Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I set the SCP on an XW6048 for custom batteries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I set the SCP on an XW6048 for custom batteries?

I've had a dual solar set-up for about 11 years. I had just 1480 watts, off grid from 2008 until 2012, when I got grid power and added 4840 watts, grid tie only. I have 4840 watts grid tied and 1480 watts, battery back-up and grid tied.
    I recently needed to change my battery bank because the Trojan 48V bank got too old. I just need battery back-up for one circuit, which is a back up electric heater in case my propane furnace fails and the grid goes down. This circuit will just heat 1 well insulated, very small room (130 cu. ft, with 3" foam insulation R 18) which houses 1 piece of sensitive equipment used in the making of maple syrup.
    I bought a 48V (nominal) bank of Sinopoly prismatic cells, LiFePo4. The charge specs call for setting charge voltages to 53.0 v top, 50.0 v bottom. I need to set these in a custom battery type. How can I do that? Do I need to download a custom battery type, the XW MPPT 60 only shows Flooded, AGM and GEL, no custom option.
    I have the battery bank connected but for now I can only charge manually. I turn on the solar panels and the CC charges the battery bank, when it gets to 53.1 V I turn them off. Since I only use the 100AH bank to run 1 heater at 1250 watts, which only runs about 15 minutes out of each hour when the temps are at zero outside the bank does not run too low in one night. The only other thing in the battery bank is a DC-DC converter, 48V to 12V and a 65 watt heat pad to maintain the batteries inside an insulated enclosure.
    How can I set either the CC or thru the SCP the voltages within this narrow range?
    Last edited by maple flats; 11-26-2019, 09:48 PM.
    6,32 KW solar, net metered, maple syrup producer.

I'd try to use AGM default setting, and then change it from there, to whatever you want.

BUT - you may need a software update for the SCP, and there were 2 models of SCP, so be sure you are downloading the right firmware. It loads easily from a small thumb drive, follow the directions, and I found it often takes 5-10 minutes longer to complete the update.

Also, there are "ADVANCED SETTINGS" and a hidden menu you have to press 2 keys at the same time to uncover. Maybe that's where the custom is hiding. Download the SCP manual and read it to find the settings.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thanks Mike 90250, I will try that. I may need to update the SCP, it was last done in Nov 2012 when the 4840 watt grid tied portion of my Array was activated. The battery back-up and grid tied 1480 watt portion then had to be reprogrammed in Jan 2013 after contacting Tech Support to address the settings to sell power to the grid without pulling from the battery bank.

Comment

I got the SCP working and set the upper charge setting. I got the high set at 53V and when I try to set the low cut off, it will not go up to 50V, which is where I want it for the LIFePo4 battery bank. Does that mean I need an update on the software? It is also properly selling power after it gets to 53V, which even with very overcast days since I changed the settings on 11/27 seems to take very little time. To get the longest life out of this battery bank it wants to run between 50V and 53V. Even in the AGM setting the low end won't go up to 50.0V

Comment

Working...
        X