Underperforming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underperforming?

I had a 4.88kw system installed a few weeks ago. 16 - 305w panels in two 8-panel strings. Maximum output at any time has been 3kw according to my mppt readout. Is this the output i can expect or can I reconfigure the wire to increase the max?

Depending on what angle the panels are mounted and the direction they are pointed will determine what is their maximum output. So pointed due South and the angle at around the latitude they are mounted.

For your information you may never get more than 90% of the panels rated wattage and then for only a short period of time between 10amp and 2pm.

Comment

A simulation on PVwatt for a 5.7kW South facing 20deg pitch array in northern California reports a max production of 4.5kW so basically 80% of the array nominal power.

Comment

Originally posted by scrambler View Post
        A simulation on PVwatt for a 5.7kW South facing 20deg pitch array in northern California reports a max production of 4.5kW so basically 80% of the array nominal power.
        I agree that most times based on the weather you may only see an average of 80% of the array wattage. But at times for brief periods the array could generate about 10% more.

Comment

What size is the inverter?
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post
            Depending on what angle the panels are mounted and the direction they are pointed will determine what is their maximum output. So pointed due South and the angle at around the latitude they are mounted.

For your information you may never get more than 90% of the panels rated wattage and then for only a short period of time between 10amp and 2pm.

Yes, the panels are facing due south (180 degrees) with an angle of 25 (roof) on latitude 33.

3k out of 4.88k = 61.5%

If I could max out at 4k, I would be most happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
              What size is the inverter?

I have Schneider Conext XW+ 6848 inverter with the MPPT 80 600

Comment

Originally posted by 70rattler View Post

Yes, the panels are facing due south (180 degrees) with an angle of 25 (roof) on latitude 33.

3k out of 4.88k = 61.5%

So, what did the installer say when you called and asked them about what you think may be poor performance ? Service is part of what you paid for. I'd start with the installer .

Comment

Originally posted by 70rattler View Post

3k out of 4.88k = 61.5%

Ok it does sound like you have some type of system error which is limiting your power genration.

Comment

Working...
                  X