it for free and let me know!
                      I really do not want to risk a $7K inverter beta testing software. And yes there are differences in the Deye firmware and the Sol-Arks.

Comment

I do not share your concern about data gathering software messing with the critical firmware of an inverter. I would be more concerned with CANBUS communication between a BMS and an inverter but as far as I know that has not been enabled.

Comment

I do not share your concern about data gathering software messing with the critical firmware of an inverter. I would be more concerned with CANBUS communication between a BMS and an inverter but as far as I know that has not been enabled.
                          It was implemented about 6 months ago. I use Fortress eFlex batteries and it is basically plug and play. The only thing I am missing at this point is remote real time monitoring, although admittedly I will probably not be so concerned with all of data watching 3 months from now when the newness has worn off.

Some info: https://www.sol-ark.com/battery-partners/

Comment

It was implemented about 6 months ago. I use Fortress eFlex batteries and it is basically plug and play. .......
                            What was implemented 6 months ago? CANBUS communication? All I see is some SolArk settings described in some Fortress literature. Plug and Play and Work Withs are marketing terms that have variable meanings depending on who you talk to. Essentially one could plug in any 48 volt battery and it would work with any inverter if you had the right settings on the inverter.
                            Last edited by Ampster; 09-09-2021, 05:03 PM.

Comment

What was implemented 6 months ago? CANBUS communication? All I see is some SolArk settings described in some Fortress literature. Plug and Play and Work Withs are marketing terms that have variable meanings depending on who you talk to. Essentially one could plug in any 48 volt battery and it would work with any inverter if you had the right settings on the inverter.
                              Yes closed loop Canbus communication. You daisy chain the data cables to each of your batteries and then plug it into the Sol-Ark and select Lithium BMS mode in the settings and it will go into closed loop mode with the battery pack. All of the battery info in the inverter is change by the BMS itself. Voltages and charge currents plus system capacity and discharge max etc. I show a max capacity of 315 Amps and if I unplug one of the batteries data cables it drops to 210 Amps capacity and Max discharge drops. Keep in mind I am just getting familiar with the system but there are several Sol-Ark videos on the topic.

As far as I know all the Battery companies in that Link I gave you work in closed loop communication with the Sol-Ark.

Here is Fortress video on the subject.
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miBhLeDRpc4
                              Last edited by robbyg; 09-10-2021, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X