Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reviews/thoughts on Generac PWRCell for UPS with hybrid solar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

A larger generator may have to do with it's ability to provide the correct frequency and charging amps that the battery likes.
    Inverter generators can easily meet the 60+/-2Hz frequency stability requirement. If charging amps is a real reason then I suspect the battery system charger design is likely not very good (e.g. no PFC or soft start, etc.)

Comment

In response to the original post:
      I have a Generac system with 17.1 kW storage and I've been very happy with it. Originally I only wanted the batteries for standby / backup, but added solar for the tax credit. Depending on sunshine and ambient conditions, which are highly variable to say the least, I think I could stretch it for anywhere from 4-20 days.

Since the inverter and battery cabinet are standalone units, I think you could install the inverter and battery cabinet independently from your existing setup and use it as standby / backup only. Not sure how you would wire it though. There is a software setting to charge from the grid. I use that sometimes when a storm system moves in so that it's fully charged in case of an outage.

Comment

Originally posted by PVAndy View Post

Yes, currently only generators over 14kW that meet other criteria.

Andy
        Thanks for the information Andy. I have a Generac system with a full battery cabinet. Works great. But like everyone else, I would like a way to charge it with a generator.

I have a 15kW portable Generac generator, and not long after the system was installed I added a feed circuit for it, and flipped the grid disconnect. The batteries took over, and never even had to reset the clocks. Heck, the internet stayed up too which was a real surprise. So anyway I fired up the generator and flipped the breaker for the generator feed circuit and then the breaker on the generator. Did it work? Well if it had, I wouldn't still be looking for a solution. The grid icon was X'd out.

Months pass and I read your post about firmware update, and requested it yesterday. Woke up today to an email from Generac saying it was complete. Sure enough I had to reset all the Inverter Mods.

Tried the generator again today, and the grid icon is normal and it shows power being fed from the grid (In this case the generator) to the house. Inverter display shows Waiting … AC Power 0 Watts, AC Voltage 253V. Set the main panel to Priority Backup. Wait for the 5 minute delay, but get no charging, and inverter shows same Waiting … status

Would appreciate any help you can offer, and I'm sure others would be interested as well.
        Thanks,
        Gary
        Last edited by DIYKindaGuy; 06-09-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DIYKindaGuy View Post

Thanks for the information Andy. I have a Generac system with a full battery cabinet. Works great. But like everyone else, I would like a way to charge it with a generator.

I have a 15kW portable Generac generator, and not long after the system was installed I added a feed circuit for it, and flipped the grid disconnect. The batteries took over, and never even had to reset the clocks. Heck, the internet stayed up too which was a real surprise. So anyway I fired up the generator and flipped the breaker for the generator feed circuit and then the breaker on the generator. Did it work? Well if it had, I wouldn't still be looking for a solution. The grid icon was X'd out.

Months pass and I read your post about firmware update, and requested it yesterday. Woke up today to an email from Generac saying it was complete. Sure enough I had to reset all the Inverter Mods.

Tried the generator again today, and the grid icon is normal and it shows power being fed from the grid (In this case the generator) to the house. Inverter display shows Waiting … AC Power 0 Watts, AC Voltage 253V. Set the main panel to Priority Backup. Wait for the 5 minute delay, but get no charging, and inverter shows same Waiting … status

Would appreciate any help you can offer, and I'm sure others would be interested as well.
          Thanks,
          Gary
          Sorry I can't be of help yet. I only know of Generator support from the product manager in the working group. We haven't integrated a generator yet. I'll reach out out to Generac and see if I can get any more information.

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by DIYKindaGuy View Post

Thanks,
            Gary

Not sure if it's your issue but few non-inverter portable generators can meet the frequency stability (+/- 2Hz) requirement mentioned earlier in the thread.

Comment

Working...
            X