X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SonoranDesert
    • Jul 2020

Options for powering well pump and pressure pump

Hello,
    I live on property in the Arizona desert. We have two wells on the property that feed a storage tank. The water for
    the storage tank is drawn out using a pressure pump and is pushed into bladder/pressure tanks which supplies the water to our house. I am wondering what are my best options for backup power for these pump/motor assemblies.

During a power outage we have no water pressure and are not able to pump water from the wells. So in the event of a short term outage I would like to be able to power the pressure pump. In the event of a long term outage (some kind of apocalyptic scenario or power rationing) I would like to be able to pump water out of the wells.

-Pressure pump is 2hp 1ph 230V Max load amps 13.3

-Well pump 1 I need to check with the installer for it’s exact specs but it has two 120V lines run through 30A breakers. The lines run through a contactor and then a pump saver then down to the motor. If I use an ammeter on either of the lines running down to the motor it reads ~36A at startup then 12A while it is pumping.

-Well pump 2 has two 120V lines connected to 30A breakers. When I put the ammeter on it I didn’t see a spike in amps at startup but maybe I need to try again. It is three wire and the yellow wire had about 10A on it. I guess it makes sense because here is the info from the manufacturer...
    3wire 1ph 2hp 230V 1.5kW Service factor 1.25
    Full load amps = Yel 10A Blk 9.3A Red 2.6A
    Max load amps = 13.2A Blk 11.9A Red 2.6A
    Max load Watts = 2555
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

Both those pumps are 230V, and will need a split phase inverter, or a 230V generator

Below is a chart with a major pump motor mfg's specs for their motors. It will be applicable to nearly all motors, as they all work pretty much the same within the same size/power category.

Assume starting current for 0.5 second, is 10x the running current (amps) That's what an inverter would have to supply. Generators are a bit easier because the flywheel stores half a second of power

There is also something called Power Factor unique to AC systems, where the Voltage and Amps get out of phase, and the generator/inverter has to work harder to supply the odd power. It doesn't take anymore watts from the batteries, but requires a larger Inverter/Generator to be able to supply the out of phase power.

Do you need to run all the pumps at once, or can you run one to fill the storage tank and then run the pressure booster only as needed ?

For an emergency, you could plumb in a simple RV 12v sink pump and get a little water, only consuming a little power.

Well Pump Motor Specs.jpg
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• bob-n
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2019

Mike gives excellent advice and guidance.

I'd like to also throw out a completely different approach. Have you considered a large water holding tank? That is more efficient at storing energy as well as storing water, and more economical than batteries. The idea is old as the hills and has been the solution in many towns, so not complete lunacy. Fiberglas tanks are also good for long life. You don't have to worry about battery life or maintenance.
      7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Working...