Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wannaretireearly
    • Jul 2020

NorCal, Tesla 4kw + 1 powerwall

My Tesla design is in progress. Pge electric bill runs 100 to 130. We have gas heating, stove.

Guidance from folks who have been thru or going thru the Tesla process please?

I think 12 panels are good enough. Ideally 5kw system is what other companies have sized. But I don't want to over build. Also, the powerwall will provide energy during peak pge hours.

Advice, recommendations, questions to ask Tesla next week? Gotchas?

I'm new here so let me know what I'm missing, what else I can help provide.

Appreciate all your help!
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

What have you done to inform yourself of the basics of PV and how it works ? Vendors prey on the solar ignorant.

Have you solicited bids for other PV systems from other vendors ?

What have you done to reduce your usage before adding PV ? Any conservation measures short of new windows is probably more cost effective than PV.

What is your annual usage and how much of it do you want to offset with PV ?

$1,200 - $1,560 /yr. isn't much of a bill. How important or what part does system system cost effectiveness play in your goals/plans ?

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Are you subject to PGE public safety power shutdowns?
      Did Tesla look at your power bills?
      Are you getting any rebates?
      One question for Tesla is whether the Powerwall can cover your whole house or will you need a separate critical loads panel.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Wannaretireearly
        • Jul 2020

Originally posted by J.P.M.
        What have you done to inform yourself of the basics of PV and how it works ? Vendors prey on the solar ignorant.

Have you solicited bids for other PV systems from other vendors ?

What have you done to reduce your usage before adding PV ? Any conservation measures short of new windows is probably more cost effective than PV.

What is your annual usage and how much of it do you want to offset with PV ?

$1,200 - $1,560 /yr. isn't much of a bill. How important or what part does system system cost effectiveness play in your goals/plans ?
        Been researching on/off last year. Got a couple of bids from sunrun etc.all seem to be in the $20k range for a 5kw system, plus roughly 10k for a battery. Tesla does seem much cheaper at 10k for the panels (4kw) and about 6k for the battery.

We did a complete remodel a couple of years ago, so the house should be high on the efficiency side. New windows etc..

cost effectiveness/roi is an important factor to me.

Comment

• Wannaretireearly
          • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Ampster
          Are you subject to PGE public safety power shutdowns?
          Did Tesla look at your power bills?
          Are you getting any rebates?
          One question for Tesla is whether the Powerwall can cover your whole house or will you need a separate critical loads panel.
          We just missed out on the power shutdowns last year. Tesla is looking at my bills at the mo.
          I dont get any rebates currently.
          Not sure if I need a critical loads panel, haven't been told yet. I've just uploaded all the pics per step 2 of the tesla process...

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Reads like you've pretty well sold yourself on Tesla.

Good luck.

Comment

• Wannaretireearly
              • Jul 2020

Originally posted by J.P.M.
              Reads like you've pretty well sold yourself on Tesla.

Good luck.
              It does, yes. One of the reasons I wanted to post here first, before committing to Tesla..

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Wannaretireearly

One of the reasons I wanted to post here first, before committing to Tesla..
                I would suggest going on to teslamotorsclub.com
                There you will find more users with experience using Tesla systems. The Tesla Energy sub forum has a lot of activity. There are users there with specific PGE experience that can help you pick the best rate plan. You may also be part of a CCA (Community Choice Aggregation) plan that offers incentives. I am part of Sonoma Clean Power and receive $5 a month to let them control my EV charging when the grid is stressed. Long term Tesla has plans to roll out a plan to aggregate Powerwalls so you could get paid for charging your Powerwall.
                They are already doing this in Vermont.
                9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Wannaretireearly
                  • Jul 2020

Originally posted by Ampster
                  I would suggest going on to teslamotorsclub.com
                  There you will find more users with experience using Tesla systems. The Tesla Energy sub forum has a lot of activity. There are users there with specific PGE experience that can help you pick the best rate plan. You may also be part of a CCA (Community Choice Aggregation) plan that offers incentives. I am part of Sonoma Clean Power and receive $5 a month to let them control my EV charging when the grid is stressed. Long term Tesla has plans to roll out a plan to aggregate Powerwalls so you could get paid for charging your Powerwall.
                  They are already doing this in Vermont.
                  Great info. Thank you!!

Comment

• scrambler
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Mar 2019

The Powerwall is limited to 5kW sustained, so If you have a single Powerwall, and unless you do not have any heavy power users (AC, Electric Oven, Electric Water heater, Dryer, Electric car...) the installation will most likely include moving all the light loads (15-20 amps breakers) to a critical load panel, and these will be the only one powered during an outage (which is usually fine)

Comment

• Wannaretireearly
                      • Jul 2020

Thanks scrambler. We have gas tankless heater, and a gas stove. In the event of an outage, we would avoid running dryers, ac etc. Were not heavy ac users any case. Appreciate your response

Comment

• azdave
                        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Wannaretireearly

...PGE electric bill runs 100 to 130...

...cost effectiveness/roi is an important factor to me.
                        I don't understand with your monthly electric bills that low how you plan to get a decent ROI? Are your e-bills expected to go up significantly in the near future? I had trouble rationalizing an $11K cash purchase on my very simple 6.6 kW grid-tie system and it had an estimated payback of 7 years. Depending on the estimates you shared you are between maybe 10-15 years payback? People move to a new home on average every 7 years right?

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• solar_future
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by azdave

I don't understand with your monthly electric bills that low how you plan to get a decent ROI? Are your e-bills expected to go up significantly in the near future? I had trouble rationalizing an $11K cash purchase on my very simple 6.6 kW grid-tie system and it had an estimated payback of 7 years. Depending on the estimates you shared you are between maybe 10-15 years payback? People move to a new home on average every 7 years right?
                          According to multiple studies and common sense, homes with solar power systems sell for more than those without, so if you move, you will recoup some of your money in a higher resale price.
                          Last edited by solar_future; 07-14-2020, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by solar_future

According to multiple studies and common sense, homes with solar power systems sell for more than those without, so if you move, you will recoup some of your money in a higher resale price.
                            Actually that is not correct for all homes with solar. It may be very attractive to purchase a home with an existing solar system in some areas of some states but I can tell you an existing solar pv system is a liability in a lot of homes in Florida. For that matter solar isn't even mentioned in a selling description while a pool is.

Comment

• azdave
                              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by solar_future

According to multiple studies and common sense....
                              What does common sense have to do with it? I think you've been drinking the solar salesman Kool-aid.

Around here, few home appraisers give any value to having solar, even if the panels are owned free and clear. Solar on the home is often a bargaining chip for the buyer to get seller concessions because there is often a lease transfer involved.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                              6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...