Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tired sparky
    • Jan 2020

Grid tie and battery together

Is it possible to wire a grid tie inverter and an MPPT controlled battery system together? Would the batteries get charged if the inverter was taking all the power? What would get priority, the grid or batteries needing a charge?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Tired sparky
    Is it possible to wire a grid tie inverter and an MPPT controlled battery system together? Would the batteries get charged if the inverter was taking all the power? What would get priority, the grid or batteries needing a charge?
    You would need to set up the system like a hybrid inverter that would connect to the grid when it was up or charge the battery when the grid was down. I don't know if you can do that with a standard grid tie inverter and an MPPT CC.

Comment

• Ampster
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2017

Originally posted by SunEagle

You would need to set up the system like a hybrid inverter that would connect to the grid when it was up or charge the battery when the grid was down. I don't know if you can do that with a standard grid tie inverter and an MPPT CC.
      Yes, one of the issues would be that a grid tie inverter typically has a string voltage of 300 to 400 volts. I don't think there are many MPPT CCs that operate above 48 v nominal.

Recently I saw a post here where someone wanted to use his grid tie string of solar panels to power an off grid inverter when the grid was down. The only solutions offered were switches or manually reconfiguring the panels for each time he wanted to use the other inverter.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Tired sparky
        • Jan 2020

What I should have said is can I have one of those small 1200 Watt grid tie inverters (micro-inverter) that run off 12 or 24 volts and have MPPT, looks like the inverter has MC4 plugs for a direct connection?

I was wondering if the supply from the panels could be paralleled into both the inverter then into my Epever charge controller.

As both units are MPPT controlled would they compete and interfere with each other but more importantly would the electricity from the panels go through the charge controller when the batteries need a charge, then go through the grid tie when that has a load demand or would the power get divided between the two depending what load is on each?

Maybe this just isn’t possible and I would need some switching gear to alternate between the two?

Comment

• littleharbor
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jan 2016

Output from a micro inverter is AC power, Your CC wants DC power.
          2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Tired sparky
            What I should have said is can I have one of those small 1200 Watt grid tie inverters (micro-inverter) that run off 12 or 24 volts and have MPPT, looks like the inverter has MC4 plugs for a direct connection?

I was wondering if the supply from the panels could be paralleled into both the inverter then into my Epever charge controller.

As both units are MPPT controlled would they compete and interfere with each other but more importantly would the electricity from the panels go through the charge controller when the batteries need a charge, then go through the grid tie when that has a load demand or would the power get divided between the two depending what load is on each?

Maybe this just isn’t possible and I would need some switching gear to alternate between the two?
            I think you will have to split the panels so some are connected to your MPPT CC and batteries and the rest are connected to the grid inverter. I just do not see a way to "parallel" the inverters to the same set of panels.

Comment

• sdold
              • Jun 2014

I think Morningstar makes an inverter that does this, take a look here:
              “Morningstar’s DC Coupled backup solution for grid-tied solar systems is a game changer. Now people can use the PV array that they already paid for to create backup power when […]

Ampster: You may be thinking of the battery side of charge controllers. Many are capable of much higher PV Voc inputs, 150V is common and some as high as 600V. Outback and Morningstar for example.

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by sdold
                Ampster: You may be thinking of the battery side of charge controllers. Many are capable of much higher PV Voc inputs, 150V is common and some as high as 600V. Outback and Morningstar for example.
                Yes, I am not as familiar with most standalone charge controllers. The one integrated in my hybrid inverter does operate at those voltages.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by sdold
                  I think Morningstar makes an inverter that does this, take a look here:
                  “Morningstar’s DC Coupled backup solution for grid-tied solar systems is a game changer. Now people can use the PV array that they already paid for to create backup power when […]

I would say that Morningstar is a hybrid inverter that can be connected to both the grid and battery. I don't think the OP's equipment is designed for that operation.

Comment

• Tired sparky
                    • Jan 2020

Ok thanks, I didn’t think this would work with the two units competing for power. I think I will have to either separate the two systems which will be problematic due to lack of panel space or try to use a relay to switch the power from the charge controller to the grid tie when the batteries are full?

Ideally I would like to get a Victron battery monitor which has an output for a relay built in. These are pretty expensive though.

One idea deal is to use a second cheap charge controller to monitor the battery voltage and use its pre-set-able on/off controls to power a relay that will switch the incoming solar from the main charge controller to the grid tie inverter when the batteries are full.

Im thinking this should work mechanically tho whether it would interfere with the charging cycle I don’t know? Maybe set the relay to switch to grid tie at 28.8 volts battery level and switch back to charge controller when battery drops to 24 volts? Or something like that??

Comment

• Ampster
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jun 2017

Sometimes when trying to solve a problem the details get in the way. What happens is i find myself incrementally making a couple of small decisions that take me down the wrong path. Let me ask a few questions to see if I can understand the big picture;

What is your long term goal? I understand your roof has limited space for lots of panels and that you have a grid connection, correct? What existing equipment do you now have that you would like to continue to use?

Comment

• Tired sparky
                        • Jan 2020

Long term goal.

Have grid tie tie power available for home use only. Don’t want to put any into grid if possible as I’m only capable of producing about 1000 watts presently.

Want a battery back up system for emergency use and to run some 12 volt appliances.

All i I would like is an automatic system that switches between grid tie and battery charging using hopefully one solar array but using cheaper parts and parts available here in the UK. I know there are nice gadgets that do these things but are either too pricey or hard to obtain.

I dont use use hardly any battery power day to day so would like the system to automatically put my hard earned solar energy into domestic use once batteries are topped off.

I have an Epever 40 amp mppt charge controller. 900 watts of solar panels. 8 x T105 in series and parallel to make a 24 volt battery bank. Also have a 1200 Watt 24 volt grid tie inverter sitting unused. Saving for a nice 24 volt pure sine inverter for emergency use.

As as this is all diy experimentation, part hobby and maybe useful one day and not really critical for life stuff it just needs to work, not work perfectly.

Thanks.

Comment

• Ampster
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jun 2017

I am not sure what you mean by a 24 volt grid tie inverter? Will it take input from your existing solar panels directly? Would it charge your 24 v batteries?

Comment

• Tired sparky
                            • Jan 2020

Yes the grid tie inverter takes 24 volts straight from the panels. It has four sets of MC4 sockets on the unit for directly plugging in four 300 watt panels.

Comment

• Tired sparky
                              • Jan 2020

And no the grid tie inverter would just put energy into the house mains (grid). The other CC would deal with the batteries.

Comment

Working...