NorCal, Tesla 4kw + 1 powerwall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I wish I could limit my energy usage to 10kwh per day but that would require me to send my wife and daughter away somewhere. Neither can do without AC.

It sure depends where you live.
    Where I am, most days I can cool the house down by opening windows and sliding doors, and letting the cross breeze do the job

But is is more than 10kWh per day, you get that for the night and then the full 30/40 kWh from solar during the day.
    The limit though is the sustained power output, as 4.5kW is not enough to run AC plus many house loads at the same time. So the real limit is in the max power, not the amount of energy available.

Comment

Originally posted by Wannaretireearly View Post
      Its also interesting that solar prices have dropped quite a bit last few years. Whereas the battery prices have gone up. I get the demand from cars is a big impact. Wonder what Powerwall 3 will look like and how aggressive Elon will get with powerwall pricing next few years...
      I think there is more demand for home storage than supply, but battery prices are coming down. For Tesla cars, the battery costs are around $150 per KwH, which implies a price for a 14 KwH Powerwall cost of $2100 = $150*14. Then you have to include the price of the inverter and other things. Batteries will get much cheaper and last much longer. All major countries and investing heavily in battery manufacturing capacity and battery research. China will probably be the leader in batteries as they are in solar currently. Wholesale solar modules prices are at an incredibly low price of 17 cents a watt. Now, panel manufactures are focusing on raising solar panel efficient to lower balance of system costs.

Comment

Originally posted by solar_future View Post

I think there is more demand for home storage than supply, but battery prices are coming down. For Tesla cars, the battery costs are around $150 per KwH, which implies a price for a 14 KwH Powerwall cost of $2100 = $150*14. Then you have to include the price of the inverter and other things. Batteries will get much cheaper and last much longer. All major countries and investing heavily in battery manufacturing capacity and battery research. China will probably be the leader in batteries as they are in solar currently. Wholesale solar modules prices are at an incredibly low price of 17 cents a watt. Now, panel manufactures are focusing on raising solar panel efficient to lower balance of system costs.
        Great thoughts. I've seen speculation that future powerwalls (3?) may simplify the h/w needs. Incorporate the inverters etc. I'm looking forward to what the future holds !!

Comment

Originally posted by Wannaretireearly View Post

Great thoughts. I've seen speculation that future powerwalls (3?) may simplify the h/w needs. Incorporate the inverters etc. I'm looking forward to what the future holds !!
          The Powerwalls already have an inverter and that is why they can AC couple to any UL 1741 GT inverter. The first versions of the Powerwall were DC coupled only to Solaredge Storedge inverters and those only had DC to DC converters. That was an efficient system but it left Tesla subject to a only a single vendor solution. The new Gateway has room for more breakers so a few critical loads circuits can be added without the need for a completely separate panel.

I do think the future will have a lot of AC coupled solutions. California is leading the market with installations.
          Last edited by Ampster; 07-23-2020, 06:54 PM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
          X