Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do they make a 120VAC charger to charge Li-ion 48 battery packs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do they make a 120VAC charger to charge Li-ion 48 battery packs?

I am putting the finishing touches on my PV system which will revolve around a Sol-Ark 12K and two Fortress Eflex 5.4Kw battery packs.
    Since I have two Honda EU3000si generators I am thinking that one of them could be used in an emergency to maintain charge on the Eflex batteries if the PV is out after a hurricane. I would definitely be taking down the panels if anything over a CAT 2 storm is approaching.

Since the Eflex has a built in BMS for the Li-Iron batteries I figure that a fairly simple charger would work but I don't see anything available. I don't want to push the generator past 2000Watts on the AC line. Any ideas of what I should or could buy?

Thanks
    Last edited by robbyg; 05-01-2021, 12:58 AM.

Doesn't your SolArk have a generator input? I think it even has a generator start capability..
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

I agree the first option should bevthe SolArk. The next could be just a Meanwell power supply that can provide constant current to your absorb (contant voltage) setting. There are various voltages available with 10% adjustment via set screw. Also be sure and read spec carefully and get one with self limiting current. Otherwise it will go into hiccup mode if no current limit. You should be able to find one of those for under $100. A current rating of 20-30 Amps DC should be sweet spot for your 2kW generator.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
        Doesn't your SolArk have a generator input? I think it even has a generator start capability..
        Sol-ark will not work with 120V generators. I think I am going to have to use the 220V from the Grid and power the Sol-Ark with it so that it can charge the batteries up until the installation is ready to start. I am changing the roof on the house at the same time so I do not have PV installed yet.

I still need a solution that can work from the 115V generator to charge the batteries after a hurricane while the PV panels are off the roof.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
          I agree the first option should bevthe SolArk. The next could be just a Meanwell power supply that can provide constant current to your absorb (contant voltage) setting. There are various voltages available with 10% adjustment via set screw. Also be sure and read spec carefully and get one with self limiting current. Otherwise it will go into hiccup mode if no current limit. You should be able to find one of those for under $100. A current rating of 20-30 Amps DC should be sweet spot for your 2kW generator.
          Thanks, do you have a model number for a Meanwell that can do all of that?

Comment

Originally posted by robbyg View Post

Thanks, do you have a model number for a Meanwell that can do all of that?
            It depends on what voltage and current you want to charge to. The Fortress batteries can give you the voltage spec. When you figure that out just Google "48 volt Meanwell" or "48 volt power supply". 48 volt is a generic term and actual models can range from 45 volts to 58 volts.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

It depends on what voltage and current you want to charge to. The Fortress batteries can give you the voltage spec. When you figure that out just Google "48 volt Meanwell" or "48 volt power supply". 48 volt is a generic term and actual models can range from 45 volts to 58 volts.
              OK I found the supply that should do the perfect job with the Honda EU3000Si generator. Its the Meanwell RPB-1600-48.
              It has adjustable output voltage from 47-5 to 58.8Vdc and an output amperage of 27.5 amps or roughly 1500 Watts.
              It should charge my 10.8Kw Lithium pack within 6 hours. That is enough nighttime power for my needs after a storm or Hurricane.

Only down side is the price! They are about $400 new but luckily I just bought a used one on Ebay for $230.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X