X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Salts
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2019

Sunny Island + Sunny Boy question

I have a couple of Sunny Island battery inverters and Sunny Boy grid tied inverters. When power goes out, the system works very well. The Sunny Islands do their thing and can control the Sunny boy inverters through Frequency Shift Power Control.

But how would this work with only a single Sunny Island running at 120 volts? Can a 120 volt Sunny Island, working by itself, get a grid tied Sunny Boy to start making power on only one phase? Lets assume there's no autotransformer

Is there a setting inside the Sunny Boy inverter that can make it push 120volts on a single line instead of 240 split?

I was skimming through the manuals and couldn't find any reference to this.

Thanks,
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

Yes, for some reason they designed the Sunny Island with just 120Vac output. To marry it to a solar array having a SunnyBoy inverter, you have to either stack a second SunnyIsland or use their "Smartformer" product to create 240Vac. (Instead of this expensive product, I just found a 6kW step-up transformer on Ebay and doubled the output of the SunnyIsland to make it compatible with the SunnyBoy).
    Last edited by solarix; 06-26-2020, 12:47 AM.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• Salts
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2019

Originally posted by solarix
      Yes, for some reason they designed the Sunny Island with just 120Vac output. To marry it to a solar array having a SunnyBoy inverter, you have to either stack a second SunnyIsland or use their "Smartformer" product to create 240Vac. (Instead of this expensive product, I just found a 6kW step-up transformer on Ebay and doubled the output of the SunnyIsland to make it compatible with the SunnyIsland).
      That's what I thought. Been looking for one on ebay as well.

Comment

Working...