Solar system without internet connection?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derekn
    • May 2021

Solar system without internet connection?

I'm looking into getting a solar system for our house. We live in northern California, and with the PG&E power shutoffs there's a good chance we could lose grid power for a couple days, so definitely want battery backup.
    Question: Is it possible to get this kind of system WITHOUT any sort of internet connection. Given the current state of software security, I'd really prefer not to have critical things (like household power) connected to the internet.
    I've talked to one installer so far, and he likes Enphase equipment. But a quick look at their web site suggests that it requires(?) an internet connection.
    Are there any decent options that don't require internet? Will the Enphase system work ok if it's not connected?

• PugPower
    Solar Fanatic
    • Oct 2019

SolarEdge inverters come standard with cellular connections for monitoring. Solar systems do not require internet connections to function. The internet connection is just so you can monitor the system.

Comment

• robbyg
      • Apr 2021

Originally posted by PugPower
      SolarEdge inverters come standard with cellular connections for monitoring. Solar systems do not require internet connections to function. The internet connection is just so you can monitor the system.
      Except for Tesla

Sol-Ark Inverters don't require internet access and even have an option for owners to purchase a Dongle with firmware updates. Since everything you need is on the Sol-Ark display the only thing your missing out is power usage data graphing etc.
      Last edited by robbyg; 05-11-2021, 01:14 AM.

Comment

Working...