Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Climates and FLAs

Hello;
    I have a question regarding FLA battery life in cold climates. I understand batteries can last much longer in the cold. Since the batteries capacity goes down in the cold and battery life is a function of depth of discharge is this a double edged sword? If capacity is halfed from cold is a 10% depth of discharge when at normal temperature now 20% or is it the same amount of sulfation regardless?
    Thank You

I would say the battery manufacturer should be able to provide discharge % rate information based on ambient temperature. Along with that data they should also provide cycle rates based on % discharge

Comment

the link here
      http://support.rollsbattery.com/supp...acid-batteries
      covers the loss of capacity when cold. This would be pretty much the same for AGM or flooded batteries
      FLA capacity cold battery.jpg
      Attached Files
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you for the replies. It would seem that cold could only effect battery life adversely. Less capacity equals deeper discharge. Yet there are repeated references to much longer battery life in cold climates??? Is this only for stored with float charge batteries?

"And we had folks in Canada that could get 12+ years from their battery banks that cold soak unused in winter (stored fully charged, perhaps with a small "floating solar array") where we would expect 5-7 year life in the lower 48 states."

Comment

This is a guess of why batteries last longer based off what I’ve seen with other chemical reactions.

I think batteries in the cold “last longer” because thE output less volts. My understanding is the cold slows down the chemical reaction.

If you have a load that will run on whatever the battery puts out, it’ll last longer. An old fashioned light bulb will do this, but it won’t glow as bright during that time. A lot of loads will draw a constant watt so you’ll get more amps to make up for the less volts, so there will not be as much of a difference there.

I am unwilling to use my $250 battery to test this, but I’ve seen this in other-than-battery chemical reactions, mainly glow sticks. Put them in the freezer to last longer, but the glow dims to next to nothing while they’re cold. Take them out, they warm up and glow brighter and die quicker. I’ve extended the life of a 2 hour glow stick to 24 hours doing this, but while in the freezer put out almost no light.
          Last edited by chrisski; 01-09-2021, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X