How to add Batteries to a roof solar system?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mark2407
    • Jun 2019

How to add Batteries to a roof solar system?

Hello, people.
    Help, please. . . I'm a newbie here, know very little about solar and PV, etc. . .
    Living in western Arizona, we put 36 solar panels on the east-facing sloped roof a year ago.
    The documentation says it is a 10,620 kW system, and the big box in the garage is a "Fronius IG Plus".
    I think that all the generated power goes to the local power company, and we then get our power from them.
    At about 12 noon and 110F in the shade, the Fronius box says it is generating about 7100 watts. It often gets above 8200 watts.
    With the AC running Always, our electric bill is a constant $27 monthly, just to belong to the "co-op" that manages the power.
    Trying to plan ahead for when the SHTF. . . I think it would be a good idea to put a bunch of batteries in the garage,
    and tap into the current panels system, so that when the terrorists destroy the country's power grid, we will have all the power we
    need to run the house (2000 square feet, with constant AC, fridge and a spare freezer, electric stove/oven, many electronics, etc).
    Water heater is gas-powered. I'm SURE that some other people have done this already. . . Yes?
    From the posts that I have already read here, I think I want to create a "hybrid" system?
    Where can I go to study what I would need to do to accomplish this?
    Some links, please? Your thoughts? This IS a doable thing, yes?
    Would greatly appreciate some advice from you experts. Thanks.
    Mark2407
  • Mark2407
    • Jun 2019

Wow. I just realized. . . when the nation's power grid dies, then the natural gas company will be out of business. . . yes?
    We might need to get an Electric water heater?

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Mark2407
      Hello, people.
      .... so that when the terrorists destroy the country's power grid, we will have all the power we
      need to run the house (2000 square feet, with constant AC, fridge and a spare freezer, electric stove/oven, many electronics, etc).....
      All the power you need to attract the moths to the flame.

Yes it's doable. But expensive. you can reuse the panels, and that's about it.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

What Mike is saying is you will need a different inverter because that one will only work when the grid is up. It is known as a Grid Tie Inverter and it was not designed to use batteries. You need a more expensive hybrid inverter that can run your house off batteries and the sun. Or add a Tesla Powerwall or similar system to your existing inverter and solar panels. Plan on spending about $10,000.
        Last edited by Ampster; 06-29-2019, 02:27 AM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mark2407
          • Jun 2019

Well, thanks for the replies, people.

Mike: "All the power you need to attract the moths to the flame. "
          I hope that won't be a problem. Many houses around here have solar on the roof, so we won't stand out from the rest.
          And AZ is a gun-friendly state. . . we have an adequate supply.
          ALL of that stuff in your signature is Greek to me.

Ampster: OK, the big box in the garage is apparently a grid-connected inverter.
          And I can not just tap into the AC that comes out of that Inverter. Darn.
          Right. . . I need to catch the DC from the panels, and run that into some batteries. . . Yes?
          The hybrid inverter that you mention. . . Would that Replace the existing inverter, or be in addition to it?
          I'll do some research to find out what is a Tesla Powerwall. $10,000?! Eek.

So as not to waste too much of your time, can you suggest some links where I can read / learn about this stuff?

Thanks.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

I hope that won't be a problem. Many houses around here have solar on the roof, so we won't stand out from the rest.

Right. . . I need to catch the DC from the panels, and run that into some batteries. . . Yes?
            The hybrid inverter that you mention. . . Would that Replace the existing inverter, or be in addition to it?

So as not to waste too much of your time, can you suggest some links where I can read / learn about this stuff?

Thanks.
            First off, the house will stand out from the others in an outage as it will have power, thus attracting people that might want it.
            second, others have guns too...

on the inverter part there are two ways to convert to a backup type system. Bit involve adding a bimodal inverter.
            one is DC coupled and you would replace your existing inverter with charge controllers, bimodal inverter and batteries.
            the other option is AC couoled and you would ADD a bimodal inverter to the existing inverter as well as batteries.

A power wall would be an AC coupled solution. Outback power has some documentation on AC coupled solutions as well as their default DC coupled solutions.
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

If you are at the point at which you are thinking about a shootout between the power-hungry villains and your intrepid family - you are so far into the weeds that it makes no sense to work on solar. Water, food and medical care are far larger problems than defending your working refrigerator from villains.

Generators make a lot more sense for backup.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

I think that most people that want a solar emergency power backup system in case of a SHTF issue, do so because they really want to justify using a solar/battery system regardless of the cost.

Comment

• NCmountainsOffgrid
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2018

saying you have a gun and you'll be one of the only ones with 'power', is like saying that 'gold' will somehow have a much greater value when the world 'implodes'....
                  the problem is that you can't EAT gold - the most valuable things when the world collides will the food&water, and secondly fuel... no amount of 'money' or 'gold' will matter.

but, that's just my take. Keep some beef jerky at hand. : )

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

I having been messing around with batteries, solar panels and LEDs for the past 18 years. I am not an expert and have had no formal education in electrical engineering. I do believe we all have the tools to teach ourselves informally.

This forum is a good resource because, unlike YouTube and Google searches, you have the opportunity to get feedback. Most of my projects have been to satisfy my curiosity. As they have become more expensive I have had to justify them based on a financial savings. When that looked less promising I rationalized them because I wanted the backup in case my power went out. It all depends of where we are standing. In my part of California my power company has had to shut down sections of the grid to prevent brush fires. In addition the power market is evolving and it is possible n the future that I might get compensation to allow the power company to utilize my battery power when the grid gets stressed. I already get compensated just to give them the ability to turn off my EV chargers when the grid is stressed.

I don't have a syllabus I can give you. My suggestion use what ever search engine you prefer. Those queries will often lead you back to threads on this forum. As you think about your goals be sure your planning is based on a realistic estimate of your needs.

Comment

• Mark2407
                      • Jun 2019

Thanks for the replies, people.

Jflorey: You mean Gas generators? But they're Noisy! IMHO, Solar is better because it's less noticeable/obvious.

Ampster: thanks for your thoughtful and helpful comments.

OK,. . . I'll search and study. . .
                      DC coupled
                      AC coupled
                      Bimodal inverters
                      Charge controllers
                      Outback power

Mark2407

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

Jflorey: You mean Gas generators? But they're Noisy! IMHO, Solar is better because it's less noticeable/obvious.....
                        I agree with jflorey that gas generators are less expensive than batteries, but I also don't like the noise and smell of generators and having to keep an explosive fuel around. That is why I went the more expensive route of batteries.
                        Last edited by Ampster; 07-06-2019, 03:46 AM.

Comment

• PNPmacnab
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Nov 2016

The solar world has been stuck on batteries for a long time. If the world ends as we know it, you need to learn how to live differently. You have a lot of power from those panels and you can just use it when it is there. Technically, you don't need batteries. I have refrigeration, hot water, dishwasher with heated dry, all the usual stuff and when I get around to it a clothes washer. And I've had no need for anything beyond my car battery. I do things when the sun shines. That is not where the market is and you can't get the equipment to do it. What are you going to do when you can't go down to Walmart and get another battery. I've watched a few prepper videos and the first thing that comes to mind is these people are all going to die in a real crisis.

Comment

• Mark2407
                            • Jun 2019

PNPmacnab, I LIKE the idea.
                            Saves at least Some of the $10K expense, without batteries.
                            If we don't open the fridge when the sun is down, it will stay cold for (8 or 10?) hours.
                            But I don't understand what you said about
                            "That is not where the market is. . ."
                            I think you mean that the market would rather I spend $ on batteries, Yes?
                            and
                            "and you can't get the equipment to do it."
                            What equipment are you referring to? Surely it is available somewhere?
                            I think I'd need an inverter to convert the panels DC to the house AC, Yes?
                            Could the existing inverter somehow be made to work?
                            Mark2407

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Thanks for the replies, people.

Jflorey: You mean Gas generators? But they're Noisy! IMHO, Solar is better because it's less noticeable/obvious.
                              You cannot protect people from themselves.
                              Last edited by Sunking; 07-06-2019, 10:25 PM.
                              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...