StorEdge Configuration Question: Meter Installation & Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some data/analysis from 5/29/2020...

I exported the chart data on the dashboard and did some analysis of battery utilization over 3 hours. At 1:30pm I implemented a custom Storage Profile that used only the "Max Self-consumption" mode with a Backup Reserve of 80% for much of the daylight hours. I switched to the SE "Backup Only" mode @ 4:30pm because the battery had recharged to 100% and we were turning on the A/C units (smoke from a burn) - like you, I didn't want the battery to push 5kW and give up 20% SOE just to run the A/Cs.

In any event, over the 3 hours there were 8 Charge events and 10 Discharge events. The weather was partly cloudy. The cumulative Discharge was 15% SOE and the cumulative Charge was 34% SOE. Charge was greater than Discharge because the battery started at 80% SOE and ended at 100% SOE.

At midnight on 5/30/2020 I implement a new Storage Policy that is similar to the what I believe you have implemented. I don't think I'll have much clipping given my array size (8.4kW) and the SE7600A clip point. The baseline mode is Max Self-consumption with an 80% Backup Reserve, however, instead of using "Charge from clipped PV" mode, I used "Charge from PV" mode for the hours from 9am-11:45pm. (I'll likely change the start time to 6am as yours is).

Given this thread was about meter configuration, I'll start a new thread about Storage Profiles and Charge/Discharge modes.

@soby, I really can't thank you enough for your insights.

Comment

Still playing around with some settings and hw configuration.

On the hardware side, I was still getting odd power readings displayed on the SE monitoring site. For example, early this morning the graphic on the SE monitoring web showed that I was exporting power to the grid when I clearly wasn't. I did double-check the CTs and they were oriented correctly according to the label on the device. But, I reversed the direction anyway (arrow pointed away from the grid) - and the graphic on the SE web site now makes sense. I'll watch it today and see if that holds or what other side effects it might produce.

On the settings side, I noticed that there is an unavoidable :15 minute gap from 11:45pm to 12am when configuring a secondary mode ("Change Schedule") on a Storage Profile. This means that the primary mode will apply. It led to some odd chart behavior - my battery went from 97% SOE at 11:45 to 80% SOE at 12am (next day chart) with no visible drop in the chart from 11:45pm to 12am.

Oh and on a side note, the menus changed on the SE Monitoring Admin page again...site behavior seems better than the last time. I'm not really sure about the "Do Not Override Site Settings" title. It seems that the web-based profiles can override some local system settings, but not others.

storage.jpg

DoNotOverride.jpg

Comment

Small update...reversing the orientation of the CTs (pointing the arrow away from the grid) solved the odd power displays on the web. The web graphic now makes sense and corresponds with what I can see on the Inverter and what I observe in the house. For grins I did double-check the CT wire connections on the meter and they were correct. I can't really explain why this is working or what I messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by v10tdi View Post
          Small update...reversing the orientation of the CTs (pointing the arrow away from the grid) solved the odd power displays on the web. The web graphic now makes sense and corresponds with what I can see on the Inverter and what I observe in the house. For grins I did double-check the CT wire connections on the meter and they were correct. I can't really explain why this is working or what I messed up.
          The arrow on the CT is usually pointed to the load which would be your home and not the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

The arrow on the CT is usually pointed to the load which would be your home and not the grid.
            You are clearly correct! But the instructions say otherwise...or my comprehension of the written instructions is poor.
            CTorientation.jpg

The "arrow" on the CT does say "source" which I interpreted to mean "arrow is pointing toward the grid" and the "source" of the incoming power. My bad. I am just glad it works.

CTsticker.jpg

Comment

You are clearly correct! But the instructions say otherwise...or my comprehension of the written instructions is poor.
              CTorientation.jpg

The "arrow" on the CT does say "source" which I interpreted to mean "arrow is pointing toward the grid" and the "source" of the incoming power. My bad. I am just glad it works.

CTsticker.jpg
              Those directions make no sense unless you want to measure what is going to the grid as a positive watt hour usage and not a negative usage.

It took me a few times using a Fluke meter to understand how the CT need to be oriented. The wrong orientation yielded negative watt usage.

Comment

On the settings side, I noticed that there is an unavoidable :15 minute gap from 11:45pm to 12am when configuring a secondary mode ("Change Schedule") on a Storage Profile. This means that the primary mode will apply. It led to some odd chart behavior - my battery went from 97% SOE at 11:45 to 80% SOE at 12am (next day chart) with no visible drop in the chart from 11:45pm to 12am.
                Glad to hear you got your CTs working.

I too noticed the 15 minute gap from 11:45pm to 12am. It won't let you change the default and have it go to midnight. My workaround was just to have the default be what I wanted for that 15 minute interval (Charge from Clipped Solar). I set midnight to 6am as "Maximum Self Consumption".

It has become frightening to see what my house consumes on a hot, sunny day. on June 20, the house consumed 94kWh! Peak consumption was 12.3kW!! I'm in the market for new HVAC units for this very reason. Can't do much about the oven and dryer though...

Comment

>My workaround was just to have the default be what I wanted for that 15 minute interval [11:45pm-12:00am] (Charge from Clipped Solar)...

Yup - I did the same, but selected "Charge from solar power" as my default since my clipping opportunity is more limited with my smaller system.

>the house consumed 94kWh! Peak consumption was 12.3kW...

Yikes! My max total consumption (so far) is not quite half yours, tho my peak is comparable with 2 HVAC, dehumidifier, elec. dryer, hot water and well pump (gas range/oven). Summer temps aren't too bad here in WNC mountains (~3300' elevation, 54-79F today).

FWIW - I've logged 2 defects with SolarEdge for the StorEdge/LG charge/discharge programming. They've been confirmed by SolarEdge and they are waiting on LG firmware fix. I've also logged 3 or 4 enhancement requests - but I have no idea where they'll end up...may depend on how LG addresses the bugs.

In the meantime, I've settled on the "Charge from solar power" mode with 60% backup reserve as my default Charge/Discharge profile, mixing in "Maxmize self consumption" mode from 2-5am and 10am-3pm. During the Summer this cycle typically gives an low battery discharge rate in 2-5am period, low battery charge rate in the morning as the sun rises, occasional use of the battery during the daylight period and low battery charge rate in the late afternoon. Total battery charge/discharge is about 50% each day with these parameters and the charge/discharge rate is usually <2kW. Nice-n-easy...

Comment

Working...
                  X