Buying suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying suggestions

Prob. answered 26 times - but something about a haystack... We're looking to buy a set of 2-way radios (4 or 6) at our slash/mulch site. bfslash.org Very busy parking lot truck/trailers coming in unloading branches, loading mulch, We have no power at the site. Solar charging would be available all day Mon. Wed. Fri. until 5pm Tues, Thur. Sun AM. So not a lot of use. Searching for 110v solar charge - ehh. I figure 1 panel and 1 inverter - but which ones? Suggestions please. Thanks

To size the panel, charger, battery and inverter we need to know how many watt hours the radios will use each day.

I would suggest getting a pure sine wave inveter because 110v electronic chargers usually like the power clean and pure.

Since the usage is not every day you may also want to look into an inverter type generator. It may be much cheaper to charge the radios from a fuel powered generator then from a solar / battery system.

Comment

Thanks. Hadn't thought of generator.

Comment

Originally posted by liderbug View Post
        Thanks. Hadn't thought of generator.
        The problem I see is that you will be using the radios during the day time so they won't necessarily be charging. At least with a small generator you can charge them either after you finish using them or first thing in the morning.

Besides. A solar / battery system ends up costing a lot more then you want to spend and based on my experience not work when the sun is not shining for a few days.

Comment

A shot in the dark......

I have worked quite a bit with various 2 way radio gear and have seen quite a few chargers that used a 12 volt "wall wart" to power the charger.

If yours do, you can eliminate the inverter and the wall warts. You can run the chargers "native" on 12 volts from your battery.

So, solar charges 12 volt battery during the day when the radios are in use. At night radio chargers draw power from the battery to recharge the radios.

Comment

Working...
          X