No announcement yet.

Modified tied system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How may panels? The Enphase micro inverters are attached to the racking and the panels are fastened to the racking to protect the microinverters. Are you going to have easy access to the back of the panels after the install. If not there is not much you can do. I am sure the installer will tell you that is a bad idea as will most people on this forum. Enphase does make a battery backup that is modular. You could ask your installer about that option.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Twelve 350W LG panels total. My idea is to detach 1, 2 panels from the system for off grid use during a blackout, without having to climb on the roof to do it. I assume my solution would cost around 500-600 dollars ($200 mppt charge controller, $150 1000W DC-AC inverter, other stuff and extra labor).

Comment

Originally posted by manz View Post
        Twelve 350W LG panels total. My idea is to detach 1, 2 panels from the system for off grid use during a blackout, without having to climb on the roof to do it. I assume my solution would cost around 500-600 dollars ($200 mppt charge controller, $150 1000W DC-AC inverter, other stuff and extra labor).
        What do you estimate as the cost for the battery bank for off grid use? Depending on the amount of power you want to have for backup and whether it might need additional surge capability, such as for motor starting in a refrigerator, it could be substantial.
        SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Originally posted by t140v View Post
          Hi all,
          I have a 4kW tied panel system, it is split, 8 panels on the east side and 8 panels on the west sides of my bungalow roof and it has been generating since 2012
          I have inserted an "Solar iBoost" water heater in my electrical supply to my immersion heater to make the most of excess solar power generated between mid March and October and use it to heat my domestic water supply.
          I had looked at adding battery storage but the cost of the storage units and the low power generated between Nov-Feb do not make economical sense.
          If there is a power outage my inverter shuts down as it looses the power signal to protect anyone working on the grid, I wondered if I could add 2 YY connectors to some of my panel circuit and connect them to a charge controller feeding a couple of 12v batteries.
          The 12v batteries would then be connected to a small 1000W inverter which I could use to power light and other small electrical devices and would be completely separate from the household mains supply.
          This is an emergency system only to provide power when the grid is down, do you think it will work.
          Regards Stuart

As a thought experiment, you should be able to use YY connectors to create a string of a few panels and connect to a hybrid inverter with built-in ATS to do what you are talking about.

Here is an example https://www.ebay.com/itm/LV-MK-1000w...MAAOSwtyxensDa of the kind of inverters I am thinking of but this specific one may not meet your exact needs (e.g. 50Hz vs 60Hz, 120V vs 230V, etc.) so you would have to find specific one for your needs. Using such inverter, you could use YY connectors to create a string of maybe up to 3 grid-tied panels (<140V) and feed it to the inverter and set it to UPS mode via ATS (i.e. switch to inverter when grid is down).

Comment

Would it be economical to build something to detach a panel or two from the system to use during a blackout? I am getting an LG panels and Enphase micro inverter system installed. I want to know if the solar installer can do something during installation that could be useful during a blackout. I am ok with having this work during the day only so no batteries need to be involved.

The simplest setup I can think off is just a switch for A-B and A-E, but I don't know what are the safety issues involved with this. Suppose the grid was down, I think flipping from A-B to A-E should be ok because that's like plugging A into E if I were to build something completely off grid. But when the grid goes back up, can I flip from A-E to A-B safely?

Thank you.

2020-05-25_0615-solar.png
            What do you plan to power during grid outage? Without any battery, the power may not be stable enough or have enough surge power for your target loads.

Comment

I don't plan to have to have a large battery, maybe a 12V 20ah battery. Enough to charge some flashlight, laptop, maybe boil water during the day. I already have a 12ah 48v ebike battery.

Comment

I don't plan to have to have a large battery, maybe a 12V 20ah battery. Enough to charge some flashlight, laptop, maybe boil water during the day. I already have a 12ah 48v ebike battery.
                A 20ah battery is not going to do much water boiling. It may help stabilize the DC bus if the sun is shining brightly on your solar.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

There are some solar water heaters that will easily boil water without using battery power.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post

A 20ah battery is not going to do much water boiling. It may help stabilize the DC bus if the sun is shining brightly on your solar.
                    How much water do you plan on boiling ?

Comment

Working...
                    X