30kw DIY battery for $310/kwh, which hybrid inverter is recommended?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampster
    replied
    $310 per kWh is not the best cost nor is it the worst cost. My 42kWh pack cost less than $125 per kWh delivered.
    Almost Any UL approved hybrid inverter would be good but the choice should be based on the use case. More details about that would be needed to know which features would optimize the use case. Some names I am familiar with are Outback Skybox, SolArk, Schneider and SMA. Some are better at AC coupling, some are better at optimizing TOU rates, some can be paralleled. Most can provide 240 volt split phase. Typically a hybrid is an inverter that combines some features of a GT inverter and an off grid inverter. There is no industry standard definition and the features and capability will vary between brands and models.

Usually the inverter capacity is determined by the loads not by the kWh capacity of the battery. Even the smallest of the above inverters could be connected to a 30 kWh battery.
    Last edited by Ampster; 03-23-2021, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oregon_phil
    replied
    The old school SMA Sunny Island is for low voltage batteries. The SMA sunnyboy storage is for high voltage batteries, but the batteries must be on an approved battery list.. The new SMA high voltage battery solution is 240VAC output. You need two sunny islands (or Sunnyboy Storage) to make 240VAC or use a transformer.

I have no experience with hybrid inverters to comment. I did research them in the past, but did not pursue it.
    Last edited by oregon_phil; 04-02-2021, 12:07 PM. Reason: New SMA high voltage battery inverter is 240VAC out not 120vac that I originally posted.

Leave a comment:

• 30kw DIY battery for $310/kwh, which hybrid inverter is recommended?

This seemed like a very good cost for such a big system about $9500 for a 30kw battery. Lifepo4 so less chance of fire and also takes around an hour to setup and can be shipped ups in several boxes. What would be two 2 or 3 hybrid inverter to use with this system?
    I know of old school sunnyboy "big yellow" ones, but dont' think they can handle that capacity?
    and sma has this newer one but also seems like you would need more than one for this big of a battery.
    SMA SunnyBoy Storage SBS6.0-US-10 Hybrid Inverter 6kW, -25 to +60°C - Solerus Energy
Working...